Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 70 (4,605 Views)

STR-DN1050 and Music Center

I just received notice that with the next update, Music Center will no longer support my STR-DN1050 A/V receiver.  First, I find this to be terrible customer service --- planned obsolesence of my device.  Second, the notice said you could prevent the next update by turning off automatic updates.  But I can't find any setting to turn off automatic updates.  If in fact Music Center will no longer work with my unit, then I will replace it with a NON-SONY product that works.

Apprentice
Message 2 of 70 (4,563 Views)

Re: STR-DN1050 and Music Center

My additional comment:

Even if you manage to prevent the update of MusicCenter, by using a new smartphone or tablet you cant use MuicCenter in future!

Thats really planned obsolescence!!!

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 70 (4,530 Views)

Hi,

I can't believe that a product that is only tree years old can be not supported for a longer time.

I can say that this product was really good, I only use it for it's internet functionnality, listening Web radios, nas music...without application, it Will be completly different, not usable( I have no screen for browsing)

At least, give us ability to download this app with and other name, or give us code source we can support theses product with an open community.

This type of system must be usable for more than 10 years!!!

Feeling that Sony wasn't a good choise!!!

Really disapointed
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 70 (4,528 Views)

What hifi reviens: Product of the Year, Awards 2014. A seriously good amp that balances muscle and subtlety with stacks of features at a great price. Sony raises the bar once again
Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/sony/str-dn1050/review#F6g2RlgIQ0zzTKQH.99

3 years later, Sony choose to stop support...what's wrong?
Apprentice
Message 5 of 70 (4,391 Views)

Its indeed no old device. I bought it in June 2017. Its still being sold (e.g. Amazon.com, Amazon.de).

You will find App Control in the current product descripions.

Unfair competition?

Its a Sony - never again!

Rookie
Message 6 of 70 (4,261 Views)

Totally shocking support from Sony.
Never buy again
No wonder other device manufacturers are kicking your ******.
Apprentice
Message 7 of 70 (4,233 Views)

[ Edited ]

There seems to be no reaction by Sony, i.e. ignoring all customers opinions.

App Control is not a gimmick but a feature defined in the current Sony product fescripion (I made a copy) which Sony has to deliver and to support (at least within warranty period).

If there is no positive response from Sony within two weeks, I`ll inform the consumer protection organizations (Germany) to assist me and make it public.

Apprentice
Message 8 of 70 (4,184 Views)

In the US, we could contact whatever Govt. agency deals with consumer issues.  However, it might be more effective if we could find a law firm interested in pursuing a class action lawsuit.  In my experience, the law firms are the financial benificaries, consumers typically don't get a lot of monetary compensation, but companies can be persuaded to cease and desist the behavior that brought the lawsuit.

Rookie
Message 9 of 70 (4,032 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am a lawyer and handle class actions. I also have a STR-DN1050 that has been rendered useless by the latest app update. Shoot me an email at mal****@******lawfirm.com if you'd like to discuss filing suit.

Message 10 of 70 (3,979 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Futmb03l,

Welcome to the SONY Community!

We apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused you. We would like to hear more from you. Kindly send me a private message and provide a brief description of the issue you have with the receiver so we can assist you. Please include the following:

• Model and Serial Number
  • Software version
  • Date of Purchase
  • Store/Dealer name
  • Name and Contact details

We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
-Erin

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook