Headphones

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 5 (805 Views)
Accepted Solution

MDR-1000X Serial Number Prone to Headband Cracking

I have a pair of Sony MDR-1000X in Canada that I received as a Christmas gift. The serial number of these headphones falls within the range of 5000001-5256984 which means that they have weakened headbands. The headphones that I have are not broken, but I am worried they might break since the serial number falls within that range. I also don't have a receipt since they were a gift. What should I do?

Highlighted
Message 2 of 5 (795 Views)

Re: MDR-1000X Serial Number Prone to Headband Cracking

Hi IwaSPakshay,

Welcome and thank you for considering the SONY Community!

We are aware of the reviews and/or reports of the users regarding the headband crack issue with this model but this is not a serial specified issue. While we continue to study this matter on an ongoing basis, Sony's current understanding is that physical damage to the MDR-1000X headphones may result from unfolding the headphones a certain way. With this new understanding that under certain conditions the headband may crack or break, changes have been promptly made in manufacturing to address the issue and give the headband more stability as well as flexibility as the user handles and unfolds the headphones. In order to maintain the goodwill of our Sony customers, we will follow the warranty process if the unit needs repair to the consumers who have a cracked or broken headband, subject to the limited warranty that accompanies the product.

Regards,

-Erin

If my post answers your question, please click the button below "Accept as Solution".

Rookie
Message 3 of 5 (709 Views)

I understand ErinC has been told to say this but what a poor response.

By not recalling this product or contacting customers who have bought it.. they are just creating Bose customers. So much for using the release of the MDR-1000X to restore the luster to their brand. I too own this broken product, recommended it to friends and have now had my own reputation. 

The correct response would have been to post a dedicated recall URL where customers could submit their proof of purchase and get a replacement V2 of the headphones or a refund check. 

The VP of their consumer division should be explaining to his/her board why they are working so hard to lose customers and sink the renewal of the company. 

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 5 (411 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Erin,

Unfortunately, the headphones have cracked on the hinges as I feared would happen. Will Sony replace these headphones or repair them as they are still under warranty? What should I do next?

Message 5 of 5 (393 Views)

Hi IwaSPakshay,

Thank you for getting back to us!

We are sad to hear what happened. To further assist you, I'll recommend calling our Technical Support Team at your most convenient time.

Regards,

-Erin

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook