Welcome to the Community!

F5 & F55

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 6 (1,507 Views)

Maximum Hours of PMW-F55

I am wondering what folks are experiencing on their F55 usage. How many hours are you seeing on the usage as a current high number?

Perhaps this is a care issue? or perhaps it might even be a bragging rights thing.

What do you think you maximum number of hours might be?

Thanks,

Tim

Expert
Message 2 of 6 (1,473 Views)

Re: Maximum Hours of PMW-F55

4kTRBBirdman wrote: . . . or perhaps it might even be a bragging rights thing.

Hours on the camera's meter do not necessarily correllate with money earned with the camera -- and that is the metric that matters most. :-)

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 6 (1,405 Views)

• Well Sir, since I became a cameraman in 1992, I've worked on wildlife and birds. My motivations may be very different than yours.
  • My question really revolves around a simple concept of hours of use.
  • Formerly, since drums and tape were involved the number of hours was a very important thing. One would have to have drums replaced etc.
  • Now recording happens in an entirely different manner. So my quesiton is pertinant in that do specific parts suffer during recording and how does the number of hours affect the life of a highend camera like a PMW-F55?
  • Can these cameras run for ten thousand hours without degradation of image Quality? Perhaps up to 50,000 hours? I am seeing cameras with 800, 1100, 2400 hours for sale, considering purchase of a second camera and wondering about these things.

Thanks,

Tim

Expert
Message 4 of 6 (1,384 Views)

[ Edited ]

And those are all good questions and concerns when evaluating used cameras, but I still don't understand what you meant when you said  "perhaps it might even be a bragging rights thing" in regards to hours on the camera's meter.  Anyone can run up hours on the meter just by carelessly leaving the camera turned on all the time.  That is hardly something to brag about. :-)

Getting back to your root question, I have no idea how many hours the cameras have in them before they die or suffer diminished picture quality.  But I'm sure the timer is ticking whenever the camera is turned on. Everything wears out eventually.  And because of that,  I do try to limit the hours on my cameras to maximise their resale value to people who do look at meters.  But personally, if I was looking at buying a used camera, I would be less concerned about hours on the meter than overall wear and tear on the camera and having a good evaluation of the picture quality and oepration of all the controls.

My advice is to buy from a successful owner/operator who takes care of their gear.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 6 (1,369 Views)

I think the "bragging rights" thing goes back to how beautfully my Grandfather took care of his cars. When we were allowed to get inside, it still smelled like brand new leather. We were not allowed to put our feet on a seat -ever!

Following along the lines you are suggesting- those of us who do care for things- might build up a very high number of hours- without diminishing anything in terms of image.That is the most important thing for me.

But even though I appreciate your comments above, I still relate to my original HDCams and other previous cameras... at certain stages and at specific points in time one knew that the heads would be needing replacement. So my question may need to be answered by someone at SONY. Perhaps we just don't know this answer yet- either...

Thanks,

Tim

Expert
Message 6 of 6 (1,300 Views)

Tim,

In the service manual there are a few notes regarding recommended replacement of parts due to wear/degradation over time. However none of these are the actual image capture components of the camera.

Lithium battery (for storing the time/date/timecode): When the warning message is displayed on LCD monitor/viewfinder screen.

DC fan: about 5 years (I assume these means 5 years of hour meter use, rather than 5 calendar years from manufacture date)

Battery terminal: about 5 years

If the terminal of connector is deformed or bends due to vibrations or shock, or if the surface of the terminal corrodes due to long-term outside use or other similar use, the unit may malfunction. Replace the battery terminal immediately if the terminal is deformed or bends, or if the surface color changes.

Internal ND filters:

It can become nebulous (in transpar- ent and whitened) with elapse of time. Then it will not meet it the required characteristics. Replace it as needed.

Personal additional note: I've only once heard of a user on these forums/the Facbook group experiencing this issue. That was Alister Chapman.

Rubber caps for port/socket/connector covers:

Check for deformation and deteriora- tion (abraded or damaged or lost) from time to time. Replace it as necessary.

Personal additional note: It has been discovered by some users that if the VF port cap is missing it might cause light leak issues onto the sensor in some cases. Simple solution is covering with electrical or gaffer tape.

You probably also know that older serial number cameras have to be sent to a Sony service centre to be upgrade to Firmware v8.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook