Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

F5 & F55

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Message 11 of 14 (1,213 Views)

Re: Crop Factor, Sensor Size, Field of View

I shot Digibetacam for years then moved to HDcam which was a tank of a camera. Our show which is just about to come out on PBS was 90% shot on HDCAM HDW-730. Funny we are now doing digital storage on tape.... in LTO form.
Message 12 of 14 (1,117 Views)

Personally I HATE the term "crop factor" because its a relative term.  You have to know what a lens looked like on a completely different imager to make sense of it.  This 50mm on an F55 will look like a 75mm on a 5dM3... but what if I never shot on a 5dM3 (or other full frame camera)

I'd much rather deal with Field of View.  Oh, the 50mm on an F55 has a 26.6 degree horizontal field of view.  I know what to do with that.

Message 13 of 14 (818 Views)

What codec settings does this camera (PXW-Z450) offer? I am seeing an XAVC Intra (XAVC-I QFHD 300) as the highest quality level. So is this 4:2:2 or better?

Again the footage you showed looks very strong. I thought color was great. What is your analysis of how this holds up? Does this camera have a strong performance in f/stop range capture? I think most people are calling this HDR.... but this does not seem to have any internal RAW options. And finally does it take a lot of grading to get the results you are showing.

You are welcome to send that to my email. since this thread is about other subjects.

Message 14 of 14 (779 Views)

[ Edited ]

The Z450 can do XAVC-I @ 60P.  That's 600 Mbps 4:2:2 10-bit, just like the F55 and FS7.  I don't know of any cameras that can do XAVC at better than 4:2:2 10-bit.  

When you say "strong performance in f/stop range capture" I assume you are asking about dymanic range?   It has hypergammas,  so 800% DR (about 10 stops) when I used it last spring.  Now it has S-LOG3, so maybe 12 stops of DR today, but I have not used the camera since S-LOG was added.  I'll be shooting with a Z450 next month at the Olympics so maybe I can report back then with more info.

Yes, it takes some grading in Resolve to get the results in my demo reel, but not a lot.  I spent maybe 20-30 seconds on most shots.  In my opinion, EVERTHING needs to be graded in post with Resolve.  I'd no sooner take footage from any camera straight to a finished production than I would print still photographs without some manipulation in Lightroom or Photoshop.  The camera can get you 90% of the way there (and that will be good enough for some people) but I want that extra 10% push that has to be done in post.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook