Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

F5 & F55

PeterC
Accepted Solution

NEW Firmware release Version 2.1

[ Edited ]

All,

We are pleased to release new firmware for the F5, and F55 cameras. This is Version 2.1

The big news in this release is support for 4K Live via the upcoming CA-4000 Fiber adapter for the F55.

Other enhancements in this release for both F5, F55 are noted below.

Picture3.png     

Picture4.png

PMW-F55/F5 Firmware Version V2.1 Release note

Nov 6th, 2013

This document explains about firmware update of PMW-F55/F5 V2.0 to V2.1.  The latest firmware version of related products is below.

Product name

Latest firmware

Release date

PMW-F55/F5

V2.1

This announcement

AXS-R5

V2.0

Oct 4th 2013

AXS-512S24

V1.2

June 5th, 2013

AXS Utility Software

V1.2

Oct 4th 2013

RAW Viewer

V2.0.1

Oct 21st 2013

This firmware can be updated from any existing firmware version of PMW-F55 and PMW-F5 directly. After updating to V2.1, F55/F5 must not be downgraded to previous version.

Attention:

When you directly update F55 and F5 to V2.1 from V1.15 and earlier, you must do “All Reset” in System menu. Otherwise V2.1 software becomes unstable. If you want to maintain menu setting before update, please save “All File” in File menu and load it after updating. If you had already updated F55 and F5 to V1.20 and later and did “All Reset”, you don’t need to do “All Reset” again.

<<Modification from V2.0 to V2.1>>

<Functional Improvement>

1. Double speed drive mode of View Finders

Double speed drive mode of View Finders (DVF-EL100/L350/L700) is available on “VF Setting” Menu in 23.98, 24.0, 25.0 and 29.97 System frequency. This function can reduce flicker on the VF. When in HDCAM SR File recording mode, S&Q motion, Slow Shutter and over 180 degree shutter angle is selected, this function is not available.

2. Wind noise cut filter function

F55/F5 gets a wind noise cut filter on “Audio Input” Menu.

3. Additional Wi-Fi remote control

Wi-Fi Remote control has a “control lock” function and a display for connection status on right-upper area. And you can control following Camera Menus items on the Setup Menu page.

Category

Menu item

Camera

Slow Shutter

S&Q Motion

Noise Suppression

Flicker Reduce

Audio

Audio Output

Video

Output On/Off

Output Format

Output Setting

New Setup Menu page

Output Display

VF

Marker

Recording

MPEG2 Proxy

Rec Control

SDI Rec Control

Media

Format Media

Clip Naming

File

All File

Scene File

User Gamma

Lens File

System

Original Camera Control page

System Setting

Base Setting

Rec Format

Fan Control

menu1.png

menu2.png

4. Additional HD Edge Crop Output on RAW mode

HD Edge Crop Output from SDI connector is available in RAW mode. This function is selectable on “4K/2K to HD Conv.” in “Output Setting” Menu.

<Notification we should share with users>

1. Rec Tally of F55/F5 and R5

On RAW Recording, actual starting recording is delayed from lighting F55/F5 Rec tally. In order to avoid miss shooting, please check R5’s tally. It is synced with RAW recording correctly. We will fix it by V3.0 at the end of December.

2. DVF-EL100 Brightness level

When DVF-EL100 installed V1.1 firmware which has False Color function is used with F55/F5 V2.1 or V2.0, Brightness level is back to default setting(zero) after rebooting. We will fix it by V3.0 at the end of December.

3. Iris servo control by RM-B Series

When RM-B series remote controllers are connected and lenses which can control Iris servo is attached and controlled, Iris servo is awkward sometimes. When this situation occurs, please switch off the Iris Position character on VF and SDI output on “Display On/Off” Menu. We will fix it by V3.0 at the end of December.

<< Version up procedure >>

Please refer to “Version Up Guide for PMW-F55 and F5”.

Downloads:

F5

http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/cat/camcineprod/downloads/PMW-F5_V210_2.10_22_2013-11-02_23...

F55

http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/cat/camcineprod/downloads/PMW-F55_V210_2.10_21_2013-11-02_2...

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
starcentral

Re: NEW Firmware release Version 2.1

[ Edited ]

Nice updates indeed. Great work!

Peter, are there any updates on the following? Either whether or not these are coming and any approximate timeline. Cheers,

♢ Fix to allow output over HDMI and test out (analog) for 23.98p, 24p, 60p modes? The 25p, 29p and 50p modes currently do work so how is it they are not available for 24/60p standards? The lack of this has removed a lot of support for legacy equipment including; steadicams, jib/crane with remote motor heads, wireless transmitters, and worse 95% of external monitors or viewfinders.

♢ In-camera LUT for use with slog2 gamma.

♢ Full size wavefom monitor with markings of % IRE.

♢ Any chance of a spot meter feature with center marking. (Like on the PMW-F3)

Dennis Hingsberg

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
KirkDP

Peter,

Thanks for another great update. The Wifi "App/Browser" is getting closer to perfect... do you know if there is any plan for intagrated clip logging?

It would be very poweriful if the AD or PA could sit with an Ipad/phone/computer and log takes within the app. Mark buys, add notes, etc.

I have been looking for an alturnative for pen and paper, and the wifi app is almost there.

Thoughts?

Has anyone found a good metond of using the wifi for clip logging on set?

Thanks,

Kirk

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
JamesEwen

Hi Peter,

Its great to see new features being added to the camera, particularly in the audio dept. The wireless control advancements look excellent but are fairly academic until there is an improvement with connectivity to the wireless LAN module. I would love to see it working but up until now I cannot rely on a connection. Are there any plans to address this with an improved unit?

Thanks again,

James Ewen

Earthmedia Film

Oslo, Norway

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
PeterCorbett

The double speed VF mode works nicely with the OLED; definitely sharpens up for focussing on pans.  It looks like 50P when shooting 25P so I will have to check that I have 180deg shutter on more often!

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
www.php.com.au
https://vimeo.com/64218310
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
alanf

Re: NEW Firmware release Version Trouble following 2.1-update

Back to square one with 2.1 ugrade. The stubborn problem some of us had where the SONY logo shows AND STAYS in the sub display is back. Camera is now inoperative. The power switch is once again inoperative and so I must remove the battery to turn off the unit. What happened in the 2.1 firmware upgrae that casued this behavior to return, a behavior which i had thought was finally eradicated with 2.0? 

Sony - I had to switch the camera off, remove the battery to power down, and then reattach the battery and to try turn the f55 on again. Except, it is not getting past the SONY sign on the Sub Display.

Please use plain text.
PeterC

Re: NEW Firmware release Version Trouble following 2.1-update

Alanf,

Did you do the All Reset procedure as required?

Call our POSC support and they will walk you through it

Product Operations Support (POSC) 1-800-883-6817 Options 2 -> 5 -> 2 on the phone tree

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
PeterC

Dennis,

We already support HDMI and Test output in 23.98p, 24.0 and 60p. Check the Operation manual page 82 and 83

http://community.sony.com/t5/F5-F55/NEW-F5-and-F55-user-manual/m-p/185117#M5941

Do you want to use the LUT in Custom mode?

In Version 3.0, we will support S-Log2 recording to SxS and MLUT output to SDI in Cine-EI mode. 

Regarding the full size waveform and spot meter, we are looking into it but cannot confirm if we can do it yet

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
PeterC

[ Edited ]

Kirk,

You may want to check out the up coming "CBK-WA100"

http://community.sony.com/t5/F5-F55/Proxy-encoding-and-streaming/m-p/115753#M1929

Brief details below, and PDF brochure attached

Enables easy transmission of content over a wireless network significantly accelerating the workflow

The CBK-WA100 adapter connects directly to a camera and allows XAVC proxy files to be created and then saved on an SD card in the adapter. The CBK-WA100 is then able to upload the proxy content and the original high-resolution content (depending on the model) via 3G/4G/LTE/Wi-Fi* to a broadcast station, on-premises server or to a cloud environment.

Tablet or smartphone control via Wi-Fi

By supporting Wi-Fi connectivity, the CBK-WA100 allows tablets or smartphones to interact with it and control it via Sony’s Content Browser Mobile application. This connectivity for XDCAM camcorders allows users on their mobile device to remotely control the camera, logging metadata on set and reviewing content without having to connect a monitor to the camcorder.

* For wireless transmission, Wi-Fi/3G/4G/LTE dongles are necessary. For Wi-Fi dongle, Sony’s “IFU-WLM3”, 2.4GHz Wi-Fi dongle is available. As for the Modem dongle, recommended model differs country by country depending on carrier.

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
starcentral

PeterC wrote:

Dennis,

We already support HDMI and Test output in 23.98p, 24.0 and 60p. Check the Operation manual page 82 and 83

http://community.sony.com/t5/F5-F55/NEW-F5-and-F55-user-manual/m-p/185117#M5941

Do you want to use the LUT in Custom mode?

In Version 3.0, we will support S-Log2 recording to SxS and MLUT output to SDI in Cine-EI mode. 

Regarding the full size waveform and spot meter, we are looking into it but cannot confirm if we can do it yet

Regards

Peter

Much obliged, I will test this immediately, thank you so much! I can't believe I missed this and embarrased for my rants.

Regarding the LUT, I think it is most needed for SLOG2 to SXS cards, but having it available for custom profiles might be nice as an option, however me personally I would not be adding LUT to customer pp.

I understand there are limits to full screen waveform in terms of processing, a spot meter for nailing exposure like on the PMW-F3 would be great for easy metering on grey or white card critical for good use of slog.

Thanks Peter/Sony! 

Dennis Hingsberg

Please use plain text.