Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 11 (233 Views)

3 Ohm speakers with STR-DH550

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

I have a Samsung HTIB speaker set that is 3 Ohms.  Can I add a 4 Ohm resister to each speaker to reach the minimum Ohms requirement for this unit ( 6 - 16 Ohms)?  I'm looking at adding a 4 Ohm 100 Watt resister to each speaker line. Will that work?

Here is the speaker data:

Front/Surround/Center   3 Ω 200Hz ~ 20kHz 80W 3.7 x 4.6 x 2.9 0.66
Subwoofer 3 Ω     20Hz ~ 200Hz 100W 6.1 x 11.8 x 11.2 6.37

Here is the Sony Receiver specs:

STR-DH550

5.2 Ch. 4K A/V Receiver

Center 145W (6ohms, 1kHz, 1ch driven THD 0.9%) / 105W (6ohms, 1kHz, 2ch driven THD 1%) / 90W (6ohms, 20-20kHz, 2ch driven THD 0.09%)

Front   145W (6ohms, 1kHz, 1ch driven THD 0.9%) / 105W + 105W (6ohms, 1kHz, 2ch driven THD 1%) / 90W + 90W (6ohms, 20-20kHz, 2ch driven THD 0.09%)

Number of amp. channels 5ch

Speaker Impedance 6-16ohms

Surround145W (6ohms, 1kHz, 1ch driven THD 0.9%) / 105W + 105W (6ohms, 1kHz, 2ch driven THD 1%) / 90W + 90W (6ohms, 20-20kHz, 2ch driven THD 0.09%)

I'm looking to added the resistors or just purchase new speakers from Monoprice:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2

Other drawback is this reciever has no Bluetooth capability and no amp for the subwoofer.  All additional cost as well. Smiley Sad

BRD!

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 11 (196 Views)

Re: 3 Ohm speakers with STR-DH550

OK, I think I've got a fix for the subwoofer and center speaker.  I'll run them in series making them a 6 ohm impediance.

Now I need to figure out how to fix the side and surround speakers. Smiley Happy

Expert
Message 3 of 11 (193 Views)

I don't know anyone who actually tried this. Why not purchase what you need in the first place.

If you needed Bluetooth, buy a unit with Bluetooth.

Driving a passive subwoofer is more than an impedance matching exercise. Subwoofers are notorious for their higher power demands than speakers. That's why active subs are typical used for real audio receivers. HTIB amplifier units are designed to drive the low quality speakers and subs they are shipped with. HTIB amps are generally class D, thus often rated higher in watts than seen on AVRs. AVRs are generally A/B class amplified devices.

Never heard of someone trying to impedance match speakers with resistance. If you can't afford to do it right, you probably shouldn't be doing it at all. There's not much point in purchasing an AVR and running rubbish speakers on it that they were never intended to use. Good speakers provide more bang for the buck for a home theater than an AVR.

It's your money. Just make sure you buy resistors with an appropriate power rating or it will be a short exercise.
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 11 (172 Views)

Well I guess the fix will be to series connect the front L with Surrond L and series connect Front R with surround R. This will keep the speakers at 6 ohms for all active amp channels.

Alternatively I could ordered the 5.1 Monoprice set for $170.00. That is the lowest quality set I could find. Only problem would be that I would have to modify my custom speaker mounts to match that set. I'm building a new entertainment room and have a limited budget now to add all the toys I want. That is why I'm using my Samsung HTIB speakers. Yes, I'm new to this and am learning as I go. In addition, I'm learning about the speaker/receiver ohms match a bit late too. Which I knew about that when I got the speakers.
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 11 (171 Views)

Expert
Message 6 of 11 (155 Views)

This just isn't very smart and defeats the purpose of buying a receiver. Your drive to economy seems to set you up for getting poor results. Don't upgrade to an AVR if using the old HTIB is all you can afford. If HTIB speakers are all you can afford, use the HTIB amplifier unit it shipped with because it was made to provide balance and control for those speakers. Those speakers will sound best in that setup.

Wiring in a passive sub with the center channel creates a problems. First of all, you loose descrete level control for the center channel and sub output since they will be on the same channel. This will throw the balance of low frequcies and voice out of wack. Next you loose control of the LFE channel crossover frequency. Your HTIB was performing that function in its built in compliment of amplifiers. Thus your subwoofer will be running full range (and eating more power than necessary). You center channel sound levels will be spikey and low because of the power demands of the sub compared to the center channel. In addition, the auto room calibration probably isn't going to produce very good results. You'll more than likely need to set levels manually to get things balanced.

You seem to not listen to what your being told. You're better off and will have better sound by sticking to you HTIB amplifier device than trying to run its speakers thru a AVR as you describe. I can imagine this sounding like hot garbage.
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 11 (138 Views)

Random_V, Thank you for reviewing and providing some feedback. Yes I'm aware of the potential loss of sound quality by series connecting the speakers. I had it hooked up in normal fashion with good sound (vol. 14 to 16 setting). After reviewing more AVR topics and forums it was hyped up that the receiver would melt done because of the resistance/ohms conflict with the speakers and receiver. In reality, I'm not cranking this up to go deaf to impress a neighbor or friend. Was only looking to make surround sound at a comfortable level (entertainment room is 22' x 16'). So can you explain to me how much risk is there running these speakers with 3 Ohms at low to moderate volume? If minimal, do I really have a problem until I can upgrade to some quality HT 5.1 speakers at a later date? I'm not a teenager looking to maximize the output on this unit. If there is a real risk to the receiver, at what level will that occur? This is the real question.;0)
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 11 (137 Views)

Expert
Message 9 of 11 (133 Views)

Does it really matter what the consequences are because you seem quite determined to run them in one manner or another regardless of how they perform.

You seem uninterested in the practical matter of running resistors (power ratings). You seem uninterested in the fact you no longer have a functioning crossover. You seem uninterested how distances and delays will work. Just how can I save a few bucks by not doing things properly is your concern. Thus, just do it and learn by experience. You'll never be satisfied following advice given so chart your own path and make your own rules. You just want someone to tell you it's ok. It's ok.

Use resistors. Don't use resistors. Run a passive sub full range along with the center channel. Sounds great. Can't wait.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 11 (114 Views)

Hi Random_V, trust me....I'm listing. As mentioned, this resistance requirement is new to me and I'm trying to learn all the pros and cons of it. I would love to get a 6 ohm or higher speaker set to match this reciever. I'm on a $200.00 budget left for speakers. The only two I see is the Monoprice set and a Yahama set...https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/567876-REG/Yamaha_NS_SP1800BL_NS_SP1800BL_5_1_Channel_Home_Th...

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2

Which would you recommend to get the best sound quality from this receiver?

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook