Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Headphones

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9 (3,285 Views)

MDR-1000x noise cancelling turns off automatically after soem minutes when it;s not connected to anything

MDR-1000x noise cancelling turns off automatically after soem minutes when it;s not connected to anything. It works fine if there's input to it either from cable or Bluetooth. Is this by design? I don't want to turn off at all

Rookie
Message 2 of 9 (3,227 Views)

Re: MDR-1000x noise cancelling turns off automatically after soem minutes when it;s not connected to anything

There is a community thread that addresses this sort of. The sony support engineer responds that you can connect the cable for connecting the headphones to them to prevent the headphones from turning off every 5 minutes. This is true. You do NOT even have to have the audio cable connected to any device just have it plugged in. As a work around I plan to just buy a stereo plug with NO cable and plug it into the headphones when I ONLY want noise canceling and no device connected. This should work just fine the same as having the cable connected. If you have a phone or tablet etc... connected in range and no audio delivery then the noise canceling should work and the headset should NOT turn off. There should be a software fix for this in my opinion but if the hardware design will not allow for it then a plug with no cable should accomplish the same end result. Well, I plan to give it a try as I know I can plug in the audio cable that came with the headphones and that will keep them on as long as the battery last. With the audio cable you just have to put up with it hanging down or put it in a pocket or your shirt. Not a clean fix but it does work. Given how well the noise canceling works I can live with this for now. 

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 9 (2,884 Views)

Re: MDR-1000x noise cancelling turns off automatically after soem minutes when it;s not connected to anything

I travel a good bit and made it clear to the salesperson that all I wanted was noise cancelling.  I got the hard sell that these were the best noise cancelling headphones on the market.   I now find that my headphones turn off every 5 minutes.  Basically, they may be good noise cancelling if you are also listening to music or a movie, but if you want basic noise cancelling, then be prepared to turn your headphones on every 5 minutes.  I do not intend to find a work around for a $400 set of headphones.  I would like a refund as I feel that I was duped and I've spend 10 minutes on the phone with Sony support with no luck.  This is a feature that needs to be changed or at least made abundantly clear to people purchasing this product.  Otherwise, it is a perfectly good product.   

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 9 (2,880 Views)

A noise cancellating headphones should be used exaclty for that purpose. To cancel out noise. These headphones require either a bluetooth connection or a cable connection for an uninterrupted noise cancelling session. It's irresponsible and shortsightedness of Sony engineers to make these headphones turn off every 5 minutes. What if I am in a plane and can't have such a connection. I can't understand why they forced this feature!! Very ill conceived.

I got a 3.5mm male to male cable and will cut off the plugs so I can disable this feature.

Anyone from Sony can tell us why the headphone was designed where we can't  use it continuosly without a connection?

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 9 (2,874 Views)

Well said.
Message 6 of 9 (2,812 Views)

Hi, Sony Community! 

Welcome and thank you for all your messages. 

We recommend resetting the headphones to isolate the issue. If the issue is still unresolved, initialize the headphones to factory settings. Follow the guidelines here: http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/1000x/v1/en/contents/TP0001176174.html

Best regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 9 (2,500 Views)

I don't understand.  You're telling us restarting the headphones will resolve the issue?

The headphones were designed to turn off itself for power saving.  How is restarting supposed to help?

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 9 (2,460 Views)

Re: MDR-1000x noise cancelling turns off automatically after some minutes when it's not connected to anything

That reply is so typical with computers. Reboot and it will clear itself up. No. The headphone is hardwired to shutdown after 5 minutes when nothing is connected.

It seems there's nothing one can do other than connecting to a device whether with a cable or through bluetooth, or I guess by inserting a dummy 3.5mm jack in the hole. I haven't tried this yet. 

Rookie
Message 9 of 9 (2,161 Views)

looks very similar to the issue I am having with the MDR ZX780DC. Yes, I went back to factory setting per manual. If they're noise canceling, shouldn't they remain on that mode until you decide it or the battery runs out? Now it seems the designer decided to

override the noise canceling customer choice by forcing a exit of that mode to save battery. I want the designer to use them on a flight and have the noise canceling function back out to save battery. To me this is a defect and if there's no solution where I can keep the headphones in noise canceling,  I will return them to Costco & get my money back.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook