Welcome to the Community!

Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 6 (555 Views)

STR-DH550 USB-external HD starts with first folder - cant browse

So I hooked up my WD external Hard Drive to my AV receiver (STR-DH550) via USB. The HD contains approx. 200 folders. Each folder is named Artist name- Album name. It recognizes the HD and I am able to play songs. It starts with the first folder Alphabetically. I am able to select next song using the remote (>>). To get to the next folder (artist/album) i have to keep selecting next (>>) on remote to get thorough all songs in that folder and then it goes to next folder (alphabetically). What I am asking--is there anyway to browse through folders and choose a specific folder. Expampe - it starts with AC/DC then goes to Allman Brothers (first 2 folders) but I would like to go straight to Styx.

Rookie
Message 2 of 6 (553 Views)

Re: STR-DH550 USB-external HD starts with first folder - cant browse

I might add...using the remote, I can switch through the icons that are displayed Song/Artist/Disc but when I choose any one of those and try (>>)  or left right arrows on remote, it only changes to next track

Message 3 of 6 (505 Views)

Hi Okiesmith,

Have you tried using a USB flash drive?

If so, are you getting the same result?

Please let us know.

Thanks,

>Joffrey

Rookie
Message 4 of 6 (387 Views)

I have the same issue with a usb drive. I have folders named after artists with subfolders in each named after albums.

The player starts in the very first folder & I can only scroll to the next or previous track. It will go to the next folder when the last track in a folder is reached.

I'd like to view the directory tree & browse folders / files, but as the OP states, it doesn't appear to be possible. The OSD does not display actual filenames either, only the info from the ID3 tag imbedded in the .mp3. If there's no tag, there's no info on the OSD.

Surely there is a better way... I would not have purchased this model had I known, as .mp3 playback is the primary reason I got it.

Very frustrating!

Rookie
Message 5 of 6 (255 Views)

[ Edited ]

Did you guys find a way to navigate through the usb folders? I cant believe we need to change one by one.

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 6 of 6 (141 Views)

I asked esupport.  First response useless.  Second response tells me to telephone support.  After doing so, I am told that this "next-only" navigation is a "limitation" of the receiver.  Asked if there was going to be a fix, was told did not know and had no way to find out.  Instructed to mail request to Sony of America.  This is like selling a car that does in fact drive, but at a maximum of 1 mph.  Technically it is a car and does drive -- but it is of course completely useless and nobody would purchase such a car if the 1 mph "limitation" were known in advance.  As an engineer, I am ashamed that some engineer somewhere delivered such a useless product when of course it could easily have been designed properly.  P.S.:  was told that the receiver will support 256 folders of 256 tracks each.  If you wish to click "next track" 65,535 times!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook