Welcome to the Community!

Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9 (1,012 Views)

Case ID #: 142167: Worst Blame-game customer service

Bought a audio/video receiver H750. Plugged it in to do the test, sound went through each speaker for the test and then it went into protect mode. Tried to unplug it and wait for a few minutes, but as soon as we plugged it back in and turned it on it went straight to protect mode. We had bought the receiver from our Sony points earned from our Sony credit card. Called the Sony Rewards division, which said it wasn't their problem, we'd have to contact Sony support. Called them and got the round-about. Called our credit card and said they would contact sony and get things figured out. Now we get an email that we have to go through Sony product support again. All we want is a ****** UPS return label so we can send this non-working one back and get sent back one that actually works. We've had an Onkyo for 15 years without a problem. Decided to "upgrade" to newer technology and it last all of 5 seconds. Way to stand behind your defective product. Make it simpler on your customers. Most of all the electronic products we have in our house is Sony, from cameras, video camera, computers, blueray (which is also defective but we got it a year ago) and now the next product we get is defective? Going downhill Sony! Guess my next laptop for Christmas will be a Dell or HP. You lost a loyal customer by your lack of customer service. I have been faithfully buying Sony products since 1999. No more. Fix my ****** receiver and let me send back this P.O.S.  It shouldn't be this hard to get a quality product. Sick of getting transfered to a different department because "it's not on their end". If I've already called Sony technical support, Sony rewards, and my Sony credit card company, who's left to call? Figure it out people!

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 9 (994 Views)

Re: Case ID #: 142167: Worst Blame-game customer service

[ Edited ]

Hi

I am an electronics technician with many years experience with Sony home theater receivers.

Do not reach the conclusion yet that the unit is defective

1) > > Disconnect ALL speakers. Disconnect ALL other gadgets - DVD, televison, etc. < <

2) Do factory reset. On most Sony equipment this is as simple as pressing and holding power button until you see CLEARED on front panel display. Check with your owner's manual if necessary.

3) Let me know whether or not it stays on.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 9 (971 Views)

Didn't work. Unplugged everything (speakers, Wi-fi, modem, etc) held the power button and reset. It said CLEARED and then right back to PROTECT. You should have our first call on file, if the person entered any notes. We just want one that works. A new product should work and shouldn't have to go over the river and through the woods to get it to work even once.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 9 (963 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi

I do not work for Sony. I have no affilliation with them or any others.

I am an independent sound and communications equipment professional with many years experience.

I see this problem so many times. You buy a new receiver, connect your speakers and TV and it works for about five minutes.Then you get a PROTECT error.

I can say with about 95% certainty defective speaker(s) or speaker wiring is the culprit.

They all work this way - whether it's Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc. 

It will need servicing because one or more power output transistors have failed.

SUGGESTION:

If you get a replacement, do not immediately connect any speakers. Use headphones. Connect a DVD player or your cable box, etc. and test as many functions as possible.

Once you do that, connect a verified and known good set (two) of speakers to the front L and R terminals with power off. Verify your wiring carefully before powering on.Test again.

If all is well, you can connect your other verified and known good speakers and other equipment to complete your installation.

If you reconnect defective speakers or wiring you will be sending that one back too.

Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9 (946 Views)

Hi ebpyro,

Please check the links below for further assistance.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39107/p/41901,43145,92877,92879/c/65,66/kw/protect

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39211/p/41901,43145,92877,92879/c/65,66/kw/protect

If these doesn't work, kindly send us your reference number/event ID via Private Message(PM).

It starts with "E" ex. E1234567 so we can review your file.

Thanks,

>Joffrey

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 9 (838 Views)

It's not the speakers. My husband checked the Ohms from each speaker and everything is normal. (By the way, he has a degree in electronics and programming so he could easily fix the item, but why should we have to fix a brand new item that's never been used) Our Onkyo was working just fine with it. When just connected to the wall outlet with no speakers plugged in it goes into protect mode. It's been 6 weeks of phone calls between our Capital One Sony Rewards credit card company, Sony Rewards company, and Sony tech support. No satisfactory resolution has happened. Tech support wants us to send the unit back so they can repair it and ship it back to us. If I wanted a reburbished unit I would have paid the discounted price and bought one. When given the scenario to the operator of him going to buy an expensive pair of jeans to get them home, take them out of the bag eventually, and realize that the zipper was busted only to go back and they tell him they can't exchange it for him but they'll repair it, what would he do. The jeans were never wore. In our case, I haven't heard any music or sound come from the receiver. They claim a 14 day policy, but it says for a damaged unit. We didn't even open the box for a couple weeks and the box is not damaged. Customer service absolutely ****** with this company. I should have bought from Best Buy. At least then I would know I can return a defective unit for one that works.

After being a Sony Rewards member since 1999, I will be cancelling my Sony credit card and will no longer be buying Sony products.

Step up your customer service Sony! You're losing faithful customers.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 9 (828 Views)

You cannot verify a good speaker by DC resistance measurement of the voice coil alone.

Perform a reset from diagnostic/service mode.

If it still shuts down take note if it's displaying an over-current error or DC protect error.

If it's displaying either one, have it replaced/repaired under warranty.

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 9 (461 Views)

I have an old receiver - STR-D790.

All is disconnected - can't get ris of the PROTECTOR error.

Just tried holding power button but unit goes off. At least that works.

Do you know the equivalent of the CTL_ALT_Delete reset??

If not, I plan to ope it up (way past warranty - don't want o pay a fortune for a tech) to fix it myself.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Message 9 of 9 (440 Views)

Hi Srosen,

Welcome to the SONY Community!

We already replied to your other post about the PROTECTOR error. Kindly visit the link: 

http://community.sony.com/t5/Home-Theater-Products/PROTECTOR/m-p/622554/highlight/false#M15561.

Regards,

~Erin

If my post answers your question, please click the button below "Accept as Solution".

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook