Welcome to the Community!

Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apprentice
Message 501 of 518 (2,258 Views)

Re: STR DN1040 HDMI HDCP issues

Glad to hear you found a solution for your problem. I have never had an issue when first turning all of my devices on. I use a Logitech Harmony Touch remote to power all of my devices on/off with the press of a button and that works flawlessly for the most part so long as I'm in range and have line of sight.

The only time I have an issue is when switching inputs/profiles while everything is powered on. So from DirecTV to Blu-ray or vice versa and from DirecTV to PS4 or vice versa. And that only happens a few times per week at most, but is an annoyance none the less because I have to power down my projector and let it cool down for a bit before I can power it back on.

I just don't want to upgrade anything until 4K is the norm and comes down in price. Then I can upgrade everything in my chain to be 4K compatible.

But it will be a couple years before this happens, so I guess I'm just going to have to live with it. It doesn't look like Sony cares and is working on a firmware update to address the issue. But it could be hardware related so who knows.

Apprentice
Message 502 of 518 (2,177 Views)

Hey,

What type of Cable/SAT TV provider do you have?

I'm using DirecTV (Genie DVR) and there's a video setting set to Native that I turned off. Since making that change the other day, I haven't had the issue I was experiencing before. I'm going to continue testing this over the next couple weeks and I'll report back my findings, but so far this seems to have resolved my issue.

What prompted this discovery was I noticed that while switching between my BDP & PS4 (something I rarely do), I had no issues whatsoever, no matter how fast I switched inputs or how many consecutive times I switched inputs between those two sources. But when I add the input switching for my DirecTV Genie DVR into the mix, then I get problems. This is what led me to believe that the problem didn't lie with my projector or AVR, but with my DirecTV Genie DVR. After doing some online research, this is a known issue with many AVRs and TV set top boxes (not isolated to Sony & DirecTV). This makes sense, since a lot of manufacturers source the same components for their similar competing products.

If you have another type of Cable/SAT set top box, dig around in the video settings (there shouldn't be many) and try to find a similar setting to "Native" and disable it and see if that helps. You may have to do some online searching or call your service provider for assistance.

I also only have my DirecTV Genie DVR set to ouput 1080i & 1080p (there's resolution check boxes).

I hope this helps and I'll report back after a couple weeks of testing.

Apprentice
Message 503 of 518 (1,920 Views)

Ok, after some further testing, just switching that setting to Native in my DirecTV Genie was not the fix. And this setting actually played no role in my issue.

What has resolved my issue was by turning off 4K scaling in my Sony AVR & Oppo BDP and just letting my JVC projector handle 4K scaling. Another key setting that I had to be sure to turn off on each piece of gear was HDMI-CEC. Only after disabling CEC on all of my devices AND disabling 4K scaling on all of my devices (except on my projector) has my issue been totally rectified.

Please note that each manufacturer has it's own branding for CEC, but this can be figured out by doing some online searching.

I hope all of this research and testing can help others as it has been a major pain in the you know what for me. But I'm finally able to enjoy trouble free HDMI switching and resolution changes.

Cheers,

Casey

Rookie
Message 504 of 518 (1,527 Views)

I am having the similar problems with my str-dn1040. I have had it for about 10 months. It worked great

for the first 8 1/2. Then it started dropping sound from any of the inputs connected through hdmi.  First couple of times I thought it was a fluke. Since the sound came right back.  The receiver just made a clicking sound and everything was fine.  Then about a week later the sound cut out again but this time did not come back.  I tried power cycling the receiver but that did not fix the problem.  I switched to tuner and sound was there but when switching back to any hdmi inputs sound was not there.  I connected hdmi cable directly to tv and sound worked fine through cable to tv.  Reconnected system to original configuration and still no sound.  Swapped hdmi cable and still nothing. Verified all settings in receiver and checked for software updates.  All were good. I turned receiver off and left it off for about 30 min.  Came back and turned it on. And everything work great again.  Or at least I thought.  In about another week it did the same thing.i contacted Sony chat support.  They told me to hold power button down for 5 seconds.  I explained to the chat guy that the problem was intermittent and it would come and go but was happening more frequently.  So I held button to reset to all default settings. The problem did not go away. Still continues to lose sound intermittently.  My cable management is great. I am using quality cables. I do not have my hdmi cable on or near my power cables. I am not enducing any EMF or inductance on the cables. I am sure red /black separation TEMPEST requirements is not required.  Although I do have at least 3 inches from the power cables and the hdmi cables. Now the problem has progress to dropping video as well as sound. So I contacted Sony chat again. They told me the same things they told me before. After explaining the situation twice they told me to contact Sony repair department.  Which I did and they were closed.  So to kill time I figured I would look to see if others had the same problem and to my surprise there are many people having this problem and it sounds like Sony is blaming everything other than the receiver. I continued to search online about the issue and found that it seems to be an intermittent problem that does not effect every reciever. Mine worked great for a while then it went bad.  As an electrical engineer I understand that ICs and other digital components may make it well past their burn in then fail or live forever,or at least past the updating of the technology. So I hope when I contact Sony repair I don't have to jump through hoops to get this problem taken care off.

Enthusiast
Message 505 of 518 (1,510 Views)

I just went through the same scenario with my 10-month old STR-DN1050 although mine was intermittent initially like yours, but  then failed completely. 

I researched the issue and did all of the recommended solutions including replacing cables but they did not work. I then called Sony where I honestly spent about two hours on the phone with them going through all of the steps again before they consented to returning my STR-DN1050 for warranty repair. It helps to have a lot of patience,

I sent it to United Radio as directed where it took about 18 days. They had to order a new "PC Board" and my receiver is now fixed. I only have it back for a little over a week now, but I seem to be having "handshake" issues that I never had before. The receiver works fine for several days and then I have no output to my TV. I have to then disconnect and reconnect everything. 

This is not how a receiver should work. I am still trying to pinpoint what is going on with this before I call Sony again.

BTW, this is my second receiver. My first failed in two days. I sent it back to Amazon for my current replacement. I love how this receiver sounds, but I do not know if I would get another Sony receiver.

Enthusiast
Message 506 of 518 (1,288 Views)

[ Edited ]

Wow...really suprised to see so many people with the EXACT same issue.  Sounds like a hardware and/or software issue with this receiver.  I have had mine less than 12 months and I am having the same issue all of the sudden.  Sounds drops out and all of the sudden no sound until you pull the plug on the unit.

Before coming here, I tried many of the typical solutions (not my first rodeo).  Replaced HDMI, isolated cables and I definitely narrowed it down to the unit.  I have to other AVRs (Onkyo and Harman/Kardon) and basically swapped them out with this unit.  The problem completly goes away.  No issues at all.

As soon as I reconnect the Sony?  It comes right back.  Very disapointed.  This will probalby make me want to stay away from Sony AVRs in the future.  I guess I will have to call and see what I can do about a repair/replacement.

Enthusiast
Message 507 of 518 (1,008 Views)

I am also experiencing the exact same issues listed from other customers, and have also completed all of the troubleshooting steps (no need to rehash). The issue really comes down to the unit. I really like the product, but there is a definite defect. I took the unit to Best Buy, they are in the process of sending it to their service center in New York. I hope it gets resolved on the first run, if not I will be fighting for a refund or store credit to purchase another manufacturer's product, even though I have owned the product for almost two years. I should have status in two weeks.

Enthusiast
Message 508 of 518 (999 Views)

Good luck. Best Buy service center returned mine and said they could fine nothing wrong with the unit. They suggested I check my other equipment and replace my cables. That was after my service request being noted that I checked all of my equipment, isolated cables, did an equipment swap to rule out anything but the receiver and even pointed to this thread. They completed ignored all of that. I ended up talking to a manager. They replaced the receiver with a Denon with Dolby Atmos and I couldn't be happier. Not only does it sound better but no issues at all. Good riddance. I will never buy another Sony Receiver again.
Enthusiast
Message 509 of 518 (994 Views)

Thanks for setting expectations. 

Apprentice
Message 510 of 518 (759 Views)

[ Edited ]

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook