Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 61 of 75 (510 Views)

Re: STR-DN1050 and Music Center

Bob:

The Sony announcement was a joke, giving users very little lead time to understand the implications, and no instructions on how to block the update or how to continue using the receiver. I was successful in stopping the update on my iPad since I do authorize them manually, but not on my iPhone. Now I'm wondering if I need to block future updates on the reciever itself too? Sony is not telling me how these might interact, and whether updating to a new receiver version might impact the way I can use this receiver. The same goes for whether it is safe to update to a new version of iTunes.

I'm tired of the refrain from Sony reps on this discussion list to "refer to your model's instruction manual for more information," since it still refers to instructions only for the app for certain features. At the very least, Sony has the obligation to assist existing customers with new instructions on how to use this receiver and features without controlling it through the app. The dial on the receiver itself has very limited options, and like others have said you need a TV screen to get to the full menu.  

I frequently use my 1050 receiver to play music through iTunes on my PC since I've been gradually ripping my collection of over 3,000 CD's. The 1050 manual instructions for AirPlay (p. 114) are only for the app.  I can still go through iTunes (but only on my PC) to select the receiver and play my ripped CD's from my networked computer (although for how long??). It allows me to select the receiver and thus the soundbar to play music through it instead of the poor HP speakers. When I select this option, it unfortunately overides any current program I'm watching and displays AirPlay on the TV screen.  Unless Sony can give me some hints on getting around this, I can no longer be watching the TV in my family room, while my zone 2 in the kitchen is playing music. I am single so it's not as much of a problem for me and I'll just have to pick one or the other, but I can see families with multiple zones being extremely unhappy with this problem.

I spent over $4,000 upgrading my home entertaiment system in December 2015, including the 1050 receiver and a Sony XBR55X85 TV. This situtation certainly makes me question whether I'll buy another Sony product, despite 30 year plus of past purchases.  Fortunately I already have Sonos speakers, so I can still listen to TunedIn radio, but I can understand why so many other users are extremely upset about discontinuing support of the app and have sworn never to buy another Sony product.  It's very poor customer service on a receiver that was just introduced in 2014!

Like others have suggested, the easiest solution for Sony to satisfy their current customers, would be to make the earlier version of the app available once again through the Apple Store or Google Play. I think most of us can live with the app not being updated, as long as we know which equipment/software versions must not be updated in order to keep our systems working.

Thank you for listening, and I hope you can answer some questions and impress on Sony the need to reconsider this decision. 

Enthusiast
Message 62 of 75 (510 Views)

Bob:

The Sony announcement was a joke, giving users very little lead time to understand the implications, and no instructions on how to block the update or how to continue using the receiver. I was successful in stopping the update on my iPad since I do authorize them manually, but not on my iPhone. Now I'm wondering if I need to block future updates on the reciever itself too? Sony is not telling me how these might interact, and whether updating to a new receiver version might impact the way I can use this receiver. The same goes for whether it is safe to update to a new version of iTunes.

I'm tired of the refrain from Sony reps on this discussion list to "refer to your model's instruction manual for more information," since it still refers to instructions only for the app for certain features. At the very least, Sony has the obligation to assist existing customers with new instructions on how to use this receiver and features without controlling it through the app. The dial on the receiver itself has very limited options, and like others have said you need a TV screen to get to the full menu.  

I frequently use my 1050 receiver to play music through iTunes on my PC since I've been gradually ripping my collection of over 3,000 CD's. The 1050 manual instructions for AirPlay (p. 114) are only for the app.  I can still go through iTunes (but only on my PC) to select the receiver and play my ripped CD's from my networked computer (although for how long??). It allows me to select the receiver and thus the soundbar to play music through it instead of the poor HP speakers. When I select this option, it unfortunately overides any current program I'm watching and displays AirPlay on the TV screen. I have two zones set up in my house, and I'm not sure there is any way now to watch the TV in my family room, while my zone 2 in the kitchen is playing music. Unless Sony can give me some hints on getting around this, I will only be able to listen to the same input in both zones. I am single so it's not as much of a problem for me and I'll just have to pick one or the other, but I can see families with multiple zones being extremely unhappy with this problem.

I spent over $4,000 upgrading my home entertaiment system in December 2015, including the 1050 receiver and a Sony XBR55X85 TV. This situtation certainly makes me question whether I'll buy another Sony product, despite 30 year plus of past purchases.  Fortunately I already have Sonos speakers, so I can still listen to TunedIn radio, but I can understand why so many other users are extremely upset about discontinuing support of the app (and losing internet radio, etc.) and have sworn never to buy another Sony product.  It's very poor customer service on a receiver that was just introduced in 2014!

Like others have suggested, the easiest solution for Sony to satisfy their current customers, would be to make the earlier version of the app available once again through the Apple Store or Google Play. I think most of us can live with the app not being updated, as long as we know which equipment/software versions must not be updated in order to keep our systems working.

Thank you for listening, and I hope you can answer some questions and impress on Sony the need to reconsider this decision. 

Enthusiast
Message 63 of 75 (510 Views)

Bob:

I'm tired of the refrain from Sony reps on this discussion list to "refer to your model's instruction manual for more information," since it still refers to instructions only for the app for certain features. At the very least, Sony has the obligation to assist existing customers with new instructions on how to use this receiver and all of the features previously controlled through the app. The dial on the receiver itself has very limited options, and like others have said you need a TV screen to get to the full menu.  

I frequently use my 1050 receiver to play music through iTunes on my PC since I've been gradually ripping my collection of over 3,000 CD's. The 1050 manual instructions for AirPlay (p. 114) are only for the app.  I can still go through iTunes (but only on my PC) to select the receiver and play my ripped CD's from my networked computer (although for how long??). It allows me to select the receiver and thus the soundbar to play music through it instead of the poor HP speakers. When I select this option, it unfortunately overides any current program I'm watching and displays AirPlay on the TV screen. I have two zones set up in my house, and I'm not sure there is any way now to watch the TV in my family room, while my zone 2 in the kitchen is playing music. Unless Sony can give me some hints on getting around this, I will only be able to listen to the same input in both zones. I am single so it's not as much of a problem for me and I'll just have to pick one or the other, but I can see families with multiple zones being extremely unhappy with this problem.

I spent over $4,000 upgrading my home entertaiment system in December 2015, including the 1050 receiver and a Sony XBR55X85 TV. This situtation certainly makes me question whether I'll buy another Sony product, despite 30 year plus of past purchases.  Fortunately I already have Sonos speakers, so I can still listen to TunedIn radio, but I can understand why so many other users are extremely upset about discontinuing support of the app and have sworn never to buy another Sony product.  It's very poor customer service on a receiver that was just introduced in 2014!

Enthusiast
Message 64 of 75 (522 Views)

[ Edited ]

social attack that hurts their bottom line is all they understand. Leave reviews on amazon, App Store, b&h under all their receivers. 

Enthusiast
Message 65 of 75 (480 Views)

I am going to go as far as actually disagreeing with some of my colleagues about the multiple suggestions to bring the old app back to the iTunes Store even this is an extremely short lived solution as we all know that with subsequent iOS updates, apps need to be frequently updated as well. Even now although I did not update my app on one of the three devices, I'm not sure it will work once I update my phone to iOS 11. I do not believe we are asking for too much when we say bring the old app back and continue to support our receiver through a minimal programming updates as iOS changes. You have sold thousands of these receivers netting millions and millions of dollars. Spending a couple thousand dollars to keep the app alive for us is plain and simple " decent thing to do and a good customer care".
Enthusiast
Message 66 of 75 (343 Views)

Sorry all about the multiple posts. Thought I was doing preview/edit and not sure why the earlier versions posted. Read the 10:44 draft for the final version I intended to post, which should have been addressed to Ron.
Enthusiast
Message 67 of 75 (330 Views)

I would like to know the reason of the end of support, we talk of network protocols on a product that support firware update, why not to update the amplifier to make it support new application? Please Sony, listen to us!
#neversonyagain
Apprentice
Message 68 of 75 (286 Views)

Is there some suspicious forum editing/deletions going on here now? I refreshed a page and got the message "The message you are trying to access is permanently deleted." and I want to know what that message had said and whether the poster removed it or if it was Sony. Thanks!
Apprentice
Message 69 of 75 (277 Views)

[ Edited ]

Have the same impression - I think some posts are missing. Are you Sony as bold as that?

Apprentice
Message 70 of 75 (219 Views)

I don't think so. Two reasons:1) a post from someone a few days ago was followed by a post from him saying he had posted several times in error, thinking he was editing it. Those duplicate posts are now gone. So either he deleted them or the Sony moderator did in response to the poster's request. Second, I made a comment several weeks ago when I suggested a user contact me about a way to restore the older version of the app after his had already been updated. I got a private email warning me against making a solicitation on the forum. I didn't see it as a solicitation since I was just offering a suggestion of help ( free help). But I guess Sony doesn't want its users helping one another. But my point is, despite the warning, they didn't remove or edit my comment. They have edited one post in this thread early on in which a user included his email.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook