Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

F5 & F55

PeterC
Accepted Solution

Firmware Timeline

[ Edited ]

All,

Sony’s F55 and F5 4K cameras are now shipping, delivering some of the most advanced acquisition technologies available today. These new cameras support a significant amount of unique and very powerful features out of the box.

However, Sony continuously works to enhance any new technology we introduce to meet the constantly evolving needs of our customers. Our goal is to continue gathering industry feedback, listen to the opinions of the professionals who use these cameras every day, and then put that information back into our engineers’ hands.

In that spirit of continued collaboration, we want to share our planned timeline for releasing firmware updates and enabling new features of the F55 and F5. But more important, we want your input on the further development of these cameras.

In the coming months, we will expand on the cameras’ feature sets considerably, and always at no charge to the end user. The information in the timeline below represents our current plan and is subject to change based on user and market needs.

The below timeline does not reveal everything we are doing, there will be more features added that are not shown.

If you feel strongly about a feature that is not implemented immediately, please let us know. We encourage you to reply to this thread with your opinions on why you feel a particular feature should be moved up in the timeline.

Regards

Peter Crithary

Marketing Manager

Sony Electronics

http://www.sony.com/35mm

On Twitter

@CineAltaNews and @SonyProUSA

PMW-F5 Up Schedule Chart_FR7.pngPMW-F55 Up Schedule Chart_FR4.pngAXS-R5 Up Schedule Chart_FR6.pngrecordingformatschart_FR4_JPN.png

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
starcentral

Re: Firmware Timeline

Very nice diagrams Peter.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
NateWeaver

Peter,

Are Monitoring LUTs for S-Log avail on v1.0? I was with a camera that had v1.02 firmware a little over a week ago, and MLUT on the side control panel was greyed-out...but I realized there may have been some other choice active that was precluding it.

If they are not included in v1, I'd request they are moved up asap...exposing S-Log to it's potential requires a LUT somewhere in the chain...

www.nateweaver.net
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
iknuhp

I really like the policy of accepting direct user input to improve the product!
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Bill_Thomas

[ Edited ]

In regards specifically to HD capabilities, If RGB444 out over SDI is enabled at release in v.1, I would personally much rather have 120 fps HFR in XAVC much sooner then September compared to say SR444. Reason being, if a client demands 444 it can be provided with the nominal rental of a Gemini or updated SD PIX240. If they want HFR above 60p, we're out of luck and would force us owner operators to rent a RED, Alexa or FS700 to the production instead of our F5/55 and lose about grand a day towards ROI.

All things being loosely equal and not counting the 4K RAW capability, a F3 (which I own) can be accessorized to mimic 90% (1080 60p, S-LOG, 10 bit 422, RGB 444, MLUT's, etc) of what the F5 offers for the next 8 months. We all know the F5 will be a vastly superior camera to the F3 for a number of reasons, but for the first 5-10 months it's falling a little short of what was advertised.

Without being dramatic, I pre-ordererd a F5 back in November and Im now having serious reservations and may wait until September. For those needing 4K immediately or who dont already own a kitted out F3, these issues may not concern them as much. For F3 owners this firmware schedule is making a lot of us pause.

We really appreciate Sony's interest in hearing from us owner/operators and giving us a forum to directly address issue's.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
nkerezov

2K is MUST as soon as possible!

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
Matthewallard

Hi Peter,

I think both the F5 and F55 need a histogram display that can be outputted to the viewfinder. It's a glaring admission considering both the F3 and FS700 feature a histogram. Also false colour would be good to have to.
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Admitone

2K, particularly for the F5.
Noel Sterrett
Admit One Pictures
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
iknuhp

A histogram would be nice but I think a waveform would be better.
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
starcentral

I don't think a histogram is very practical for exposing SLOG and instead I would prefer something far more accurate and definitive such as a waveform monitor and failing that a spot meter function like the F3 so at least black, 18% grey, and white card reflectance values can be measured.

Please use plain text.