Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Headphones

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Message 21 of 51 (3,600 Views)

Re: Sony MDR-1000x does support multiple bluetooth connections!

Hi TMacDMB,

Welcome to the SONY Community!

We apologized for the delayed response. I sent you a private message. Kindly check your community inbox. 

Regards,

~Erin

Enthusiast
Message 22 of 51 (3,575 Views)

Erin, can you comment on what you said in that private message?  

I am holding out from buying these headphones, due to this issue.  It is really disappointing.  If there is a firmware fix coming, then I'll buy them. Otherwise it doesn't seem worth it. 

Please advise urgently.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 23 of 51 (3,217 Views)

I have purchased these headphones and it's an issue that may make me return them. This is really too bad since there's no comparison in audio quality in this class. The Bose QC 35 sonds flat by comparison, the built in amplifier works for both wired and wireless audio. The noise cancellation has some rough edges, but is generally better than Bose, having a wider general use case than "on an airplane" while still having a bit of noise and pressure that should be tuned (using the built-in optimiser helps). Note that with the amplifier off most portable devices cannot properly drive these headphones on their own.

Unfortunately there's a problem, the Bluetooth functionality is so completely amateurish it's shocking. Customer support and the documentation report that the MDR-1000X supports multiple device pairings simultaneously, but it may as well not, since one device or the other will be unusable. Even if you only pair the device entirely with one device this is a problem, as unless the device completely switches between using the "media" and "phone" (terminology varies, Windows uses "Stereo" and "Hands-Free") modes, the input will be broken or muted completely. 

Functionally you "can" connect the MDR-1000X to two devices, but they cannot actually be sending data at the same time, as the device's firmware (and possibly hardware) lacks the functionality to maintain both connections simultaneously. This is particularly sad, since every other medium range bluetooth headset includes this functionality. Most vendors allow you to toggle between paired devices yourself, Bose allows for 6. My Plantronics earpiece can fully pair with a laptop and phone and switch between the two reliably and without worrying about whether "media" or "headset" are disabled on one device or the other.

Importantly, if connected to a computer with both headset and stereo audio capability (to enjoy that high quality sound), you cannot use the microphone and high quality stereo audio connection at the same time. e.g. you must use it only as a low quality bluetooth headset, or listen to music at good quality, going out of your way to disable the other function. In Windows even having software open using the microphone input will mute the A2DP connection as the coomunication channel is in use.

This is embarrasing for such a product to be so obviously deficient in a way that shoudl be it's strength. At this cost, implementing a Bluetooth device with simultaneous multiple channels should be trivial, and other companies show that it is.

Apprentice
Message 24 of 51 (3,217 Views)

Apprentice
Message 25 of 51 (3,217 Views)

I have purchased these headphones and it's an issue that may make me return them. This is really too bad since there's no comparison in audio quality in this class. The Bose QC 35 sonds flat by comparison, the built in amplifier works for both wired and wireless audio. The noise cancellation has some rough edges, but is generally better than Bose, having a wider general use case than "on an airplane" while still having a bit of noise and pressure that should be tuned (using the built-in optimiser helps). Note that with the amplifier off most portable devices cannot properly drive these headphones on their own.

Unfortunately there's a problem, the Bluetooth functionality is so completely amateurish it's shocking. Customer support and the documentation report that the MDR-1000X supports multiple device pairings simultaneously, but it may as well not, since one device or the other will be unusable. Even if you only pair the device entirely with one device this is a problem, as unless the device completely switches between using the "media" and "phone" (terminology varies, Windows uses "Stereo" and "Hands-Free") modes, the input will be broken or muted completely.

Functionally you "can" connect the MDR-1000X to two devices, but they cannot actually be sending data at the same time, as the device's firmware (and possibly hardware) lacks the functionality to maintain both connections simultaneously. This is particularly sad, since every other medium range bluetooth headset includes this functionality. Most vendors allow you to toggle between paired devices yourself, Bose allows for 6. My Plantronics earpiece can fully pair with a laptop and phone and switch between the two reliably and without worrying about whether "media" or "headset" are disabled on one device or the other.

Apprentice
Message 26 of 51 (3,217 Views)

Importantly, if connected to a computer with both headset and stereo audio capability (to enjoy that high quality sound), you cannot use the microphone and high quality stereo audio connection at the same time. e.g. you must use it only as a low quality bluetooth headset, or listen to music at good quality, going out of your way to disable the other function. In Windows even having software open using the microphone input will mute the A2DP connection as the coomunication channel is in use.

Apprentice
Message 27 of 51 (3,218 Views)

This is embarrasing for such a product to be so obviously deficient in a way that shoudl be it's strength. At this cost, implementing a Bluetooth device with simultaneous multiple channels should be trivial, and other companies show that it is.

Apprentice
Message 28 of 51 (3,218 Views)

Apprentice
Message 29 of 51 (3,218 Views)

Apprentice
Message 30 of 51 (3,218 Views)

I had to break this post into several pieces as the forum would not allow me to post otherwise:

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook