Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

F5 & F55

Top 40 Artist
JCummings

Re: Imagine SONY would let you upgrade an F5 to an F55 ...

[ Edited ]

As far as this thread goes, I think Sony deserves some of the blame for teasing us about future upgrades and enhancements on the F's. Like this from Doug Jensen, a well known Sony insider:

"Oh man, if I could only say something. There is a very interesting bit of news regarding the F5 that will create quite a stir. But you'll have to wait. Sorry."

In my view, Sony feels it must keep this 4K push going. I think their consumer divisions may very well need it for their survival. That means creating more 4K content across all industry sectors.

I will confess to having a great interest in the tools I use, and I'm always looking to get the most bang for my buck when it comes to buying gear. If this ends up being unfair for 55 owners...well, sorry about that. Sony apparently has their own agenda.

JCummings
DP/Lighting Cameraman
cameralogictv.com
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
ChongPak

when has sony been fair?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ghupka

JCummings wrote:

I will confess to having a great interest in the tools I use, and I'm always looking to get the most bang for my buck when it comes to buying gear. If this ends up being unfair for 55 owners...well, sorry about that. Sony apparently has their own agenda.

Haha... this is nothing.

The first camera I owned was a BVW-400 - bought from a company that had bought 2 just before the BVW-400A came out, and their main client demanded the 400A...  Suddently that $70,000 camera was worth less than half what they'd paid 6 months earlier.

And when you talk about "bang for your buck," you just can't compare these days - I mean, 10 years ago an F-900 could cost you $110,000.   Really not much to complain about with F-5/55

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
cameramanben

[ Edited ]

Ouch but lucky you ghupka!

A difference today is that my father had a Beta-SP that worked through the latter half of the eighties and well into the nineties. In the early/mid nineties he bought a Digi that saw out the century and then got bought by me as he wound down and I moved up, worked hard for a chunk of the decade and actually had its last week of work about two years ago (it surprised me when I got the call asking for Digi :-) ). The digi kept working alongside the likes of HDCam in no small part due to 10-bit and pretty benign compression.

Cameras were bloomin' expensive but had a long life and great returns. In recent years there has been a diminishing lifetime to gear and drive to shoot with flavour of the month.

I really appreciate that Sony has spent time and effort to make these cameras that are good to handle as well as versatile in shooting plus the promise of incremental addons and upgrades rather than obsolescence every 18 months. Let's hope they mean it and NAB brings us some exciting new toys to bolt on to our still current cameras.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
JCummings

I had an HDW730 Hdcam that lasted about 6 years before it blew out too many pixels. I was getting the same rates with that camera as guys were getting with F900's. Sorta reminds me of 55 vs F5 all over again...

JCummings
DP/Lighting Cameraman
cameralogictv.com
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ghupka

730 was great as long as your clients wanted interlace.  If I had bought one of those instead of an F-900, the 730 would have spent a lot of time sitting on the shelf while I had to use rental cameras to shoot 23,98, 25, or 30p.... It would have been a terrible purchasing decision for me.  Obviously with your client base it worked for  you... which is why it is so important to know your market before you buy a camera. 

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
JCummings

[ Edited ]

Exactly. Thats why I added the HDX900. Varicam owners whined about that camera, too.

JCummings
DP/Lighting Cameraman
cameralogictv.com
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
SimonBailey

Myself I wouldn't trade 2000 iso for global shutter.  The higher iso benefits every shot and especially higher frame rates. 

When I see companies promote global shutter with the example of helicopter rotor blades it cracks me up. I'd never want to shoot rotors with a high shutter, I want that completely blurred which has the added benefit of not seeing and bend.

Simon Bailey

overseafilms.com

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
JCummings

Which sorta brings me back back on topic.

I remember Betacam D600 guys moaned about D30 users.

F900 owners whined about 730 owners poaching their gigs with a lesser camera.

HDX900 owners did the same to guys that plunked down $60K for a Varicam.

I owned all those upstart cameras and did very well with them.

If the F5 gets any significant upgrade path, 55 owners will probably complain as well.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

JCummings
DP/Lighting Cameraman
cameralogictv.com
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
JCummings

[ Edited ]

Global shutter has never been an issue for me. But I don't shoot for NFL Films or NASCAR, either.

Loved your Australian Open film, Simon. That footage actually convinced me to buy an F5.

JCummings
DP/Lighting Cameraman
cameralogictv.com
Please use plain text.