Welcome to the Community!

Headphones

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 61 of 96 (3,311 Views)

Re: Sony MDR-1000X left side of bracket broken in 10 days

Have the same issue, with cracks on both sides with about three months of use. Seems like the strength of this bracket was only anticipated to apply in one direction to hold the headphones tightly to the head. Which in needed to retain noise cancelation with any movement.

I didn't notice it when is first happened but my guess is that the break was caused by the typical use case of putting the headphones away. When you fold them up to put them away it bends the bracket slightly in the opposite direction. Definitely an engineering defect and failed consideration in stress testing

crackRight.JPG

leftcrack.JPG

I do really like these headphones and want them repaired. I can see why we are getting a bit stonewalled little help by support here. Replacing the part probably fails to fix the problem. So that is kinda expensive for nothing. Particularly if its just going to break again in 3 months. Question for support, Is engineering working on a more suitable bracket that will come out in a new model?

This is really typically of my exprience with sony products. I kinda half expected that these expensive headphones would only last a year or two. Breaking in only 3 months upsets me though particulary at the cost of this set

The alluminum casting looks like a good solution. @ISO1Million Do you have to glue it to attach it to the outside bracket? I might be able to make the mould and do the casting at my local makerspace, when we build our casting pit. Any cad files? I guess if I can get the peice off I can just glue the original part together and use it as the master pattern for the mould

Enthusiast
Message 62 of 96 (3,267 Views)

I have to break it with you guys. I tried once again and approached a help desk of the elecrrical store where I purchased the product, I talked calmly and objectively. Then left it there (actual service was two weeks but i got it after three weeks as i was from a vacation). I think device warranty is top notched here or I availed the extended warranty (but im positive not)

Just Note I got two sides now cracked, one being completely mutilated and seperated. the other will almost seperate to two pieces and had cracks now. Then to my surprise: THEY FIXED MY UNIT WITHOUT CHARGES!

I just learned there's a SONY REGIONAL MAIN OFFICE HUB at UAE and they got tons of parts.

TRUST ME, guys, Sony  can replace those without costs. I think people are now making noise and they seem to be listening. actually... i contacted them at their facebook account also.

Enthusiast
Message 63 of 96 (3,264 Views)

or i just got lucky i got a spare part. again, it doesnt hurt if your store have the "physical insurance warranty" but I didnt availed it with my headphones. My luck was on my favor I guess

eryson27 wrote:

I have to break it with you guys. I tried once again and approached a help desk of the elecrrical store where I purchased the product, I talked calmly and objectively. Then left it there (actual service was two weeks but i got it after three weeks as i was from a vacation). I think device warranty is top notched here or I availed the extended warranty (but im positive not)

Just Note I got two sides now cracked, one being completely mutilated and seperated. the other will almost seperate to two pieces and had cracks now. Then to my surprise: THEY FIXED MY UNIT WITHOUT CHARGES!

I just learned there's a SONY REGIONAL MAIN OFFICE HUB at UAE and they got tons of parts.

TRUST ME, guys, Sony  can replace those without costs. I think people are now making noise and they seem to be listening. actually... i contacted them at their facebook account also.

Message 64 of 96 (3,114 Views)

Hi PaulBeaudet,

Welcome and thank you for considering SONY Community!

Please send me a private message regarding this issue.

Regards,

^Ron

Enthusiast
Message 65 of 96 (2,764 Views)

@RonC PMed you a few days ago, haven't got a reply yet?

Does anyone know if there is a services center in the New England area in the states?

Fixing them myself would be great. However I have so many projects on my hands, that I'm hoping the year warrenty on these mean something

Enthusiast
Message 66 of 96 (2,718 Views)

Even mine broke about 14 days ago. Have been continously mailing SONY India and the solution they gave me was "Get a new one for 25% discount". I've literally begged them to try and understand the situation with about 20 links to such cases but everytime they give me the same robotic reply. This is the reply from one of their mails and they literally said "We understand your concern towards your Sony BRAVIA TV.". What is this!!!! They don't even care about the problem to the point that they don't even what I'm facing.

Ticket ID :: SonyIndia=040-886-946

Dear Mr. Rituj,

Greetings from Sony India! Thank you for patronizing Sony product.

This is in reference to your e-mail dated 22nd , 23rd  ,24th  and 28th July  2017, addressed to us, regarding your Sony Head Phone; Model No MDR-1000X and Serial No- S015116870E.

This is also in reference to the e-mail sent on 29th July 2017 by undersigned, in this regards.

We understand your concern towards your Sony BRAVIA TV.

As explained earlier, Upon inspection of the product engineer observed that the set is physically damaged due to external impact .As per our warranty terms and conditions, this service is not covered under warranty and is chargeable.

As an alternate solution to retain you as our valued customer, we offer to exchange your Sony MDR-1000X with any Headphone of your choice from our current range at 75% of the Maximum Retail Price (MRP) of the same model.

This case has been discussed with the management.

We regret that we are unable to comply with your request to provide any other discount.

We solicit your kind understanding in this regard.

We once again request you to kindly approve offer so that necessary action can be carried ahead.

Assuring you best of our support always.

With Warm Regards
Sony India Pvt. Ltd.
Swati Bhadauria
Customer Relations Officer North Region

What am I supposed to do now. 

There's literally no hope left now Smiley Sad( .

Now they haven't even replied in 48 working hours.

Sony is going to loose many of it's loyal customers due to this ignorance.

Apprentice
Message 67 of 96 (2,673 Views)

Yep, this is the same attitude I get when talking on the phone with them.  I ended up putting some Q-Bond (black) on the cracks and they are much sturdier, they just don't fold in anymore.  I'm sure you could Q-Bond it just right to retain the folding ability, but I didn't really care since I never had the need to fold them up.  It will look pretty ugly, but you could probably sand it down a bit to conceal it or wrap it with something like one of those headpband cushions you get on amazon if you really wanted to hide it.

Another option that I would normally not condone, but seeing a Sony is being a bunch of punks on this issue, I might have made an exception if the Q-Bond thing didn't work.  I have a friend that works at Amazon and he did some RMA (returned merchandise) work for a while, so I figured I'd ask him what would happen if I ordered another set of these headphones from Amazon, swapped it with the defective one, then returned it back to Amazon before 30 days.  

I asked him for two reasons and here's his answers:

Question 1: Who would lose money on the deal? Because I don't want to screw over some 3rd party shop or even amazon.

His answer:  Sony would, but only if you purchase it from Amazon as the seller.  To do this, go to "other sellers" where it says something like "Used & New (48) for $$$" then find the one that says "Amazon" and not something like "Bob's Electronics."  Amazon files it as defective unit to Sony and doesn't lose a dime;  Sony eats the cost.

2) Since there's a serial # on them, would they know and not issue my refund? 

His answer:  Sure, I guess if they really looked, but they don't.  We were so slammed processing returns, we just did visual check that it was the same product and not obviously very old and used.  The only time they'd do a serial # check would be if a dispute was filed from the merchant.   He said that large manufacturers never filed disputes unless they were big ticket items (as in thousands of dollars).  Return disputes usually only come from small 3rd party resellers.

This is Amazon in the USA, so no idea how it would work in other countries.  Worse case, if they catch it, just say "oops, I got two and sent back wrong ones." then have them send you back the defective set and return the original ones and you just eat a few bucks on shipping.  

Also, do your part in spreading the word about this to anyone even asking about Sony headphones.  I've linked this and other similar threads countless times whenever someone asks about them on reddit or other forums and seen many potential buyers change their mind after seeing how crazy Sony is being about this.

Enthusiast
Message 68 of 96 (2,662 Views)

I've tried using the instant adhesive thing and thats what holding them together for now, but every now and then there is a pop sound coming from that place and now I can see cracks on the outer band that held the inner plastic, SAD!!!

Regarding the amazon return strategy, since my purchase is well over the amazon India return time, I think if Sony doesn't solve this then I'd may have to use this strategy.

Could you ask your friend as to would they process it if it has got adhesive on if?

And if pssible could I get your email?

Message 69 of 96 (2,609 Views)

Hi Rituj,

Welcome to Sony Community!

On this site, we are able to provide assistance for customers in North America, Latin America, and Asia Pacific. For further assistance regarding your product, we highly recommend visiting our Sony Global Web site for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/.

Regards,
-Jay

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 70 of 96 (2,470 Views)

[ Edited ]

The lack of response from Sony to cracking headphones and Sony not responding to this issue have forced me to return them for a refund, they are schedule to arrive tomorrow.  Even though the MDR 1000x have the features I seek, the lack of response or failure information is  risk not willing to take with them cracking.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook