Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 11 (1,326 Views)
Accepted Solution

STR-DN1040 Broken Home Menu - Yellow Boxes?

My receiver is having an issue.  Started about 2 weeks ago.  I've tried reboot and pulling hte power cable and can't get the issue to go away. 

Basically, when I hit the "Home" button, instead of getting the nice pictures of your 4-5 options, I get giant yellow bars with no text or pictures.  I try to navigate around the menu, you can still do it, the text is totally broken, the explanation descriptions that appear at the bottom are somewhat there sometimes or have enough characters in them to figure out what option you are on, but basically its totally unusable. 

Sometimes the menus seem to crash while trying to look thru them.  You can use the back/return button or home screen to get out of the menu, only option is to pull the power cord, then plug it back in again to get the menus to work again. 

Receiver Audio and Video inputs seem to work fine, but my menus are dead. 

Here are some sample pics of what I see:

https://imgur.com/a/KHP1C

Any help appreciated!

Expert
Message 2 of 11 (1,287 Views)

Re: STR-DN1040 Broken Home Menu - Yellow Boxes?

Did you upgrade the firmware on your TV or receiver about that time? Change TVs? Change any settings on the TV or receiver?

Did you try a factory default reset?
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 11 (1,281 Views)

I've changed the TV, but was pretty sure I reviewed the settings on the new tv. New TV is a Sony 55xbr900e.

Would like to wait on a factory reset as a last resort, but am scared to do so as I dont want to lose my settings without the ability to update them again.

I have not updated firmware in maybe 8 months. I did try to update firmware after the issue, but the menus seem to say I was on the latest, as it didn't kick off and take time to update as you would expect once I clicked on the confirm, or what I assumed was the confirm based on screen placement.
Expert
Message 4 of 11 (1,247 Views)

The reason I asked about the TV is it may be in a mode that the receiver does not support. For instance, the HDMI port on the TV where the receiver connects should not have the enhanced setting turned on. This an old receiver so it may not render the menus properly in that mode.

If you still have your old TV or a spare, plug it in and see if the menu items become readable again.

This very well could be a freak compatibility issue.
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 11 (1,223 Views)

Makes sense. I tried the old tv (older somy kdl) and another kdl i had and got the same results. Next I tried a brand new hdmi cable and same results as well.. Smiley Sad

What do you think should be the next thing to try?

Thanks again for your help!
Expert
Message 6 of 11 (1,203 Views)

Yeah, it makes sense until it all falls apart. You aren't using the STR-DN1040 on an enhanced HDMI port? I would make sure upscaling is turned off and try again. Then I would try a factory reset. Finally, I would get out a credit card and get a Yamaha, Denon, or Marantz receiver to replace it.

There may be a few things to check in between. I would start with turning off all the video features and running a straight passthru set up on the receiver.
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 11 (1,199 Views)

"Yeah, it makes sense until it all falls apart." - haha

"Finally, I would get out a credit card and get a Denon.." - x2 haha - My denon from same era working like a charm still.

I will check it out, but I think whatever ram chip holds that information decided to do the dip.  Doesn't make any sense.  All the inputs and audio still work, so I may just be menu less until it dies.  Will try tonight and see if I can figure anything out.

Expert
Message 8 of 11 (1,197 Views)

Also, I would try to reflash the latest firmware for giggles after trying the reset.
Enthusiast
Message 9 of 11 (1,166 Views)

Well that was a failure. I did the clearing hard reset, which didnt fix anything but only caused me to lose all my settings. Menus are so messed up I cant see enough to be able to reconnect wifi as im over 100ft from my router to connect it with a wire. Side note: i got close to setting wifi but when i get to put in a password i giant blue and pink box appear with nothing else. Looks like a unicorn threw up. Pretty fun bug I got.

So I used the front display to get settings back in so it doesnt sound horrible and is at least back to surround and levels balanced. I think what memory bank or chip is holding the menu info just got corrupted or something.

Seems like the only out for me at this point is with a credit card and an upgrade.

Thanks RandomV for your help, merry christmas.
Expert
Message 10 of 11 (1,054 Views)

Merry Christmas! Sorry about the receiver. That is a rather freak way to fail but Sony product today aren't just as good as days past.

I don't remember if Sony receivers allows a forced usb update of the same revision. Meaning it will allow you to overwrite the same revision. I would try the update via usb download as a last resort. Then, the credit card.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook