Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 3 (325 Views)

No Audio Via HDMI From PC Without Turning TV on STR-dh820

Hello,

I have a Sony STR DH820 for my central hub.  I use a computer as a media server.  The receiver is used for music, TV, and movies.  When I feed video/audi through HDMI to the receiver and to the TV, there is no audio unless I first turn the TV on.  If I'm watching a movie this is fine, but for music it's a nuisance.  Once audi has come on, I can turn the TV off without a problem.  If I run audio via optical there are no problems, other than my onboard audio processor does not support 5.1 surround.

Sony technical support has been of no help.  Does anyone on here have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Andy

Expert
Message 2 of 3 (288 Views)

Re: No Audio Via HDMI From PC Without Turning TV on STR-dh820

I'm not much help either. Sounds like a weird HDMI handshaking issue that is being solved by the TV being on. The video card on the PC isn't being satified without a video source at the other end. Since it is the source, it isn't allowing certain functionality until it finds a video sink (TV) at the other end.
Expert
Message 3 of 3 (287 Views)

Re: No Audio Via HDMI From PC Without Turning TV on STR-dh820

Lets try that again:

The video card on the PC isn't being satified without a video sink at the other end. Since it is the source, it isn't allowing certain functionality until it finds a video sink (TV) at the other end.

All that means is it probably isn't the TV or reciever's fault. It most likely is the card in the PC.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook