Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

F5 & F55

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert
Message 1 of 10 (1,700 Views)

Wireless SDI Video Transmitters - Which One?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking into options for a no-nonsense, connects-and-stays-connected wireless system for Director/Client monitoring. Of the options I can find, the obvious choices seem to be either the Arrow-X from Paralinx, the Bolt Pro 600 from Teradeck or the Recon X5 from Switronix.

All three options claim a similar range 700' for the Paralinx, 600' for the Teradeck and 500' for the Switronix. The Teradeck is the priciest of the three (by some margin) but offers both SDI and HDMI inputs (which could make it more versatile down the road should I opt to put a small camera on a gimbal or drone); the Paralinx offers the best range of the three, but just has SDI, it's the middle option price-wise; the dark horse is the Switronix Recon X5, which is just SDI and has a slightly shorter range (500'), but is the cheapest of the three and offers the advantage of a passthrough v-mount connection - so you can simply mount it on the camera's v-mount plate, slap a v-mount battery on the back of the transmitter and you're powered and ready to shoot (reduces clutter on the camera and speeds up setup times).

I'd be keen to hear people's thoughts on these three (particularly the Switronix, which I can find NO information on). And any other suggestions people might have.

Cheers,

Mark

Expert
Message 2 of 10 (1,652 Views)

Re: Wireless SDI Video Transmitters - Which One?

Ha,

just came back from a shoot where i rented the ikan system and was devastated how bad it was...

my NyriusPro 300ish dollar HDMI Transmitter had the way more stable double range than this 

system....

i strongly recommend each system before you buy....

Expert
Message 3 of 10 (1,588 Views)

Just bought IDX CW3.. very light and small.. but can take an age to connect.. but once it does very stable.. 

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 10 (1,574 Views)

Hi.

I had experienced some of your choices... The Switronix broke very quickley. IDX worked nice but also didn't last. Teradeck worked good (and still does). 

They are all limited in range and very sensitive. The safe operating range is alot less than they all say.

I've seen tests (on YouTube..) of the Boxx which seems great but at a higher price range.

Nab Rookie
Rookie
Message 5 of 10 (509 Views)

Hello,
I have just purchased a HD SDI Transmission System Switronix RECON X5, but the image transmitted is slow, someone could tell me is that it is just a simple adjustment or it is the hardware that is made like this please ?
Expert
Message 6 of 10 (445 Views)

[ Edited ]

I use a Lilliput system.  The TX is permantly mounted to the F5 and the receiver is integrated with the monitor. 

Very simple and little to go wrong.  2 channels of audio and a range of about 35 to 50 m.

The downside is a 1:1 setup.  You can only receive on one monitor.

All up around $750.

http://lilliputweb.net/665-p-wh.html

PM me if you want extra info...

Jack
F5
Sydney
digiteyes.com.au
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 10 (420 Views)

With some experience with wireless video systems I would definitely stick with Teradeck or Paralinx. The zero delay systems are solid stuff. The inside is quite the same. I didn't like Boxx at all, beside being over priced.

Expert
Message 8 of 10 (403 Views)

Yes - Teradek or Paralinx. From Experience on chepaer end go fo Paralinx. They are pretty much same company now anyway but had to sent Teradek 3 times now to USA to be fixed while never had issues with Paralinx systems. If you going for high end options then Teradek is the better oprion.

Rafal Tyslewicz
Technical Supervisor @ SLV London
Colourist, Editor, Camera
www.raf.guru
Expert
Message 9 of 10 (247 Views)

I've got a Bolt Pro 600 with a panel antenna for the main reciever and a sidekick for the portable directors monitor. Rock solid and never had any issues, it just works.

Apprentice
Message 10 of 10 (167 Views)

Is range the key factor?

If not the Paralinx Arrow literally lives on my camera. It's USB powered (which I power from the USB port under the side display - powers on and off with the camera) and tiny!

Good for 50m (150') which I've found to be ample for a directors monitor.

On bigger shoots though I've got the Teradek Bolt Pro 2000. At that end of the price spectrum they're all fantastic systems. The middle (price) ground is the danger zone, in terms of hit and miss. At least with the cheaper options you're not dissapointed in performance as expectations aren't the same.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook