Welcome to the Community!

Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 5 (534 Views)

HT-ST5000 default input

Hello, I have a new HT-ST5000 soundbar, and I have a question about the inputs. I have our Xfinity X1 box connected to HDMI input 1 of the soundbar, and would like that to be the default input whenever we turn on the system. However each time we turn on the TV and soundbar, it switches to the TV input.

Is there a way to change it so that it defaults to HDMI 1 on power up? It would be great, to make it simpler for my wife if I'm not there...

Thanks in advance!

Message 2 of 5 (256 Views)

Re: HT-ST5000 default input

Hello BlakeEiseman,

The behavior you are seeing is due to the Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) (aka Control for HDMI).  Based upon your comments your Connections is:

Television <-- HDMI Cable --> HTST5000 <-- HDMI Cable (HDMI 1) --> Xfinity X1 Cable Box

If you turn on your television first, CEC sends a command downstream to the Soundbar that it turned on and switch to the TV input.  

However if you turn on your Xfinity Cable Box first, CEC Control will send commands upstream to the Television to turn on and the Soundbar to turn on and switch to the HDMI 1 input.  This might be the easiest solution for your setup.

However, you can turn off the Soundbar CEC Control to prevent the auto switching of inputs and all other CEC commands.  

On the HTST5000 go to [HOME] > Setup > System Settings > HDMI Settings > Control for HDMI and switch it to OFF.  

Please note that this will prevent all CEC Control commands from functioning, e.g. Volume control from your television remote.

Thank you,

Chris

Rookie
Message 3 of 5 (137 Views)

Hi Chris,

I'm new to this forum and see that you are clearly the resident guru on anything Sony related. I have both a HT-XT3 & HT-ST5000 sound deck/bar and I.mtrying to connect them to my KDL-50W829B tv. I have connected using the HDMI port which is labelled (ARC) and using the ARC setup suggested in the instructions. I can get sound through the sound bar but the TV does not display the Home setup screen. All I get is an alternating snowy image and black screen.

I have setup both of these HT products on my son's basic Samsung 4K TV and ensured that the settings are all for standard not 4k TV's. On this Samsung TV I can view home screen and all settings. I have confirmed software is up to date on all HT products listed here and also my TV but still not sorted. All TV settings set to auto and Bravia sync all switched on.

Can you advise if my TV is actually compatible with these devices and if so what I need to do to get them to work correctly?

Many Thanks.

Message 4 of 5 (131 Views)

Hello KevL37,

First, I see that you are from the UK as is the Television KDL-50W829B you reference.  I am not familar with any regional variations for this model specifically.  You can reach out to your specific region to better address your inquiry.

The following link is for the UK site; however you can change this to a different country/language by clicking on the flag to the right of the Sony logo at the top of the page:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/english-community/ct-p/en

Second, assuming that your television has a ARC input (which I would assume it does based upon your comments below) then ARC would support both the Video Input (Home menu from the Soundbar and Soundbase) and the Audio Return Channel (ARC) back to the Soundbar and Soundbase.  If you are getting Snowy image and Black screen this is most likely your HDMI cable.  I am only talking about your Soundbar / Soundbase menu system.

IF you are utilizing 4K content and seeing the above behavior then you may not be utilizing the correct HDMI port.  For the HTXT3 you need to use the HDMI 1 port that is listed as HDCP 2.2 to support 4K encrypted content.  For the HTST5000 all of the ports are HDCP2.2 compliant.  

Thank you,

Chris

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 5 of 5 (94 Views)

Thank you Chris

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook