Welcome to the Community!

F5 & F55

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert
Message 1 of 6 (1,812 Views)

Linear vs. circular pola?

I've been using a Schneider circular pola on my F5 since I received the camera and have never really thought about it, but the filter broke on my last shoot so now I am in the market for a new pola.  Now that I am looking at filters I find myself questioning whether or not I need a circular pola.  Is there any reason to think that a linear would negatively effect exposure tools (as they become available) on the F5 or the waveform on my external monitor?

Please excuse my ingnorance on this subject.

Thanks,

Nick

Expert
Message 2 of 6 (1,781 Views)

Re: Linear vs. circular pola?

The F55 like any video camera does not use a beam-splitter for monitoring; so I don't think a circular pola is necessary. This discussion seems to cover it:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3108570

Cheers

John

Expert
Message 3 of 6 (1,739 Views)

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't be so quick to discount the need for a circular polarizer.  Previous Sony cameras, such as the EX1 and EX3, had serious color shifts when linear polarizers were used.  I don't own any linear filters now so I can't do any testing for you with my F55.

------------------------------------------
Doug Jensen, Vortex Media

In-depth Training Videos and Books for the FS7, FS5, Z150 and F55 camcorders

Expert
Message 4 of 6 (644 Views)

good to know thanks! I have not noticed any problems either but the statement sure makes me wonder if there is a possibility of issues under certain conditions

Doug
Douglas Munro CSC
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 6 (500 Views)

I've used only linear polas
Reuben Steinberg
reubendp.com
@reubendp
Expert
Message 6 of 6 (349 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, Nick,

Reuben is correct, linear polarizers are all you need for an F5 or F55, since they have a single image sensor design.

Other video cameras which have three image sensors, like the EX1 and EX3 mentioned above, require circular polarizer due to the use of a prismatic colour beam-splitter in their sensor block.  The beam-splitter, by its nature, causes a polarizing effect for the respective colour it passes.  A linear polarizer and the prism compound each other to almost completely block any particular colour as the polarizer is rotated.

A circular polarizer is actually two filters. The front filter, toward the incoming light polarizes the light in the same way as a linear polarizer, because that is what it is. The back filter, toward the sensor block, "spins" the polarized light so that it isn't polarized any more and does not compound the polarizing effects of the beam-splitter.

You may have noticed if you have ever used two polarizers together that you get a variable ND filter.

Isn't it wonderful how light and glass interact?

Best regards,
Will

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook