Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

F5 & F55

PeterC
Accepted Solution

New F5 & F55 Firmware release Ver. 1.03

All,

We are releasing an important update PRIOR to v1.1. All owners of the F5, F55 should download and update their cameras.

New F5 & F55 Firmware release Ver. 1.03

This firmware is not part of a scheduled release.  It is an interim release to provide immediate correction to the “black edge on highlights” issue reported by some users.  This issue rarely occurs with Ver. 1.02 only when shooting with S-Log2 or HyperGamma selected; it is not present in RAW or Standard Gamma recordings. Future scheduled releases will also contain this improvement.

To install Ver. 1.03 update follow these simple steps:

1. Download the appropriate update for your model (F5 or F55) to your computer. (Links below)
  2. Unzip the contents of the file into an empty folder.
  3. Connect the camera to a power supply.  It is recommended to also connect  a fully charged battery as a backup in  case of a power service failure.  The camera may not power up again if power is lost during the update procedure.
  4. Insert an SD card on the camera to be updated.
  5. Invoke the menu, navigate to “Media” and then execute  “Format” SD card”.
  6. Remove the freshly formatted SD card from the camera, insert it in the computer and copy the two unzipped update files to the root of the SD card.
  7. Insert the card in the camera, invoke the menu, navigate to and enter “System”.
  8. Next navigate to “Version” and execute “Version UP”
  9. From this point on, do not disconnect or turn the camera power off!!!
  10. The camera will indicate the update progress on the viewfinder and side panel LCD.
  11. After a few minutes, the camera will indicate that the firmware updated successfully and indicate to cycle the power OFF/ON.
  12. Done!

If you do not feel confident to perform the firmware update, you can bring or ship the camera to a Sony Professional Service Depot.  There is no charge for the firmware itself, but labor chargers will apply.

Eastern Service Facility Teaneck                                Western Service Facility Los Angeles

Sony Service Center                                                     Sony Service Center

Sony Electronics, Inc.                                                   Sony Electronics, Inc.

123 W. Tryon Avenue                                                   2706 Media Center Dr., Ste. 130

Teaneck, New Jersey 07666                                        Los Angeles, California 90065

Voice: 201-833-5300                                                    Voice:  323-352-5000

FAX: 323-352-5039                                                       FAX:  323-352-5039

E-mail: TeaneckService@am.sony.com                       E-mail: LAService@am.sony.com

Sony thanks you for your continued trust in our commitment to excellence and as your manufacturer of choice when investing in high quality professional tools.

Download F5

http://pro.sony.com.edgesuite.net/tp/downloads/PMW-F5_GM3_Release_1_03_8_2013-02-20_13-13-56_firmwar...

Download F55

http://pro.sony.com.edgesuite.net/tp/downloads/PMW-F55_GM3_Release_1_03_9_2013-02-20_13-11-21_firmwa...

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
starcentral

Re: New F5 & F55 Firmware release Ver. 1.03

:smileyhappy:  Awesome work, fast too!

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
reubendp

Installed and tested. The firmware is actually a VERY nice improvement. Thank you Sony

Now just get apple off their ****** to get xavc support and we'll have something :-)
Reuben Steinberg
reubendp.com
@reubendp
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
simonP

Thanks Peter,

Easy to do and quick

What's next :smileywink:

Simon Priestman

Simon Priestman
UK
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
derk

Hi Peter,

I have just looked at my F55 and the 'Version' number that my camera has is Number V1.00.

The latest update is here is V1.03 and it seems that i am missing a update?

I don't really want to update the camera with out the missing version and it probably won't let me update until V1.02 is installed?

Is this something that should have happened before i received my F55 or have i missed a update?

If i have missed a update where can i find it or/and would you be able to supply a link to V1.02?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
NicolasBilodeau

Thank's for the update! Already installing...

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
NateWeaver

derk wrote:

Hi Peter,

I have just looked at my F55 and the 'Version' number that my camera has is Number V1.00.

The latest update is here is V1.03 and it seems that i am missing a update?

I don't really want to update the camera with out the missing version and it probably won't let me update until V1.02 is installed?

Is this something that should have happened before i received my F55 or have i missed a update?

If i have missed a update where can i find it or/and would you be able to supply a link to V1.02?

You can skip updates, and I can promise you that you do not want 1.01 or 1.02

Do not delay, update to 1.03 right away.

www.nateweaver.net
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Bill_Thomas

Nate, aside from correcting the “black edge on highlights” issue, have you noticed if the update corrects or improves anything else?

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
derk

All done, thanks for the quick reply and info!
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
reubendp

[ Edited ]

1.0.3 update

edge enhancement is dramaticallly improved, 1.0.3 removes the subtle artifacting that was present in firmware 1.00.  

this update made the image even cleaner and smoother

menu seems just slightly more responsive as well

Reuben

Reuben Steinberg
reubendp.com
@reubendp
Please use plain text.