Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

F5 & F55

Emerging Star
Leon

Re: QXD Cards

Not talking about pro cards we are on QXD have you got any or are you talking theory
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
starcentral

[ Edited ]

Yes I'm talking theory, that's the point. If an old sxs pro card rated at 800mbps works flawlessly with SR codec and HFR which is rated at 800mbps, and the H and S series cards are rated at 1000mbps and 1344mbps then I think they would work.

The only limitation over pro + plus cards on the F55 might be the ability to shoot 4k XAVC and mpeg proxy at the same time. But it would need to be tested.

In general yes, some actual testing is needed and hopefully someone will post results soon. I have a BHphotovideo order coming up and I might add the adapter and S series card to try out. So far I've avoided purchasing the Pro + cards and I'd like to keep it that way.   :smileyhappy:

Dennis Hingsberg

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
boghav

Sucessfully using 120FPS with the XAVC format on the F5 with these cards.
Richard Boghosian
Bogh AV Productions
USA
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
starcentral

Good to hear boghav, was your QXD H series or S series?

As mentioned earlier since 120p HFR in HD XAVC is 400mbps, we know whatever card you used can at least do 400mbps.

This means that the HD SR Codec 444 in 24p mode which is 352mbps will also work.

Lastly, 4k XAVC on the F55 is 600mbps at 60p and only 240mbps at 24p, so for sure 24p/25p will work, now we just need someone to test 4k XAVC 60p, and in addition 4k XAVC 60p plus simultaneous mpeg proxy.

Dennis Hingsberg

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
mickjones

Richard and Dennis I just wanted to clarify the products that you are talking about. Is it these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880142-REG/Sony_qds64_t_64GB_XQD_Memory_Card.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840666-REG/Sony_QDA_EX1_SC1_XQD_ExpressCard_Adapter.html

If so, that is a no brainer to not buy the pro plus cards at $839 for the equivalent storage. Is this correct?
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
PaulReam

Just to confirm… this week I've been using the slower Sony XQD 'H' series cards in the Sony QDA-EX1 adaptor in my F5.  These are rated at 1000 mbps and seem to cope with 120P at 2K and SR 4:4:4 at 25P without any problems.

No brainer for me, even with an adaptor for each card, they are still half the price of SxS Pro+.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
boghav

The S series 64 Gb XQD cards are available at $249 right now, vs. $839 for a Pro+ card and over $1K for the Pro card (????)  Note: even with the latest firmware, the camera still issues a warning about "Not Guaranteed Media" after it formats the card.  I have been shooting on the 16 Gb H series cards since the camera's introduction (MPEG format) with no issues.  I am now shooting in the XAVC format - needs twice the card capacity for the same recording time.  The card adapters and reader cost next to nothing, and I have multiples of each.  I do own a 128 Pro+ card at $1300.  Sony will eventually get the pricing more in line, but if you're thinking of dual format recording on the same card, then I'd certainly suggest some extensive testing on your own. 

Richard Boghosian
Bogh AV Productions
USA
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
4KFILM

[ Edited ]
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
shotlister

As usual we in Australia are being ripped off blind.

Average pricing for the Sony QXD S series is around $800 and I have seen one reseller posting at $1100.

Lowest is $540.

And the retailers here complain about us Aussies and our obsession with online purchases.

Ebay here I come.

Jack F5 Sydney

www.digiteyes.com.au

Jack
F5
Sydney
digiteyes.com.au
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
mickjones

@ Shotlister. That is absurd isn't it. I don't even bother looking locally (Australia) for such things. So outrageously priced.
Please use plain text.