Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Dash

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 11 of 56 (4,315 Views)

Re: Dash 1.7.1526: cannot INSTALL WITH USB, that option is grayed out! Please help

All, just wanted to share the fix.  New member just for this issue of grayed out USB option.

I had the same issue with the USB not showing up and try multiple things but here is how you fix your USB memory device so it works. .

You need to create a MBR master boot record onto the USB device.     This cannot be done by just formating the disk as FAT32.   Maybe it could work if it was a new USB or something else.    

Here is what I did adapted from another site:

0. Put the update.zip file somewhere other than the USB.. 

These steps will erase and format the USB. 

1. Open Command Prompt with administrator rights.
  • Type cmd in Start menu search box and hit Ctrl+ Shift+ Enter. (Or)
  • Go to Start menu > All programs > Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. 
2. Type and execute the following commands in the command prompt to use Disk Part tool:

DISKPART
    LIST DISK
    SELECT DISK 1               (here my flash drive disk no. is Disk 1)

CLEAN
    CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
    SELECT PARTITION 1   (this "1" doesn't mean what drive)
    ACTIVE
    FORMAT FS=FAT32         (Format process may take few minutes)
    ASSIGN

EXIT

3. Now the USB is wiped clean, it might even get a new drive letter,  and you should copy the update.zip to the USB and it should work.  It did for me.   

Rookie
Message 12 of 56 (4,283 Views)

Re: Dash 1.7.1526: cannot INSTALL WITH USB, that option is grayed out! Please help

I also had issues, but I fixed them. If you are using a Mac, when you format the drive as a MS-DOS (FAT32) drive, you must use the Master Boot Record scheme and NOT the default GUID Partition Map scheme. After changing the scheme to Master Boot Record, the update worked fine. Also, it would probably be best to not have anything on the flash drive other than update.zip.

Enthusiast
Message 13 of 56 (4,272 Views)

An important step. Do not do a quick format. Do a full format. It will take a little longer.
Rookie
Message 14 of 56 (4,263 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hallelujah!

Dash_USB_Update's solution (DISKPART etc.) worked for me. Sony, hire this man!

Thanks,Dash_USB_Update!

Rookie
Message 15 of 56 (4,205 Views)

[ Edited ]

Reformatting the usb thumb-drive using the diskpart command solved my installation problems.

Enthusiast
Message 16 of 56 (4,188 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am a Mac user. I have used Disk Utility to erase my USB and reformat as a MS-DOS (FAT) drive and have used the Master Boot Record option.

However, the INSTALL WITH USB option is still grayed out on my Dash.

Does anybody know if there is an equivalent fix to Dash_USB_Update's solution (DISKPART etc.) for the Mac?

Rookie
Message 17 of 56 (4,173 Views)

I did find out that I needed to have the usb in the dash before I applied power.  Only then would it recognize that there was an update image available.

Rookie
Message 18 of 56 (4,163 Views)

Mac user I found this article. 

Go there to see the images and it formated correctly. http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/user-support/the-right-way-to-format-windows-disks-using-a-mac/

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/user-support/the-right-way-to-format-windows-disks-using-a-mac/ 

----posted text---- 

Editing a partition table is a separate administrative task in Mac OS, distinct from merely erasing a volume, which is probably pretty smart. I ran into this problem because I was jumping between formatting schemes on my disk. If I had not wanted to change the disk format my drive was using, I wouldn't have encountered this issue. But then I would have missed out on a valuable learning experience, right?

If you want to make sure that the FAT32 disks you create with your Mac are completely Windows compatible, follow these steps:

Once your disk is selected, make sure to switch to the Partition palette, which is highlighted in Figure A. Figure A

On the Partition palette, follow the numbers.

Step 1: Use the Volume Scheme pull-down menu to chose the number of partitions you want (Figure B). Step 2: Go to the Options… pane and make sure Master Boot Record is selected (Figure C).

Step 3: Choose MS-DOS from the Format pull-down menu. Click Apply to reformat your drive.

Figure B

The Options pane in the Partition tool is very clear about what partition schemes can be used where.

Figure C

Using FAT32 volumes is a good way to share files across platforms if you use both MacOS and Windows. Apple's Disk Utility is a powerful tool for setting up such disks, but being ignorant of how to use its advanced options caused me a little trouble. Now that I have an understanding of the process, I won't make the same mistake twice.

Enthusiast
Message 19 of 56 (4,144 Views)

Thanks for doing the research and the quick reply!

Unfortunately, it seems that I had already followed the steps suggested in the article: format to MS-DOS (FAT) and to 'Master Boot Record' option.

The Disk Utility interface looks significantly different in the latest OSX (10.11 El Capitan) compared to when the article was written.

I'll have to try another USB key and/or formatting my current USB key using a PC before giving up on my Dash.

Apprentice
Message 20 of 56 (4,084 Views)

[ Edited ]

I initiated this thread, and am now happily using my Dash with the updated firmware 1.7.1526. I didn't need to follow any of the more complicated instructions as per some of the comments above. What I think did the trick was grillochilango's suggestion to do the full format of my old USB to FAT32. That is what I did, it did take a lot longer than the quick format, but it worked! I proceeded to follow the given instructions inserting my fully formatted FAT32 USB of about 2GB, which had the zip file AND all the contents of the zip file copied on the USB flash drive, plugged the Dash in to power back up, held the top button longer than the instructions provided (a good 10 seconds instead of only 3 seconds) and got the correct screens for updating the firmware, and all the selections were available to select on the screens (no more grayed out options.) Thank you Grillochilango!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook