Welcome to the Community!

Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 3 (167 Views)
Accepted Solution

Connecting HT-ST5000 (HDCP 2.2) to Sony Bravia KDL-W950a TV (HDCP 2.0) through HDMI cables

[ Edited ]

All,

Is it possible to connect Sony HT-ST5000 Sound Bar to Sony Bravia KDL-W950a TV (year 2014 model) . I am asking it because Sound bar compatible with only format of HDMI  HDCP 2.2, do not support HDMI HDCP 2.0 at all.But my TV supports only HDMI HDCP 2.0/2.1.

I am in  a tight  situation to be known or be acknowledged , whether soundbar is in any way could make it compatible connecting to my TV ,by strictly only through HDMI Cables.

Does ever a HDCP 2.0 complaint TV could connect to a Soundbar compatible with only HDCP 2.2  via HDMI? Is there a way to circumvent and leverage the full potential of all surround sound formats supported by Sound Bar.

My requirement is to play music (songs stored in nas or mobile)  and to hear voice crisply  playing  movies in Netflix app and from movies stored in NAS & Plex . 

I never play any movies from Blue-ray players.

Please suggest me following :

1. If there is a way to connect HDCP 2.0 complaint TV to a Soundbar compatible with only HDCP 2.2  via HDMI?

2. Well is it still worth to purchase this sound bar and connecting the TV via Optical cable , keeping in mind that my requirement is  to stream movies from, Netflix , NAS,Plex  & listen music  through  the soundbar played from my Smartphones/Ipad.

3. Any suggested soundbars to meet my requirement (only space saving ones).

4. does this soundbar has in-built Hdmi port supporting HDCP 2.0 or not.

thank you all for your good inputs.

Regards

Veera

Expert
Message 2 of 3 (100 Views)

Re: Connecting HT-ST5000 (HDCP 2.2) to Sony Bravia KDL-W950a TV (HDCP 2.0) through HDMI cables

Simply run optical cable and call it a day. Audio from a TV via HDMI arc or optical are basically equivalent unless you have an eArc TV (2017 LG OLED TVs for example). Your TV isn't capable of Atmos, 7.1 or 5.1 lossless thru arc anyway. If you're not passing a blu-ray player thru the soundbar, the answers to your questions are more or less irrelevant. You're not gaining anything by insisting on HDMI arc.

HDCP 2.2 via HDMI only matters when you are passing HDCP 2.2 protected content thru the devices connected. According to the use you just descibed, it isn't a problem because it isn't within your use. Why worry about HDCP versions.

You could walk into a store and buy an 4K UHD Blu-ray (HDCP 2.2 compliant) and a 4K UHD movie and plug it into your existing TV and watch it to completion. You will get a 1080p down resolution without HDR or WCG because your TV isn't 4K nor is it HDCP 2.2 compliant. Any features requiring HDCP 2.2 will be missing. Yet, you will be able to watch it.

Don't let yourself get hung up in the HDCP specs. Get a good soundbar you like. Recent Sonys seem to be problematic but get one if you wish.
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 3 (66 Views)

Re: Connecting HT-ST5000 (HDCP 2.2) to Sony Bravia KDL-W950a TV (HDCP 2.0) through HDMI cables

Thank you so much for your clarification. It really resolved my doubts.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook