F5 & F55

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 4 (1,996 Views)

Workflow and NLE advise

Will start with my F55 shortly. Intention is to shoot XAVC 4K and (simultaniously shoot or create) HD proxy for editing purpose. Post will be done in Resolve.

What's the best workflow and what is currently the best NLE for this? Mac based.

Cees van Kempen
www.iwp-wildlife.com
Expert
Message 2 of 4 (1,966 Views)

Re: Workflow and NLE advise

[ Edited ]

I wrote about this somewhere here once upon a time, but google "Davinci Resolve Round trip FCP" and you can find some more info on it.

Basically;

• Shoot 4k and either simultaneous proxy, or later in post create your own proxy files from the 4k XAVC files using the batch process in Resolve. It is painless. One advantage of using Resolve to do it is you can get ProRes files with instead of Sony MPG and Davinci will fully preserve the timecode which is needed for later. I have written guides on how to create proxies using Davinci (http://cinetiny.com/zX06CIz6) and how to create proxies using FCP X (http://cinetiny.com/B5XbjUrH).

• Have your editor or edit yourself using the proxies in Premiere or FCP X. Mac or PC it doesn't matter. Export edit to XML file using "export for final cut pro". If you use Premiere you still select "export for final cut pro" from the menu, it doesn't matter as long as you have the XML file.

• Import this XML file into Davinci resolve from the Import panel. File -> Import XML -> then browse to your XML. Then UNCHECK the box "automatically import source clips".  You do not want to import the proxies, you will want to relink the XML edit to the original 4k files. Davinci may do this automatically if you're lucky but if not then you can relink them yourself.

Couple important notes: 

It's important whatever you use to create the proxy files from the 4k original that you do not mess up the timecode. I gave beautiful proxies to an editor once and they lagged on his machine, so brilliant him decided to re-encoded them using QuickTime with a more lossy setting and all of the timecode was reset. He went ahead and edited the footage and when it came time to get the XML file back for grading in Resolve it could not sync up the clips!

Once the grading is finished in Davinci you will have to export them as high quality in the format of your choice and relink them back in the NLE. You can do this a few different ways; one is to use the software to RELINK to the new graded footage by using a clip replacement or similar function. Another way (if I'm using Premiere) is to simply rename the folder of the graded clips to the same folder that the proxies were located in. Premiere is not that intelligent enough to know that the source clips were replaced and it saves you from having to play around with re-linking. (which to be honest is very easy anyway in Premiere)

Last note is you may have to adjust your project settings if originally you were editing HD resolution proxies and then switching to 2k or 4k, etc... 

Expert
Message 3 of 4 (1,927 Views)

Dennis, you're great!!

Cees van Kempen
www.iwp-wildlife.com
Expert
Message 4 of 4 (1,266 Views)

There is now a complete Davinci Resolve Round Trip Workflow guide on my site as well, which I believe was published earlier this year. 

http://www.hingsberg.com/index.php/2014/09/roundtrip-workflow-in-resolve/

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook