Welcome to the Community!

F5 & F55

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 11 of 28 (1,932 Views)

Re: AES Audio options?

Any news? I am working with this camera in a few weeks and 4 channel input would be very useful.

Enthusiast
Message 12 of 28 (1,816 Views)

Is this implemented now? Can't see it in the firmware chart anymore. Thanks!
Enthusiast
Message 13 of 28 (1,762 Views)

I´m Also Waiting for Answer regarding this for the F55 ... Any New ?? Any Plan to Show us ...... ??

Message 14 of 28 (1,672 Views)

[ Edited ]

It is pushed out, no update as to when it will be implemented just yet

How urgent is it?

Regards

Peter

Highlighted
up4 Expert
Expert
Message 15 of 28 (1,642 Views)

Hi Peter, thanks so much for asking!

I can only speak for myself. But since the beginning, 24fps (SStP is the first codec to support it for now, thanks! I'm anxiously waiting for 4K XAV) and AES are my top priorities. I see somewhere that you are looking into AES42 as well. AES42 would also be groundbreaking for me because it allows connecting digital microphones (like Schoeps' SuperCMIT) directly into the camera.

In general, with 4 tracks you can start to be autonomous in small sets and not require the hiring of an extra recorder and then have the cost of synchronizing all the tracks in post.

I have the AJA ADA4 which turn the 2 2-channel AES input of the camera into 4 analog input. My usual setup involves on-cam ambient stereo pickup (in my case, with a custom ORTF suspension for Shoeps CCM4 mics). But, that's all I can afford right now. I need an extra recorder with either 2 wireless lavs or 1 lav and one shotgun, etc. But all of this could be eliminated if the 2 2-channel AES inputs were enabled.

Also, as a sidenote, why are there 8 tracks int the XAVC MXF? Will the extra 4 tracks ever be used?

Regards and thanks,

Vincent

Expert
Message 16 of 28 (1,598 Views)

On camera AES42 would make this such an amazing camera.  AES is one of the reasons I bought the camera.  Having to record to an external device is cumbersome, but until I can perform my A->D conversion with the hardware of my choice, I'm not going to be able to use the audio channels on the camera, except as a reference track.  

As for AES42, The Neumann digital mic is amazing - you really don't have to set levels at all.  I can scream into the mic or whisper, and it flawlessly captures the sounds.  A regular AES signal almost works, but the mics need phantom power to operate.

up4 Expert
Expert
Message 17 of 28 (1,594 Views)

Hi Greg,

I think AJA's ADA4 would fit your need: it can be attached to the camera via the battery's V-MOUNT and it does exactly what you need it to do: turn the 2 2-channel AES digital audio inputs into 4 XLR analog audio inputs.

We are all waiting for Peter on wheter or not the audio ports will support phantom power when in AES digital mode (AES42), but it shouldn't be too hard since that is already supported in analog mode…

Regards,

Vincent

Expert
Message 18 of 28 (1,592 Views)

Hi Peter,

Thanks for asking. Yes, this feature is very important, particularly to us TV producers that for various reasons (budget, ease of post, speed) prefer recording audio in-camera. I for one have a lifestyle series in production and we had to use multichannel recorder on our pilot because most of our scenes have 3 or 4 persons talking. Having the ability to record AES multichannel in-camera would make our life SO MUCH EASIER! 

Thanks!

Jiri Bakala
Ascent Films Inc.
250-212-1435
www.ascentfilms.com
Expert
Message 19 of 28 (1,582 Views)

what I need is AES42 that supplies phantom power to AES - AES42 is mostly the same protocol as AES with the addition of phantom power.  I'm trying to use the Neumann and Schoepps digital shotgun mics.  I have both of these mics, and they're amazing.  

Enthusiast
Message 20 of 28 (1,567 Views)

For this is a very important feature, replacing our pdw700s with f5s and b4 adapters is coming along very nice, but loosing 2 audio channels is very problematic. AES42 would be perfect.
Thanks

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook