Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

FS700

Groovin'
paulinventome

Re: Allow 4k RAW recording on the Odyssey 7Q with the FS700/R

I'd add my voice to this as well.

I find it a little shortsighted that CD are not allowed to record 4K RAW to disc.

There is no way i would invest in the interface unit/R5, nor rent it (even if there were any to rent). It's an ergonomic and usability nightmare and if i needed, i would rent a camera package. 

I don't think 4K on the 700 would eat into sales of the F5/F55, it's a different culture and different demographic. I think a lot more 700s would sell to those considering canon, blackmagic and other lower end/prosumer users.

It seems a crying shame to not allow the sensor inside the 700 to shine, in the way that it can for still photos.

cheers

Paul

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Essami

I wholeheartedly agree that Sony should allow 4K raw recording on the Odyssey 7Q.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
marino215

If Sony unleashes the 4k to convergent design I'll continue to buy Sony products, if not then I will buy the competition. Listen To us Sony. In this day and age you can't afford not too.
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
killagram

Personally I cannot purchase a FS700 unless Sony unlocks the 4K recording to Convergent's 7Q. It's not practical to have 4 different bulky components on a handheld rig (including the camera and monitor), let alone paying the expense of such a costly "solution" through Sony's route. It just makes more sense to buy the camera with a 7Q especially since 4K cameras are constantly evolving past the FS700.

BOTTOM LINE: Unlocking this ability will increase sales of your FS700 cameras. Prohibiting this will cause potential customers including myself to buy from your competitors.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
brazzam

As a proud FS700 owner, I am happy to champion the power of this camera to all who I talk to.  However, I was a disheartened to discover that the Sony 4K Recorder not only practically doubled the cost of this "4K-ready" camera, but also came in a form factor that was not at all easy to manage.

Up to this point, I had been proudly talking up the future-proofing of the camera.  Now, when clients/colleagues have inquired about the 4K option, I had to express dismay that the Sony solution and how it is not a valid solution for my budget and/or production style.

However, the Convergent-Design Odyssey 7Q has changed that.  I currently have one on preorder and now my clients are waiting and excited to see what this new tech will bring for them.

I would LOVE to be able to tell them that 4K RAW is a possilibity with the 7Q - and not only my clients, but my other contacts in the industry as well.  As others have pointed out here on this forum, I believe that the Odyssey 7Q makes the FS700 a better, more marketable camera.  Therefore, giving Convergent Design the ability to record the 4K RAW signal would be of not only a great boon to all of your customers who love using an already spectacular camera, but to your sales figures as word gets out about the sheer power of the FS700/7Q combination.

Thank you for your time,

Alan Brazzell

Brazzell Video & Motion Graphics

www.brazzellvideo.com

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Plakkie

Dear people at Sony,

after years of working with Canon camera's I decided on the FS700 as my new camera. The main reason for this choice was my notion that this was a future-proof camera, capable of day to day 8-bit HD recording work ánd high-quality work (RAW, 4K) in the near future, as I understood it back then. As a small independent filmmaker the Sony FS700 was a real big investment for me, and a bit of a gamble. For my day to day work, this camera prooved it's worth and fullfilled its promise, but I was dissapointed when Sony presented the R5 solution for 4K. The high price of this unit and also it's weight and bulk made it totally inaccesible for me. With the rapid development of camera-technology and the rise of 4K I'm worried that my FS700 will soon be outclassed by other camera's in it's price-class (or lower). If this happened I would certainly regret my choice for the Sony FS700.

The work done by Convergent Design on the Odyssey 7Q has given me hope that my choice for the FS700 could still be a wise one. Its cost, portability and the fact that a high-quality monitor is added to the equation makes this product an investment I'm willing to consider. More importantly: it will boost the potential of my FS700 making it the camera for the future I thought it was. The fact that Sony cooperates with Convergent Design to make a solution within reach of the budget of small pro-filmmakers like me shows me that Sony cares about the fact that I chose to buy a Sony product, and is willing to make its full potential accessible for its target buyers.

As it stands now, it seems Sony is hesitant to give Convergent Design full access to the recording capabilities of the FS700. In my view this strategy will not improve Sony's buisiness, as for me and most of the FS700 buyers the R5, F5 and F55 are simply out of reach. For me it will feel as if Sony is holding back the full potential of a product I already bought, making me regret my choice for Sony.

Sony, please consider giving Convergent Design full access to the recording capabilities of the FS700. By doing so you will gain not only my sympathy and loyalty, but also that of many others. This loyalty and symphaty is worth so much more than anything an expensive add campaign can accomplish. It will show that Sony is a reliable choice for the future.

Thank you for your support.

Plakkie

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
blackdogdylan

as a VERY early adopter of the FS700, I've been a big fan of the camera. I have used it on countless broadcast TV shows, shorts, independent films & promos. I have used it as an A camera, as well as a B camera to Alexas, Epics, Phantoms, F3s, and F55s. I have seen it projected on a 50 foot screen and also used it for web-only pieces. it has delivered on quite a few promises. the 4K upgrade path assured me that in a fast-paced world of increasingly disposable camera systems, it would continue to be a viable player on set for some time to come.

while the R5 recorder showed the power of the camera, for most of my shoots, it was a non-starter for reasons of ergonomics as well as cost. then, with the announcement of the Odyssey 7Q, I immediately put one on preorder. as an owner of a nanoFlash recorder, I had seen the excellence in the products of Convergent Design as well as the synergy possible with Sony's cooperation. I felt that with the O7Q, CD had found a way to get even greater images (and longevity) out of the camera at a competitive cost (even when taken in combination with the 4K service upgrade fee- which I happily paid.)

as with everyone else here, I implore Sony to make the 12 bit raw stream available to CD without reservation. the technical ingenuity that they show with their products will only serve the Sony brand, while withholding features only hampers the enormous capabilities of the camera... and does nothing to protect other Sony products. clearly the f55/5 occupy a different market sector than the FS700. but as the industry continues to evolve and move towards 4K capture and display, I would love to continue to incorporate the FS700 into the work I do. extending the ecosystem created by the F55/5 will only help to persuade clients, networks and studios that Sony is at the forefront of the 4K revolution. please allow CD to unleash the greatness of the FS700!
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
avidrob

Unlock 4k RAW to CD Please.

The R5 is a ridiculous solution that i would would never use. its to big, too heavy, and the two part converter/recorder solution is poorly thought out.  Shame on you Sony. :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
iconoclast6

Re: Allow 4k RAW recording on Monitor Recording Manufacturers including Odyssey 7Q with the FS700/R

Hey Sony,

Please follow up on Juan Martinez's comments that Sony will engage 3rd Party manufacturers to enable

4K recording with the Sony FS700. Odyssey is first out of the box and it is hoped that others will quickly follow

to give consumers a competitive choice.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
gwoodley

Re: Allow 4k RAW recording on Monitor Recording Manufacturers including Odyssey 7Q with the FS700/R

Hi,

I agree with all that has been said previously. As someone who is on the fence about the FS700, the 4K raw O7Q option would mean I would buy the camera immediately. As it stands, I'm going to continue to rent cameras for my work until I see what NAB 2014 brings. I would not buy the HXR-IFR5 because it's both expensive and a single use, very time limited solution - leaving aside the terrible ergonomics of the interface and the R5. The R5 I would consider if I was to buy an F5/F55, but that's a long way down the track. 

I implore Sony to allow the O7Q to record 4k raw. Yes, it would almost certainly impact sales of the HXR-IFR5. Would it impact F5 sales? Who knows - I think they are different markets, and in my case, I'm more interested in the F55 than the F5 anyway.

I really appreciate Sony allowing a third party as much flexibility as they have granted the CD team. Please take the final step: allowing the O7Q to record 4k raw would extend the life of the camera (good ROI from my perspective) and increase sales of the FS700. It's a good camera. It can be great. 

And besides, it's (just after) Xmas!

Cheers

Gil Woodley

Please use plain text.