Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9 (545 Views)
Accepted Solution

Connecting a Sub to STR-DN1080 Correctly

This is a really rudimentary question. I tried Googling the answer and searching the boards/forums but couldn't find an exact answer. 

I initially connected my subwoofer (Inifity PS8) by connecting the LFE port of the sub to ONE of the subwoofer ports on the receiver. After running the autocalibration the system told me that my sub was connected incorrectly. I then used an RCA splitter to connect both subwoofer ports on the AVR to the LFE port on the sub, re-ran the calibration, and all went well. 

So I'm wondering:

1. Is this right? It doesn't seem right that I need a splitter. Do I need to connect the L and R ports of the subwoofer to the two ports on the AVR?
  2. If this is how I would do this, how would I connect two subs in the future? Would I then need two pairs of splitters to connect to the L & R inputs of the subwoofers? 

Sorry if this is already answered elsewhere. Thanks in advance for your help.

Rookie
Message 2 of 9 (535 Views)

Re: Connecting a Sub to STR-DN1080 Correctly

I'm setting mine up today and have the same question but also what ohm (4-8) is the subwoofer output rated for? 

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 9 (525 Views)

The subwoofer ports are line-level output. I'm almost positive that you don't need to worry about impedance matching, but I could be wrong.
Expert
Message 4 of 9 (513 Views)

mikasaur, you are right in questioning the set up. The receiver is called a 7.2 receiver because the two LFE outputs are for feeding two subs (.2). Technically, it thinks two subs are connected most likely.

Maybe there is some other issue regarding the connection at the subwoofer side. Since you did not identify what sub brand and model you are using, there is little that can be added.

I have a Polk Audio sub that is using one of the two sub outs (LFE) on my receiver and the y-splitter is going into the two inputs on the sub. That is the traditional way of using a y-splitter. My sub has line in L and R.
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 9 (510 Views)

Thanks Random_V. The sub I am using is an Infinity PS-8 (http://audio.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/infinity/ps8.html?p=5). It has an LFE input as well as Line-Level Left and Right. My Y-splitter is likely the opposite direction of yours, converging the two Sub outputs from the AVR and terminating at the LFE input at the sub.

I chatted with Sony Support who told me that the STR-DN1080 does NOT support two subwoofers. The second port is just an "alternate". Very frustrating considering this unit is advertised as a 7.2 system.

I'll try connecting the sub out to the LFE of my sub once more just to make sure there wasn't a loose connection or something. Then I may try using the y-splitter like you do, Random_V -- connecting one of the two sub outs to the L and R on the sub.

I'll report back when I try it out. Thanks again.
Expert
Message 6 of 9 (499 Views)

Interesting that contradicts Sony's own description for this unit:

STR-DN1080
7.2 ch. Dolby Atmos® Wi-Fi® Network AV Receiver.

Maybe the tech support people have their own definition of 7.2 that is completely different than the rest of the industry. But if you go into the manual for the STR-DN1080 , it says on page 18 under:

Installing Speakers

You can connect up to 7 speakers and 2 subwoofers to this AV receiver. Place the speakers and
subwoofers according to the speaker system of your preference.

So either:

1) The manual is right and the tech support person is wrong.

or

2) The manual is wrong and the tech support person is right.

Neither case is a communication triumph for Sony. Any chance you may have misunderstood what they said? If not, Sony could have some explaining to do to the FTC if the tech was correct.

My guess is the tech told you something in error.

Now, getting back to your problem. If you have a single LFE input, you have no need for the splitter at all. Use any one of sub outs on the receiver to connect to the LFE input on the sub and you're done.
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 9 (487 Views)

So the unit by itself does not support two subwoofers. The reason it's called a 7.2 is because you can connect it to another amplifier that can connect to a second sub. Very misleading if you ask me.

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 3.43.59 PM.png

Here's the link he ended up giving me: http://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn108/v1/en/contents/TP0001224867.html?search=amplifier

Expert
Message 8 of 9 (439 Views)

That is the bigest pile of horse excrement explanation I've been given in quite some time.

"You can connect up to 7 speakers and 2 subwoofers to this AV receiver." means you can connect up to 7 speakers and 2 subwoofer to *this* receiver not another receiver or amplifier in a second zone. Since running two channels in a second zone removes those two channels, it wouldn't be 7 as in 7.2 but 5.1/2.1. The illustration provided suggests a 5 1/2.0 type set up. Everything you say they said is non-sensical.

Using an explanation like this, my Marantz is a 7.2 or 5.2/2.2 because I can get a 2nd Marantz and run 2 more subs off that one two.

Did the genuis explain where the LFE for the 2nd Zone is coming from since the image only shows a left and right channel being taken from the receiver?

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 9 (298 Views)

Haha, no I did not ask him where the LFE for the 2nd Zone was. I figured I'd just get frustrated by the answer.

I'm guessing you can plug the L&R into the L&R inputs of your sub woofer (if it has them). But then you're asking the sub to do the crossover -- assuming the receiver hasn't already done the crossover and left out all the low frequency stuff anyways!!

Yeah. So this is a 7.1 receiver, not a 7.2. Very misleading.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook