Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 3 (782 Views)

HT-NT5 soundbar not playing TV audio

About 6 weeks ago I purchased a Bravia 75in 4k TV (exact model number eludes me as I am at work currently and only brought the soundbar owner manual with me, but I believe it is something with XBR at the beginning).  Last night the HT-NT5 soundbar suddenly and inexplicably stopped functioning for the TV.  No sound at all.  The previous evening, it worked fine.  Literally touched NOTHING between when it last worked and when this problem occurred.

I have seen  A LOT of posts about this model soundbar acting up just like I am experiencing with a variety of TV models.  I have seen to unplug the TV and soundbar for a few minutes, check both for software updates, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable from both the TV and soundbar.  I was just at a total loss as to why it would work one night, and 24 hours later stop.  Nobody was home in between these times, NOTHING would have even been touched at all.  Spent an hour last night scouring settings menus on both the soundbar and TV with no success.  I did need to download a new software update for the soundbar, but that did nothing.  I am wondering if there is also a new software update for the TV i need to download this evening?  I'm just looking for ideas while I am at work today to try to get this resolved when I get home this evening.  Any ideas beyond the things i just listed would be EXTREMELY appreciated!!

Apprentice
Message 2 of 3 (753 Views)

Re: HT-NT5 soundbar not playing TV audio

Update:  Last night I unplugged both the TV and soundbar from the surge protector for a few minutes.  Plugged them both back in, worked just fine (for the first time).  But then I turned everything off with the remote and had dinner with the family.  Went to turn everything back on, same issue again.  I had also read to press and hold the TV power button down for several seconds and the TV did it's restart.  The soundbar then worked again as soon as everything booted back up.  Thought maybe that was what i needed to do all along.  Turned everything off when i went to bed last night.  This morning before work i fired everything back up to test it.  Issue is back, again.  As of last night, i also ensured that both the TV and soundbar were fully up to date on software updates.  I reset both back to factory settings.

Please, does anybody either on this board or with Sony that monitors these boards have any other ideas!?  I have a blueray player plugged in one other HDMI port on the TV and the DirecTv Genie box plugged in another HDMI.  Would either of those mess with the HDMI connection as it relates to the ARC?

Apprentice
Message 3 of 3 (644 Views)

Re: HT-NT5 soundbar not playing TV audio

I was hesitant to post anything here the last week or so, assuming i would totally jinx myself.  But I ended up doing the following 3 things, not sure if any one of these was ultimately the answer or not, but I did all of these in succession (after confirming both TV and soundbar were completely up to date on software stuff):

1) Unplugged both the TV and soundbar from power source.  Unplugged the HDMI cable connecting TV to Soundbar and waited a couple of minutes.  Reconnected the HDMI cable securely.  plugged in soundbar and waited another minute or so before plugging in TV.

2) Turned on TV and soundbar.  I restored both TV and soundbar to factory settings.

3). Turned everything back off again.  When i powered everything back up again, i did a reboot of the TV by pressing the TV's remote control power button for what seemed like 7-10 seconds.

When the TV booted back up, there was a short delay in the audio, but then it came through the soundbar once more.  I had to reconnect the wireless sub via bluetooth again, but that was very simple.  Knock on wood, have had no issues since.  The TV, soundbar, and DirecTV genie box all power on and off via the DirecTV remote, which is great and much simpler than having 3 different remotes sitting in my sectional console. About the only complaint I would say that i have now is that when i power everything up, there is about a 10-15 second delay from everything firing up to when sound finally actually comes out of the soundbar.  But relative to where I was previously, no big deal on that.  I can live with that.  Hope this helps if anyone else comes across this issue in the future!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook