Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 11 (345 Views)
Accepted Solution

[HELP] Receiver turns off randomly (PROTECTOR)

[ Edited ]

So recently I set up my home theater system using the Sony STR-DH770 receiver with a full 5.1 Sony speaker setup. Everything worked flawlessly. I was able to plug in my Xbox One to play games, watch Netflix and Sling, and watch the occasional movie on blu ray, all with no issues.

Today however, I put in the original Terminator blu ray, watched for less than 5 minutes, and my receiver turned off displaying "PROTECTOR" on the display panel. I turned it back on, tried watching again, and after 2 minutes, it happened again.

I took out the blu ray disk thinking maybe my whole system has stopped working properly at this point and loaded up YouTube and I've been watching constant videos for hours now with no issue. It seems to only happen with that Terminator blu ray disk. Any help?

Expert
Message 2 of 11 (326 Views)

Re: [HELP] Receiver turns off randomly (PROTECTOR)

It isn't the Blu-ray at fault. You run into the problem when all channels are driven. Most youtube videos are not multichannel. Your speakers may be a problem. What kind are they?
Expert
Message 3 of 11 (325 Views)

And don't say Sony speakers...need model numbers.
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 11 (301 Views)

Must be another set of cheap Samsung HTIB speakers. 😉 Probably another consumer who was unaware of the Ohm's matching requirement and heated up the receiver into "PROTECTOR" mode. Maybe you should advise him to buy a $2,000.00 set of speaker to fix the problem? Seems to be your fix, Random_V. 😂 Really wish Sony electrical engineers or technical suuport would offer some help sometimes.
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 11 (275 Views)

[ Edited ]

Front Speakers: SSCS3

Center Channel: SSCS8

Surround Speakers: SSCS5

Subwoofer: SACS9

Update: It also happened when watching Netflix just now. It consistently cuts off at the same point in the movie when the volume is at 33 or higher. I set it to 32 and it just works on and doesn't turn off. Also, when I turn it back on, the display reads the following:

LINEAR PCM [3/4.1[48KHZ]]

Don't know if that helps

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 11 (252 Views)

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, but I clearly stated that I have Sony speakers which I made sure fit both the watts per channel of my receiver as well as the ohms impedance.

Expert
Message 7 of 11 (215 Views)

Disregard Sonytoy. The problem with SonyToy is he's trying to run 3 ohm speakers HTIB speakers with a reciever. He shouldn't troll someone else's problem or I may to open up a can on him. He's doesn't know how easy of a mark he makes for himself I think I would enjoy that too much. Please don't tempt me....or do. It matters not. He is a master of projection. I tried to inform him of the problems he would face and has some rather dodgey ideas. The kind that seem not well thought out. Now calm down Toyboy, no one told you to spend $2,000 on a set of speakers. Infact you we're told to spend a dime. I encouraged you to persue your dreams so I don't know why your here. If you got a Sony engineer or tech support person here, they would tell you less than I would. All they would say is you should not run 3 ohm speakers and the damage caused by it would void your warranty. Let's be honest. Stop being a troll.
Expert
Message 8 of 11 (210 Views)

The fact that it happens at the same spot at a particular volume level does support the idea that you are exceeding a power level and the current protection is kicking in. The fact your running proper speakers suggests that you shouldn't be experiencing this issue.

I do have a question. Are you running your speakers as small or large? They should be set as small regardless of size. Let your powered sub take electrical load off the receiver. If you're running a sub, always use the small setting unless you have a monster sized reciever or amplifier. Even in those cases, I would run all speakers as small so you can avoid sound clarity issues near the transition frequency between the sub and main speakers.
Enthusiast
Message 9 of 11 (203 Views)

I think I may be the dumbest person to ever walk this earth. I just spent 5 hours of my day trying to fix this huge problem when the only issue was there was a metal allen wrench laying on the two banana plugs of my center channel. I guess they were causing some sort of interference because I simply removed it and I'm now running normally again. I truly do appreciate your willingness to help though Random_V. People like you keep this world going round. 

Expert
Message 10 of 11 (190 Views)

Stuff happens. It's great that it was something simple. I wish everyone just had a wrench problem. Enjoy!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook