Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 8 (2,809 Views)
Accepted Solution

SONY ATMOS PLEASE!!

I have always used Sony products and never had any issues, have spent well over 10,000$ over the years on all my Sony products. Has anyone heard if Sony plans to do a firmware update for Dolby atmos or dts-x on older models? I have the str-dn1070 and I love it but I must admit that I will no longer be buying Sony products if atmos is not added. All other brands have atmos even in the 300-600$ range. Sony must realize how much it's going to hurt their sales if they don't add it. Any info would be great! Thanks in advance!
Message 2 of 8 (2,779 Views)

Re: SONY ATMOS PLEASE!!

[ Edited ]

Hello Zte1133,

Unfortunately a firmware update would not be feasible to support Atmos mutlichannel audio on older models due to the hardware requirements to process the signal.

Additionally the STRDN1070 is a 7.1 surround system and would "throw away" the additional audio channels that the 11.2 channels that Atmos supports.

Sony does support Atmos on our ES line of recievers.  For example the STRZA5000ES.

I hope that this information helps,

Chris

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 8 (2,772 Views)

There is plenty of 7.2 channeled receivers out there with atmos. Yes you wouldn't be able to utilize atmos to its full capability but it's still worth doing and many do it. Sorry but looks like I'll be getting a different brand receiver.
Message 4 of 8 (2,700 Views)

Hi Zte1133,

Welcome and thank you for considering SONY Community!

Please check the Sony STR-DN1080.

Specifications in the link below.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/hd-home-cinema/str-dn1080

Thanks,

>Joffrey

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 8 (2,675 Views)

Already got an onkyo. Thanks though.
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 8 (2,478 Views)

[ Edited ]

Exactly, the STR-DN1080 is virtually identical to the 1070, but with Atmos/DTS X support(and minus the HDMI port on the front?)

I just bought my 1070 two weeks ago, and I am contemplating returning it for this reason. 

"Unfortunately a firmware update would not be feasible to support Atmos mutlichannel audio on older models due to the hardware requirements to process the signal. Additionally the STRDN1070 is a 7.1 surround system and would "throw away" the additional audio channels that the 11.2 channels that Atmos supports."

I see no reason why a firmware update can not be put out for the 1070 to add Atmos/DTS X, seeing as how the specs are basically the same as the 1080. This would be a good move on Sony's part to maintain a loyal fan base, rather than pushing us to buy a new receiver less than a year later.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 8 (2,463 Views)

Gullzway, they are obviously cheap now. They don't make them with the quality they used to like the ES models. I've been reading some articles about Sony laying off a lot of people and their stocks have dropped significantly. They are killing theirselves. As I already stated, all the other brands in this price range got atmos via firmware update. It's sad honestly as I've been a 25+ year Sony lover. R.I.P. Sony!
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 8 (2,460 Views)

Gullzway, they are obviously cheap now. They don't make them with the quality they used to like the ES models. I've been reading some articles about Sony laying off a lot of people and their stocks have dropped significantly. They are killing theirselves. As I already stated, all the other brands in this price range got atmos via firmware update. It's sad honestly as I've been a 25+ year Sony lover. R.I.P. Sony!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook