Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apprentice
Message 81 of 93 (1,761 Views)

Re: Dolby Atmos Support For Current Receivers (STR-DA5800ES)?

I would not buy a Sony product again.  Other AVR brands easily made the Atmos availble on much older receivers, but not Sony. They lost all my business. I moved on to Yamaha.  

Expert
Message 82 of 93 (1,742 Views)

We never know what the future holds unfortunately, in the UK we can now buy Dolby Atmos & DTS:X Receivers for just £349 which is considerably cheaper than the Sony equivalent. Sony's new model might interest a few people but it's too expensive for the average buyer. 

Unfortuantely not all receivers are suitable for an upgrade anyway. For a start your receiver would need to be able to support additional speaker connections just to be able to make it work.

Yamaha is a fine brand, my subwoofer is made by them.

Please don't forget to give me Kudos for any answers which you find helpful, you can do this by clicking the 'Thumbs-Up' button below my replies.

Thanks!
Enthusiast
Message 83 of 93 (636 Views)

Almost every brand of receivers have atmos and dts:x now days.. even in the 300-700$ price range! They must realize how bad this is hurting their sales! I've been a Sony customer for 20 years and I will not be buying another Sony receiver if they don't add atmos via firmware update..hate to do it but Sony has left me NO CHOICE. Please Sony.. please add atmos firmware update!
Expert
Message 84 of 93 (631 Views)

@Zte1133

I can say with some degree of certainty that an upgrade will not happen. Sony have never proven me wrong yet!

Best bet look alsewhere if Atmos or DTS:X is important to you. For me I can't justify changing my receiver just yet because it will require me purchasing 2 x Atmos 'in-ceiling speakers' which don't come cheap. My current setup is 7.1 so I already have a lot of speakers not to mention two of these are being used on the 'Front High' channel.

Best of luck anyway Smiley Happy

Please don't forget to give me Kudos for any answers which you find helpful, you can do this by clicking the 'Thumbs-Up' button below my replies.

Thanks!
Enthusiast
Message 85 of 93 (630 Views)

Enthusiast
Message 86 of 93 (626 Views)

I can understand that and agree with you. They did announce that the 1080 will have atmos and dts:x.. just hoping they'd do the firmware update for my 1070. I'll give it a few months to see if they will.. if not it's by by Sony. Normally I wouldn't care too much about have atmos but just bought a new house with a dedicated theater room and will be putting atmos in it.. we'll see!
Expert
Message 87 of 93 (619 Views)

What you have to take into account is whether your receiver can support the extra speakers required for an Atmos setup, if you don't have enough connections a firmware update wouldn't solve anything.

If you look back through my earlier comments at the start of this post I've outlined how many speakers can be used.

Thanks!
Enthusiast
Message 88 of 93 (617 Views)

My receiver is a 7.2ch so I could do atmos on only 2 overhead speakers. I'm actually thinking now I might just buy a 9.2ch so I can utilize all 4 overheads. Not that there's that much content out yet but atleast I'll be future proof for a little while.
Highlighted
Expert
Message 89 of 93 (589 Views)

Yes you could do that but it does depend whether you get a firmware upgrade (highly unlikely). Sony are not in the habbit of giving things away for nothing and certainly not where a fast buck can be made on selling you a more expensive product.

I hear from other customers that many people buy Onkyo receiversfor the added Atmos / DTS:X features and prices here in the UK are very good. 

As for media..., well I've seen quite a lot of BD discs lately with Atmos sound so it does look like more manufacturers are adopting this technology.

Good luck!

Thanks!
Enthusiast
Message 90 of 93 (560 Views)

I can understand Sony not wanting to provided major updates as it persuades the purchaser to buy an upgrade amplifier... but the 5800 is now 5 years old and not been replaced in the UK! There has been a new ES amp in the US, but this is not available here and I am told that is wont be!!!

The 5800 now lacks major advances:

• 11.2 Atmos.
  • 4k streaming (HVEC).
  • No current codecs. (Has regular internal media player crashes that requires power disconnect to restart (my 55x9005a does not). My £50 KM8 Pro box is far better at playing media.)
  • No way to hide/ delete apps that now don't work because the service was cancelled.
  • Its also not the most power efficient amp in standby.
  • It also takes forever to start up from a cold start.
  • DLNA media menus are painfull to navigate (long lists)

I still love the sound from this amp though. Hooked up to my media centre PC it's amazing. It just lacks ability to play Atmos.

#Amp# - Sony STR-DA5800ES #Speakers# - Paradigm Reference - Studio 100s (front) - 60s (Rear and Sides) - CC-690 (Centre) #Subs# - Paradigm Signature - Sub-1 x2 #TV# - Sony - KD55x9005a 4K #Gaming/AV PC# - i7-5960x - 64GB - PCIE-SSD - Rampage Extreme MB - 2x nVidia Titan

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook