Headphones

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 10 (4,069 Views)

MDR-1000X static noise

[ Edited ]

When I turn on my headphones, I hear this constant quiet static noise in the background (with noise cancelling off). The headphones never sound completely quiet. It doesn't matter how it is connected (bluetooth or wired). When noise cancelling is on, it is much louder and apparent. Instead of just cancelling out outside noise, it replaces it with this constant static instead. And then when ambient sound is turned on, there is also the static noise. Does this happen to anyone else? Are they defectve?

Message 2 of 10 (4,005 Views)

Re: MDR-1000X static noise

Hi Goroguy,

Have you tried calling our Technical Support team about this issue?
If so, kindly send your reference number/event ID to me via Private Message(PM) so we can further assist you.

Thanks,
>Joffrey

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 3 of 10 (3,431 Views)

Yes, I have the same problem. Is that "normal", or does that means my headphones are defective?

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 10 (3,407 Views)

I have this issue as well.
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 10 (2,441 Views)

I have the same exact issue - please let me know if you find solution. I just chatted with Sony. I got this:

http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/1000x/v1/en/contents/TP0001176174.html

and this...

http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/1000x/v1/en/contents/TP0001176175.html

And turn off the headphones for 30 minutes...

I'll try this once tomorrow. If the problem recurs, I'll return the headphones for a refund. I like the Sonys over Bose QC 35s, but I'll keep the Bose QC 35s, if I can't get this solved,.

Message 6 of 10 (2,404 Views)

Hi Miko88,

Welcome and thank you for considering SONY Community!

Have you tried calling our Technical Support team about this issue?
If so, kindly send your reference number/event ID to me via Private Message(PM) so we can further assist you.

Thanks,
>Joffrey

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 10 (2,089 Views)

have you ever tried putting a big mussel over your ear completely covering it?

you will hear noise like from the ocean.

total quietness produces noise in our ears Smiley Happy

you can try this with a drinking glass or other stuff, too.

i was wondering the same and then looked that up.

that's just a confirmation on how good the sony headphones completely cancel ambient noise around you.

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 10 (1,788 Views)

Hi, 

I was wondering if you solved the issue following these steps.

Thanks.

Rookie
Message 9 of 10 (852 Views)

I just got my headphones today, and i'm having the same problem. My housemate has the Bose active noise cancelling and they do not have the same static/hissing noise as these 1000Xes.

Is this a defect in my unit, or just characteristic of the Sony noise cancelling technology?

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 10 (686 Views)

I have got the same experience.

For top noise cancelling headphones MDR-1000X. NC works good, very good sound, that’s all I can say as overall it's ******. In all pieces I tested, there is constant rain/wind bg. noise added especially in ambient sound options it's just awful. You should be ashamed SonyElectronics its crapy.

I tried to return "non-used" within 24h in elviapro.cz (my local supplier) but I failed as it was bought directly in the shop and not remotely, and they basically don't care.

I bought and tested another piece with the same awful behaviour. 

I contacted the local Sony support and tried to return as "faulty behaviour" and I got them back with a negative result as "The level of noise I complained" is the same as on other pieces they tested.

So "sure" there is added noise in "ambient sound".  It's hard to recognize in "rush" environment, but when in the office or at home you will hate it.

The newest model If I do understand has an option to control/mix the external input on ambient sound on the cell app. They also have better Bluetooth connectivity, but the "sense" engine is probably the same.

Summary: confirmed, they have bg. noise in all modes, which is something that Bose doesn't have. It's because of the quality of the electronic components (not the faulty series).

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook