Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 56 (7,815 Views)
Accepted Solution

Dash 1.7.1526: cannot INSTALL WITH USB, that option is grayed out! Please help

[ Edited ]

I am trying to update the firmware on my Sony Dash HID C10.  I've downloaded the firmware update 1.7.1526 and saved the zip file to my USB.  I have followed the instructions perfectly.  At Step 6, I get the screen, but Checking Network... And Install from USB are both grayed out.  Only Cancel is available and when I choose Cancel, it aborts the procedure.  So obviously I cannot "Install from USB" and cannot finish the update.  

I've tried 2 different USBs, and made sure that I copied the zip file, and not the extracted files.  I'm following the instructions as written.

Any suggestions?  I plan to call Sony Support, but I work for a living, and they're probably not available on weekends, right?  

Geez, every 6 months to a year there is some big server or software issue.  So tired of all of this.

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 56 (7,773 Views)

Re: Dash 1.7.1526: cannot INSTALL WITH USB, that option is grayed out! Please help

I have the exact same issue.  I have tried 3 different USB drives all formatted FAT32.  I have made sure that the name is correct.   I have tried unzipping the folder or not.....   Wasted 3 hours on this thing today!!   No luck!! 

Expert
Message 3 of 56 (7,758 Views)

Re: Dash 1.7.1526: cannot INSTALL WITH USB, that option is grayed out! Please help

EXACTLY the same issue here. Im a PC tech, so I have tried every type of USB I have, have verified the file in UNarchived, made sure its listed as UPDATE.ZIP, have tried formatting on a mac with DU, in Windows as FAT32, and even standard FAT (which is FAT16 I believe) and still that entire special options screen is not responsive to touch. I cant reset to factory, and cant resume, and I cant update. Ive gone crazy with this. I talked to 5 reps at Sony who all referred me to the download page in the end. SIGH. I guess Its time to throw it out. But theres nothing like it. Guess I could always use a cheap android tablet in a dock. 

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 56 (7,734 Views)

Make sure your USB is format FAT32 and you have no other files in your usb. When you download or transfer  the file to the USB make sure the name of the file is update.zip if the file has a different name, you are going to get a grey option when prompt to update from USB. Do not remove the USB until you see the message "Update Successful"

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 56 (7,718 Views)

Tried all of that EXACTLY as you said and it is still greyed out.  Tried it with 3 different USB sticks all FAT32 and I made sure that the file name was correct and that there were no other files on the stick.  Not sure what else to try now.

Rookie
Message 6 of 56 (7,687 Views)

So i figured out what the issue was. I also have a mac (yosemite) and performed the following steps:

1. Go to disk utility

2. Find the usb drive 

3. Select the erase option

4. Make sure you select FAT(32) under format

5. Make sure you select Master Boot Record under scheme

6. Copy the file as normal and follow the sony instructions.

Before, I kept the scheme guid partition map. 

It should work. 

Expert
Message 7 of 56 (7,676 Views)

[ Edited ]

I guess my dash must be shot somewhere (or Im getting ready to shoot it!) I have tried all that you all mentioned. at least 3 dozen times alone today. 4 different usbs, some formatted on a mac, some on a pc, always fat32. Only file on the stick is update.zip . Ive tried OOOOOLD USBs, usb2.0 usb3.0. Even booting to special options without the usb in, the special options screen is still unresponsive. (But it works fine in clock mode..) SO .....Im at a loss. I guess ill try it all again tomorrow, new downloads, new usbs, all the same thing I tried today with no luck...just before I ditch it. Or use it for target practice. Oh yeah..its always MBR too, never GUID.  Sigh. 

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 56 (7,667 Views)

This is how I did it.

I grabbed a 16 gig USB and performed aq regular format. Then I formated again but this time as FAT32.

I downloaded the file and it automatically saved it on the DOWNLOADS folder and I then copied and pasted to my USB drive. The file was saved as update(1).zip because I alreday had saved a prior update. I tried to perform the update following the steps and I got the options greyed out. I came back to the computer and changed the name of the file to update.zip (lower case), saved it and tried it again. I got the same result. It was greyed out. I removed the USB and the power cord and again inserted the USB, and at the same time plugged the power cord and pressed the menu button. When I saw on the screen "hols the button for three seconds", I held the button for about 10 seconds and then I got the option to update via USB. I hope you have a better luck.

Expert
Message 9 of 56 (7,665 Views)

Thanks for trying grillochilango..Ive even used one of my professional formatters just to see..and yeah, Ive had to rename it to get rid of the (1) or (2) and then I deleted them and started from scratch again. Were you using a usb 2.0 or 3.0? (Did it have a blue tip on it?) Ive tried them all, but seems suspicious to me that its unresponsive on ALL of the buttons with or without a usb.
Rookie
Message 10 of 56 (7,609 Views)

Sorry, it's not working. I know how frustrating it can be, hence why i'm here. I made sure I emptied my trash can on my mac, redownloaded the file to have the update.zip (all lower case). I unplugged the dash, inserted the usb, plugged in the dash and helped the menu button until I got to the install from usb. 

i must've formatted the usb several dozen times. I could mail you my usb and see if that works.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook