Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 21 (4,099 Views)
Accepted Solution

X-OCN vs RAW

[ Edited ]

Hi all. I know it's been discussed previously (here for example), but I still can't find a straight answer on what exactly X-OCN is. Everyone (including Sony) says "it's not raw". However they also say the color space, gamma, etc can be changed in post. Some even say it is debayered in post. So how can a format that doesn't burn in it's recording settings be anything other than raw?

I've seen it called "raw lite" and things of that nature, but that doesn't make sense to me. It's either raw or it's not. Right?

Zak

Expert
Message 2 of 21 (4,078 Views)

Re: X-OCN vs RAW

Rumor/theory has it they could'nt call it compressed RAW because of Red's patent. No idea if that's even remotely true. We have a R7 back and I can tell you that every parameter that can be change in normal Sony RAW can be change in XOCN. We tried to break the less-compressed version and it held up fantastic.

Expert
Message 3 of 21 (4,066 Views)

There really aren't an parameters than can be changed in RAW. RAW is RAW. You can change how it looks on the monitor with settings (S-Log2/3), but not what is recorded.

Cheers.

Noel Sterrett
Admit One Pictures
Expert
Message 4 of 21 (4,060 Views)

Noel, I think it's pretty understood Im referring to white balance, ISO etc. etc.  All the things in the RAW panel in Resolve that can be adjusted that are not available when shooting non-RAW.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 21 (4,053 Views)

So is it debayered in post, then?

I wonder why it would infringe on any RED patents. Plenty of other companies make compressed raw, and call it like it is. Perhaps it's wavelet based, like R3D is?

Expert
Message 6 of 21 (3,999 Views)

I don't think it is debayered in post... is it??
Expert
Message 7 of 21 (3,976 Views)

videosoul wrote:
I don't think it is debayered in post... is it??

If it shows up in the RAW panel in Resolve, it is very likely being debayered by Resolve.

Noel Sterrett
Admit One Pictures
Apprentice
Message 8 of 21 (3,895 Views)

Just wish Sony would chime in with a defintive answer!

Expert
Message 9 of 21 (3,857 Views)

Sony went into patent war with REd few years back but I never heard any outcome but by looking above it might be some naming patent issues here... With Sony marketing which is pretty bad we won't find out anytime soon what exectly is X-OCN Smiley Tongue

Rafal Tyslewicz
Technical Supervisor @ SLV London
Colourist, Editor, Camera
www.raf.guru
Expert
Message 10 of 21 (3,750 Views)

There are lot's of words and terms that I'm not allowed to use when I'm talking about Sony's raw let alone X-OCN. I think most of us know what it is as it's 16 bit linear, comes in different data rate versions and is "processed" by software that includes the ability to de-bayer.

What I can say is that it is linear data processed using a unique, highly efficient algorithm, that makes the files smaller than they would otherwise be.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook