F5 & F55

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 8 (2,935 Views)
Accepted Solution

Version 8 firmware no longer available???

I was planing to update my F5 to version 8. (Yes, my camera has the proper SN for end user update) But when I select the link on the Sony Pro resource page. It is no longer is available. Anyone having the same issue? Does anyone have a working link?  Maybe something new coming soon?

Example link here:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/cat-cinealta/product-PMWF5/

Thanks in advance.

Expert
Message 2 of 8 (2,898 Views)

Re: Version 8 firmware no longer available???

[ Edited ]

Here in Europe the firmware has been pulled from the web. In order to get a copy you have to contact prime support or a service center providing the serial number of your camera, current firmware level and any options installed. Then, if your camera is safe for a user upgrade they will issue you with a copy of the firmware and the update instructions appropriate for your serial number. If not they will advise you as to where you need to send it or take it for the update.

My understanding is that despite all the warnings there have been a lot of people that have tried to install the firmware on cameras where the install proccedure is different. The end result being the need to replace one of the logic boards which is very expensive. To prevent this Sony Europe are requiring the serial number before releasing the firmware to you.

In Europe you should email Prime Support: PrimeSupport@eu.sony.com They will normally get back to you very quickly.

In the USA I would suggest contacting:

United States service centers:

Eastern Service Facility
Teaneck

Sony Service Center
Sony Electronics Inc.
123 W. Tryon Avenue
Teaneck, New Jersey 07666
Voice: 201-833-5300
FAX: 201-833-5312
E-mail: TeaneckService@am.sony.com

Western Service Facility
Los Angeles

Sony Service Center
Sony Electronics Inc.
2706 Media Center Drive; Suite 130
Los Angeles, California 90065
Voice: 323-352-5000
FAX: 323-352-5039
E-mail: LAService@am.sony.com

In Canada:

Sony of Canada (Customer Service Solutions Group)
Service Operations
211 Placer Court
Toronto, Ontario , M2H 3H9

Sony Montreal Service Center
Sony du Canada Ltée
2886 Boulevard Daniel‐Johnson
Laval, QC H7P 5Z7

Fusion Cine
1469 Venables Street
Vancouver, BC V5L 2G1
Professional Technical Support (Vancouver)

Please have the following details ready:

First name

Last name

Email address

Company name if applicable

Business Phone

Country*

Which product do you own?      

Serial Number (6 digit number)

Which firmware version is currently installed?

And confirm if the CBK-55PD option installed?*

Expert
Message 3 of 8 (2,889 Views)

[ Edited ]

That's strange... the link provided above has just worked for me and I downloaded V8 exactly as before...

(PMW-F5_V800_8.00_19_2016-09-19_18-45-56_firmware.bin)

This arrived on my mac in a zipped folder with intructions as before. SR, you might want to try again following all the "I agree" pages!

It doesn't look to have been pulled from that site?

(I'm sure there is something new comming soon... but I bet it's not firmware !!!) Smiley Wink

Expert
Message 4 of 8 (2,879 Views)

Hmmm, it wasn't there yesterday and it is not available on the EU site, instead you are directed to Prime Support.

https://www.sony.co.uk/pro/support/software/SET_BPE-SS-1039/180

Expert
Message 5 of 8 (2,846 Views)

[ Edited ]

I can't help wondering if it wouldn't have been cheaper for Sony and easier for all of us if they hadn't simply provided the roll-back firmware and separate instructions in order to allow those 1560 users to upgrade their F5/55 immediately.  I wouldn't have thought it was beyond the capabilities of most owners of this camera?

If you've ever upgraded (or downgraded) your camera before... you already know what's involved. 

Expert
Message 6 of 8 (2,840 Views)

[ Edited ]

The steps needed to install V8 on an early camera are quite involved. One incorrect step and the main processor board is destroyed. If Sony were to provide a way to do it and people did get it wrong who is going to pay for the very expensive board replacement? "You told me I could do it so I did........"

There are several people that have not read all the warnings and gone ahead and tried to install V8 on a camera that needs the extra steps. If you can't even get people to read the warnings, what hope have you got of people completing a tricky upgrade correctly?

I'd rather let Sony take the risk. It's only those with an affected camera that have any real delay. If your camera is not an early one you just get sent the firmware. It seems a sensible way to do it to me.

Once a camera has been upgraded to V8 there is no way to safely roll it back, but future updates will be straight forward even with older cameras.

Apprentice
Message 7 of 8 (2,829 Views)

Thanks everyone for your help.
Expert
Message 8 of 8 (2,408 Views)

got my f55 back today, can't wait to test the 'new' codecs and compare it with the RAW images.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook