Welcome to the Community!

F5 & F55

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9 (1,264 Views)

F55/R7 Artifacts when Shooting X-OCN

Is anyone else experiencing artifacting on F55s using the R7 recorder? We've been having lots of issues in the field that we cannot make heads or tails of. Usually, this appears as a pink horizontal line, but we've had other examples such as white pixels that flit on and off and vertical banding noise.

Here are some examples:

- Flashing pixels (Yesterday)

- Pink horizontal lines (Yesterday)

- Flashing pixels & horizontal pink lines (Yesterday)

- More Pink Lines (April 2017)

- Corrupt AXS File (Mar 2017)

- Vertical banding noise (Feb. 2017) - Likely fixed in the firmware ver. 8 upgrade

- First Pink Lines (Feb. 2017)

We've been in contact with Sony many times but have not yet solved the problem. This includes multiple conversations with engineers, swapping boards on cameras and providing multiple sample files that contain problem footage. On top of it all, we've had more than one AXS card that has failed. 

We're a production company that takes cameras all over the globe to make the shows we make and Sony has always provided stellar products to make our shows something special. It was with that in mind that we chose to go with the F55/R7 for our current projects. We can't seem to solve this problem, however. Is anyone else experiencing the same kinds of issues?

Expert
Message 2 of 9 (1,248 Views)

Re: F55/R7 Artifacts when Shooting X-OCN

[ Edited ]

HFR no HFR? 120 @ 2K or 120 @ 4K?  

I've shot a lot with F55 + RAW with the R5 in both regular speed and 120 2K HFR and in wide range of contrast and lighting situations and never once seen something like this? Could this be R7 linked?

I would suggest that you might to try another F55 body with your R7 and see if you can recreate the problems with the pink. Also try an R5 with your F55. Basically the combination of testing should get you close to an idea of which device has the issue or if its a specific combination of body and AXS module.

Also check the proxies, just to see if anything shows up.

Expert
Message 3 of 9 (1,201 Views)

Whoa that's serious.

I'd hazard a guess that the reason you can't solve it, is because something is fundamentally broken, and I'm surprised that if you've been speaking to Sony themselves they haven't solved it.

Who specifically have you been dealing with at Sony?

Have you tried:

a) Same R7 on a different F55?
b) Same F55 different R7?
c) An R5?
d) Do the issues show up on XAVC files?
e) Do they show up in RAW, or just XOCN?
f) Are you on the latest firmware?
g) Do the issues show up when playing back in camera?
h) Have you tried different computer / different software in post? Catalyst Prepare, RAW Viewer, Resolve etc...?

I'd be interested to know specifically what Sony have done so far.
Expert
Message 4 of 9 (1,183 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've been shooting extensively with my F55/R7 since I got the new recorder in July and I have not had a single anomoly.  Not even one incident.  So I can't shed any light on what might be going on with your rig, but I suspect (and hope) it is an isolated issue and not a design or firmware problem.   I''ve been shootingt a mix of 4K RAW, XOCN-ST, XOCN-LT at all speeds from 30 to 120 fps, but mostly 120 because that's what I bought the R7 for.  Good luck sorting it out.

BTW, have you ruled out a playback issue in post?  I see that your frame grabs are from RAW Viewer, which I never use and don't even have on my Mac..  I view clips in Catalyst Browse and grade in Resolve Studio.  Are you seeing the same problems regardless of the software and/or computer being used to view the footage?  That's one place I would definately want to look at first.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 9 (1,086 Views)

We've also had good luck with F55 + R5. It's once of the reasons we were quick to jump on using the R7 so extensively (two series and a feature doc, so far).

We've tried many things on the bench and have been unable to reproduce issue experienced by crews in the field. Honestly, it seems to be a combination of F55 + R7 + 4K + 120fps + distance from home base. 

We've seen the issue with HFR and 23.98, though it's more likely to occur with HFR shooting.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 9 (1,081 Views)

Not a playback issue. We don't really use RAW Viewer in the workflow, but will take our screenshots from there to avoid Sony telling us that the problem is software.

We archive in Silverstack, generate dailies from Resolve and edit in Avid. The problem lies in the F55 + R7 combination, though we've had difficulty recreating the artifacts in house.

Expert
Message 7 of 9 (1,042 Views)

[ Edited ]

Like I said, I'm mainly shooting 4K HFR @ 120 fps with the R7 -- but my frequency is typically 29.97.  So if you are mostly running at 23.98 and I am running at 29.97, maybe that is a clue as to why we are having different experienses.  Who knows?

Expert
Message 8 of 9 (995 Views)

As I asked (amongst other thing, not answered yet) have you tried that R7 on a different F55, and a different F55 with that R7?
Expert
Message 9 of 9 (949 Views)

Yep that's what I was suggesting too, basically mix and match another F55 and another R7 and you'd be able to narrow it down to if it's your body or R7.  

Also when the R7 is disconnected, look at the tiny multi pin adapter where the R7 mates with the F55 and see if any pins are bent, fallen off or missing. I've actually seen it before.. maybe a bad signal is causing data to drop.

Hope you figure it out.  

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook