2 weeks ago
OK an update from the UK...
Sony UK have been in touch and offered me a buy back on my RT5. It's not what I paid for it, but not a bad offer. Now I have to make a decision, send it back and buy something else or keep it and wait for this 'fix'. There is no ETA on this however.
2 weeks ago
Could I ask what they offered ? It amazing they can sell faulty goods, string everyone along for months promising a non-existent fix and then offer you less than you paid -presumably on account of it being something that doesn't work very well !
Saturday - last edited Saturday
Update from Sweden. Got an email the other day regarding my support case: "Sony is working on a fix. No ETA". Reached out to Chris (SonyHAV) about three weeks ago but haven't been contacted by anyone about any buy back option.
30% less because its faulty!!!
They would probaly give you 100% if it worked and did what it said on the box!!!
Like ive said $ony are a joke of a company the response to this problem is a JOKE.
I would NEVER get another $ony product again and have all ready replaced most $ony things in my house with other Brands and to be honest found them to be better products like Samsung phones over the Sony.
For me the whole response to this Issue which has been going on for nearly 10 months is a farce.
$ony will never get a penny of my money again.