Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 23 (1,718 Views)

HT-ST9 Soundbar Dead

Good Evening,

My HT-ST9 has died for the second time in its short 1 year lifespan... The symptoms are exactly the same: It forever remains in the start-up state of "Please Wait". Occasionally when it does move beyond the "Please Wait" scrolling, it is not functional (unable to change Input sources, adjust subwoofer volume). Beyond that, just recently, the speakers on the system now rattle at certain frequencies, it is extremely frustrating.

I need to know what my options are at this point as I no longer believe this product to be reliable - I'm still under the one year warranty.. my assumption is that I want a repair - I have to pay again to ship it back, which to me is unacceptable after the same issue manages to reappear.

Please assist.

Apprentice
Message 2 of 23 (1,705 Views)

Re: HT-ST9 Soundbar Dead

[ Edited ]

Hello, in my honest opinion, I think the latest Sony soundbars do no appreciate regular HDMI cables, since they have mulltiple communication streams running data through the cables, whilst every end user has a different setup hooked to the bars.

To be on the safe side, I have aquired hdmi 2.0 cables from amazon (cheap) instead of scratching my head trying to import premium certified hdmi 2.0 cables from the US. A cheap brand for example is monoprice, but shipping to europe is 5 folds the price of cables.

If you want to give the soundbar a last chance, I would unplug all cables from the bar together with the electric plug,

take out the original sony hdmi 2.0 cable that came in the box

plug the cable to the bar's hdmi out, and to an hdmi input on the TV that does NOT do ARC.

Turn on the TV and choose the hdmi input you plugged the cable to.

Plug the bar's electric cable to the electric wall socket

now to reset to factory

On the first message, on the bar, press [VOL+] and I/O for more than five seconds, and you will see on the oled the message...WAIT...RESET....and the bar turns back on.

Press I/O to turn the bar off...wait 10 seconds

Press I/O to turn ON and re-calibrate the whole

good luck, regards

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 23 (1,659 Views)

jirages,

Thanks for the heads up - I've tried all your recommendations from the first time this happened. Unfortunately, no luck.

As an update however, I did call Sony support and surprisingly enough, the support person I spoke to openly stated that this is a known issue with the HT-ST9. After stating so, he immediately started the process of getting this shipped out. Problem is, no one seems to be aware if the issue itself has been resolved, and whether a replacement has a fix in place or is destined to encounter this issue again.

Message 4 of 23 (1,614 Views)

Hello peterjoualee,

Sorry to hear about your problems with your HTST9.  

If you are completely locked up and cannot access anything, perform a Force Reset on the Soundbar.

Press and Hold the [POWER] and [VOL-] buttons on the unit (not the remote) for approximately 5-10 seconds.  The unit should to a forced reset.  

After you your HTST9 set up again, perform a Software Update to the current version of firmware M28.R.0422  

HOME Menu > Setup > Software Update

Thank you,

Chris

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 23 (1,601 Views)

Thanks for the reply Chris,

Unfortunately, the force-reset did not work. Sony Support was contacted and confirmed a known issue with this soundbar. It has been sent back for repair.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 23 (1,537 Views)

Any news on this.

I had mine repaired 2 months a go for the dreaded please wait message. Only had the soundbar for 8 months.

If it does it again just out of my 1 year warranty I'll be doing the social media rounds if they don't fix it again.

The annoying thing is I don't know if they have fixed the root problem on the main board, which is what was replaced.

Fingers crossed.
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 23 (1,514 Views)

Hey Skynet,

I'll keep you posted. 

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 23 (1,243 Views)

Mine died again. Sony were terrible and said I was out of warranty (month 13 or 12 months). Thankfully Amazon gave me a full refund.

A Sony product will never enter my home again.

Rookie
Message 9 of 23 (932 Views)

I think you have to press the power button and minus sign
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 23 (465 Views)

TQ so much bro. I did as you instructed. TQ

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook