Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Home Theater Products

Groovin'
chappcc
Accepted Solution

STR-DN1030 audio and video cut in and out intermittently

My STR-DN1030 is about 3 months old and in the last few days has started to loose video and audio on an intermittent basis. It cuts out for a short period of time and returns.  Sometimes it will "toggle" back and forth several times before A/V return.  This happens with either cable or BD/DVD player - which is all I have connected.  

Things I've done so far:

• reset the receiver
  • reset the remote
  • checked all HDMI cables (which is all I am using from the cable and BD/DVD player and to the TV (Samsung))
  • heat of the receiver is warm but not hot - the cabinet has reasonable ventillation

Any help would be appreciated before i consider RMA for this unit.

Please use plain text.
P47B

Re: STR-DN1030 audio and video cut in and out intermittently

[ Edited ]

This sounds like a low-cost HDMI cable issue. Cheaper HDMI cables can go bad over time and they have poor internal shielding, which makes them more susceptible to noise interference. So I'd check the cable routing to make sure that none of the cables are routed near noise sources (other cables, AC, etc.). However, I always use high quality high-speed HDMI cables to avoid these kinds of issues.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
chappcc

I am using Mediabridge high speed cables which I think are pretty good. I can try isolating them to see if one is faulty.
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
chappcc

I removed the HDMI cables and hooked up the component cables.  After about 20 minutes the A/V cut out - happened twice in about 10 minutes.  Looks like a receiver problem.

Please use plain text.
P47B

[ Edited ]

It could still be a bad cable/sat box. What sources did you check?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
chappcc

Sat/cable only. Will try the BD/DVD player.
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
rhrad

I started experiencing this same issue two days ago.   I have the following setup:

TiVO Premiere XL <---High-Speed HDMI (AmazonBasics brand)---> SAT/CATV input

Sony DVP-NS3100ES DVD player <---HDMI (some generic brand)---> BD/DVD input

Samsung UN40C6500 1080p HDTV <---High-Speed HDMI (GE UltraPro brand)---> TV output

Same Samsung TV as above <---Toslink (Belkin PureAV brand)---> TV optical input (TV is a 2010, no ARC)

We were watching a 1080i show from the TiVo box, and about half an hour in, the screen went "fuzzy" - picture was still visible, but was evenly scattered with black pixels.  After 15-20 seconds of "fuzzy" picture, the screen went black, and the receiver started making clicking input-switching noises.  The receiver's LCD display kept switching between "SAT/CATV" and the audio input type (don't remember exactly what it said offhand), and the TV kept resetting its aspect ratio with each click.  Occasionally, each click would bring a snippet of the TiVo audio, but the TV would display rainbow static (literally...every single pixel was lit up in either red, green, blue, or white) before going black and the audio cutting out again.

After this happened the first time, I tried turning the receiver off & immediately back on again, but the problem persisted.  I tried resetting the receiver (by turning it off, then pressing & holding the power button until the display showed "CLEARING", and then "CLEARED!"), but again, no dice.  I tried moving the TiVo's HDMI cable from the SAT/CATV input to VIDEO 1 and then VIDEO 2, but that didn't help the issue.  I then tried unplugging the TiVo altogether and switching to the DVD player, but that didn't help either.  Finally, I just turned the receiver off and went to bed.

The next morning, I turned the setup back on, and everything seemed fine.  But after about 20 minutes of watching TV, the issue started happening again.  However, when I unplugged the TV's HDMI cable from the TV output jack, the receiver stopped clicking and the TiVo's audio started coming through clearly & normally.  In order to see if the problem was the TV's HDMI cable, I swapped it with another cable I had laying around (another AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI cable), and the problem started again the second I plugged the new cable into the TV out jack.

My current workaround is to plug the TiVo directly into the TV, and get audio through the receiver via the Toslink cable.  However, I think my testing has confirmed my suspicion that the receiver's TV out HDMI controller board is most likely at the root of this issue.

Unless anyone has seen this before & knows of a fix that I can perform, I'm going to go ahead and contact Sony eService to get this thing fixed under warranty.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
chappcc

Resolution to my problem was the replacement of the motherboard and power supply in the TV.  The TV was also a Samsung - under warranty and replacement was not an issue.

Please use plain text.
P47B

This doesn't sound like a receiver issue to me either...

Can you do me a favor and try turning off HDMI control on the receiver and the TV? We've seen a few issues in the past with non-Sony TVs sending garbage down the I2C bus line. That could cause strange problems like random input switching.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
rhrad

I don't think my TV's motherboard and/or power supply have any issues, because I'm able to watch TV just fine by bypassing the receiver altogether.  With the TiVo plugged directly into the TV rather than into the receiver, I can watch the TiVo just fine.  I can also watch streaming content through the TV's built-in apps with no problems - I only seem to experience these issues when video content needs to be passed through the receiver.

I'm pretty sure I turned HDMI control off on both the TV and the receiver when I first set everything up (it was irritating me, I preferred to let my Harmony remote handle turning things on & off), but I'll doublecheck this when I get home and will report back.

Thanks to both of you for the quick & helpful suggestions!

Please use plain text.