Welcome to the Community!

Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 5 (515 Views)

AirPlay / Chromecast / Spotify Connect Zone 2 Only STR-DN1080

Hi! Has anyone on the community had any luck playing Spotify Connect (or Chromecast...ing or AirPlay.. ing) on a rather modern Sony receiver (STR-DN1060/70/80) on Zone 2 only?

I've just installed my brand-new Sony STR-DN1080 and had no success whatsoever trying to listen to Spotify Connect (or AirPlay for that matter) on Zone 2 EXCLUSEVELY. It always reverts my Main Zone back to Spotify (or AirPlay) as one common and unique source for both zones. When I then try to revert my Main Zone back to any other source (SAT/CATV for example) the Zone 2 speakers stop casting. When I turn off the Main Zone, Zone 2 remains On (Standby), but the music cast stops.

A little background: I have a 5.1 speaker system on the Main Zone and 2 speakers on another room, connected directly to the Zone 2 Speaker connections back on the receiver. The only sources I could use exclusively until now on Zone 2 were the Analog RCAs and Home Network. In the Home Network case I use Serviio on my old iMac with a couple of Online Streaming Radios setup for testing. While using Spotify Connect the display in front of the receiver shows "SPOTIFY" but the Zone Controls GUI Source Field shows nothing at all. That's the same behavior while using AirPlay. Front display shows "AirPlay" but Zone Controls GUI Source shows nothing as well.

Interestingly, I just updated the firmware on the STR-DN1080 to the latest version M41.R.0374 and after that the list of Devices Available on my iPhone (5S iOS11) Spotify App keeps changing from "Spotify Connect" to "Chromecast". They appear at the same time just for a few seconds (3s max). This happens after I started my trial period for Spotify Premium, precisely in order to test the Spotify Feature on the STR-DN1080. I thought that feature would solve my "AirPlay" not playing exclusively on Zone 2 problem. The funny thing is that when "Casting" using the Bulti-In Chromecast feature (instead of Spotify "Connecting"), I can successfully turn off the Main Zone and my Spotify music continue playing on my Zone 2 speakers. I also use another Spotify account, not premium yet, to test the "Casting" vs "Connecting" behavior. I also kind of think that I succeeded last night "Casting"(not "Connecting"), but it was after so many hours of trial and error that I am not sure any longer...

Rather surprisingly is the choice of "Music Services List" on the Zone Controls GUI Source option. When choosing it, nothing happens at all. That is, when I try (chrome) "casting" or (spotify) "connecting" both zones plays my chosen source (Chromecast or Spotify Connect), and the Zone Controls GUI Source Field shows nothing as per usual (if one presses the "Source Field" while blank, "SORUCE" is imediatly choosen instead).

For the moment, I am using the Home Network Server (macOS Serviio). But this is not as elegant and as practical as a direct Spotify connection exclusive to Zone 2. The AirPlay function would be as nice as would be Chromecasting as well (I am using an old AirPort Express connected to the Red/White Analog RCA Jack's for the moment).

Sorry for the long description. And I hope someone has an idea for a solution. Cheers!

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 5 (159 Views)

Re: AirPlay / Chromecast / Spotify Connect Zone 2 Only STR-DN1080

Please let me know if you find a solution. I am having simular problems but just with AirPlay. It will work sometimes if I connect thru Blu-tooth but then when it hands off to wifi, it stops working. The receiver is grayed out in the Sony Song app. Thanks,

Expert
Message 3 of 5 (118 Views)

Many receivers from various brands limit zone 2 independent use to analog sources for the < $700 price point. Generally the more expensive the receiver is, the more flexibility in what it can handle in zones 2 & 3. How much you spend usually determines what you can send to those other zones.

Having independent zones is fun until you dig into the details. The more you pay, the more can do in those other zones. I would suggest downloading your manual and reading what is and isn't supported in zone 2. Manufacturers need to do a better job of communicating this. They market the idea of playing a second source in another zone but the limitations are usually not as out in front as the marketing.
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 5 (111 Views)

[ Edited ]

kdsky64 wrote:

Please let me know if you find a solution. I am having simular problems but just with AirPlay. It will work sometimes if I connect thru Blu-tooth but then when it hands off to wifi, it stops working. The receiver is grayed out in the Sony Song app. Thanks,

Hi! Have yet to find a solution. I hoped someone from Sony could solve this problem. When you say you have this problem just with AirPlay, do you mean you did not have a problem with Spotify and Chromecasting or you did not even try it? Cheers!

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 5 (102 Views)

Random_V wrote:
Many receivers from various brands limit zone 2 independent use to analog sources for the < $700 price point. Generally the more expensive the receiver is, the more flexibility in what it can handle in zones 2 & 3. How much you spend usually determines what you can send to those other zones.

Having independent zones is fun until you dig into the details. The more you pay, the more can do in those other zones. I would suggest downloading your manual and reading what is and isn't supported in zone 2. Manufacturers need to do a better job of communicating this. They market the idea of playing a second source in another zone but the limitations are usually not as out in front as the marketing.

Hi Random V. And thank you for your reply! I have actually read the manual and online help guide for this Receiver (among others) before deciding to buy it in order to replace my STR-DN1010 (which in time replaced my old STR-DE945), for I needed a Receiver with not only two zones, but aslo with two HDMI Outputs to use with my new Sony Projector VPL-HW55ES, parallel to my Plasma TV.

In particular, the "Available Inputs for Zone 2" section of the manual clearly lists HOME NETWORK and MUSIC SERVICE LIST as available sources for Zone 2, besides an "Asterisk Note" which states: "* You can select either [FM TUNER], [USB], [Home Network], [Music Service List] or [Bluetooth] from the main zone and Zone 2. Priority is given to the choice which has most recently been selected, even if a different choice has already been selected in one of the zones."

Please notice that I am NOT trying to listen to any Digital HDMI, Optical or Coaxial source on my Zone 2 Speakers, as it would not be possible. Nor I am trying to listen simultaneously to two among those five listed sources on the "Asterisk Note".

What I want to be able to do, and I think it is in acordance with Sony's marketing material, manual and online help guide, is to use the SAT/CATV HDMI source (or any other HDMI source) on the Main Zone and listen to AirPlay or Spotify (or Chromecast for that matter) on my Zone 2 Amplified Speakers. And I don't think it is an issue with the DIGITAL type of input signal, since I can perfectly use the HOME NETWORK source on Zone 2 without ever disrupting my Main Zone (or any HDMI source on Main Zone, that is). Correct if I am worng, but I assume DLNA is digtal, not analog, right? Repeating... I can perfectly listent to my DIGITAL DLNA music (coming from Serviio on an old iMac on my netwokl) using the HOME NETWORK input on Zone 2, WITHOUT EVER disrupting the Main Zone. But it is a comletly different matter with AirPlay and Spotify.

I can also use the FM Radio on Zone 2 without ever disrupting my Main Zone, but that is besides the point here, since the FM Radio is, suposedly, an Analog source almost exacly as the Red/White RCA Inputs are. But I mentioned it anyways for I think it is important to notice that some among the five listed sources on the "Asterisk Note" can actually work at Zone 2 without ever disrupting the Main Zone (I have yet to test USB and Bluetooth which are two aditional digital sources). 

Also, if you read closely my first and detalied post, you would realize it MIGHT be a problem of bad implamentation, since Spotify sometimes works as I think it was intended when "Casting" (through the embeded Chromecast) but not through "Spotify Connect".

You also mention the price point as a possible barrier. This seems quite strange to me, since Sony more expensive receivers, the ones from the STR-ZAxxxxES series, don't seem to be network capable (besides for IP control and Web Setup). And Sony own STR-ZA810ES (which seems to be the STR-DN1080 with IP Control), is still $1 bellow the cut price ;ˆD

Anyways, it would be nice if Sony could deliver what seems to be stated on their Marketing Material and what IS indeed written on their Product Manual and Online Help Guide.

Cheers!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook