Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 5 (381 Views)
Accepted Solution

STR‑DH550 Not getting sound through the TV

[ Edited ]

Hello Everyone,

Rookie here. I have a question about my new STR‑DH550. I have everything set up and running perfect. My last receiver I had was a Denon that I was borrowing from a friend. That receiver allowed me to turn down the surround-sound and just have sound come through my TV. I recently bought a Sony STR‑DH550 and I can't seem to find that option.

Is it possible to have sound from the TV ONLY and not from my Bose 5.1 speakers when using this receiver? There are times when the surround-sound is a little distracting when watching plane cable TV.

One more thing to add which is differnt then the Denon...when I power on the TV (either by its remote or power button on TV) it also powers on the receiver. If i turn up the volume with my TV remote...it turns up the p[ower on the receiver. My previous Denon never did that. I'm wondering if that has something to do with not getting sound through my TV

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Expert
Message 2 of 5 (367 Views)

Re: STR‑DH550 Not getting sound through the TV

Knowing what equipment is attached to your receiver would be of help. Are you using HDMI and ARC or optical? Details help in giving better answers.

Denon and Sony are different so you shouldn't expect one to function like the other.

Having the TV turn on the receiver or control volume isn't a feature exclusive to Denon nor Sony. How the devices interact is more dependent on how you set them up and you haven't told us.

That being said, you're making it more complicated than it needs to be. If the reciever is on and you don't want it on, turn it off independently of the TV and surround is off. When you want it again, turn it on. How you do that seemlessly depends on what TV you have and how you have this set up. With many TVs, you can make that change with a quick, on screen menu. Or you could toggle the power and change sources with the receiver remote.
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 5 (340 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply Randon_V. You're right...I should have included more info with my orginal post.

My set up is pretty basic which is why I bought this Sony receiver. I have a Samsung LN52A650 52-Inch flat screen plugged into the Sony receiver using an HDMI cable. I also have my Comcast cable X1infinite box hooked to the receiver by way of an HDMI cable. Lastly, I'm using an HDMI cable to hook up a blueray player into the receiver.

Randon_V...I tried your idea of just turning on the receiver when I don't want the surround sound....great idea but that didn't work. I had no picture or sound when i turned off the receiver. I scrolled through the TV setting menues and turned off the receiver option but that essientailly did the same as powering the receiever manually and cut all picture and sound to the TV.

With this additional information, can anyone help me to get sound on through my TV while have the surround sound off??

I really appreciate the ideas Randon_V!

Matt

Expert
Message 4 of 5 (334 Views)

That's better but still don't know if you using the audio return channel and HDMI CEC.

Now, I don't know how turning the receiver off turns off the TV image unless you didn't turn on HDMI passthru and tv signal you speak of is coming from you Comcast set top box. If you are losing signal from your set top box, go into the settings and turn on passthru.

HDMI passthru allows the HDMI inputs on the receiver to send sigals out the receiver without it being turn on. You need that enabled.
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 5 (326 Views)

[ Edited ]

That was it Random_V!!!

Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate your help.

Being the total noob that i am, I'm not sure what you mean with your first couple questions/comments but your last idea I understood. I just "enabled" passthough in the receiver and now it works.

Your awesome Random!

BTW...I dig your avitar

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook