F5 & F55

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert
Message 1 of 21 (2,108 Views)
Accepted Solution

Dead F5

Nearly at the end of a 3 week shoot in Italy. The camera has performed flawlessly until yesterday. It suddenly (between shots) decided to record only two-second clips. At first it acted like it was in interval recording...stop and start recording like timelapse. The only way to stop that was pull the battery. Now it's settled in to just recording two second clips when I push the record button. Interval recording in menu says it's off.

I've tried all reset a few times, all file restore, different lens/media/battery combinations, reformatting cards in and out of the camera, dropping recording down to HD...no joy.

So I guess what I'm asking is has anyone seen this behavior before? Am I missing something? Is there a secret reset sequence that might help that I don't know about? I can't get Sony on the phone on a Sunday so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Specs: F5 v5 with factory 4K option installed. I have been shooting mostly 4K to XQD cards in SxS adapters. I have 1 SxS card and it does the same thing.

JCummings
DP/Lighting Cameraman
cameralogictv.com
Expert
Message 2 of 21 (2,095 Views)

Re: Dead F5

[ Edited ]

Maybe a long shot.. but if you have REC as an assign button.. and try that.. at least you could know its not the actual REC button.. ?

Up date to V6.. nothing to lose.. ?

Expert
Message 3 of 21 (2,084 Views)

Thanks, that was a good idea Robbie so I tried that...didn't help.

Now I'm going to try updating to v6. Probably another long shot but what the heck...

I'll report back soon.

JCummings
DP/Lighting Cameraman
cameralogictv.com
Expert
Message 4 of 21 (2,077 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok good luck.. feel for you.. everyone has had that moment.. ! .. Im glad we are not pilots or surgeons .. 

Its a really weird thing to happen.. yes try V6.. nothing to lose .. 

Have you tried different frame rates ?

Expert
Message 5 of 21 (2,056 Views)

v6 did not fix it. I've now tried everything. The Sony is now packed in the bag of shame.

Luckily, our local second unit has a Canon C100 mark II I can borrow for our last three days.

Not ideal but better than crayons.

Canon saves the day!

JCummings
DP/Lighting Cameraman
cameralogictv.com
Expert
Message 6 of 21 (2,050 Views)

Sorry to hear. Sounds like something major then
Expert
Message 7 of 21 (1,777 Views)

do you have anything plugged into the hirosi ports?

An older optitek by chance?

The hirosi has a record trigger in it, if you have an older optitek unit or something with a faulty hirosi connector then it could be causing this.

Message 8 of 21 (1,687 Views)

John,

Did you send the camera into our service group?

Regards

Peter

Expert
Message 9 of 21 (1,637 Views)

Wasn't using the hirose port...appreciate the suggestion.

The camera is on it's way to Teaneck so I'll know more this week.

Should be interesting and I'll pass on what I find out.

Thanks again Peter for the follow-up on the phone.

JCummings
DP/Lighting Cameraman
cameralogictv.com
Expert
Message 10 of 21 (1,543 Views)

I had my F55 die about 9 months ago. It would not boot up at all, it would not even try (no Sony boot up screen). I tried everything that Sony suggested over the phone to no avail. I had to send it in to Sony at Teaneck and they fixed it. They had to do a complete restore and compared to a computer that just won't re-boot. I will be curious to hear what they find out happened to your camera. Please let us know.

I now always have a backup camera with me. Usually just a Canon 5D, but it's always in the back of my mind that it might happen again.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook