Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 8 (333 Views)

STR-DN1080 - Very High Standby Power Consumption

This is a strange request:

Has anyone out there measured the standby consumption of the STR-DN1080?

The manual states standby consumption in the <2.5 W range (worst case).  I went through an turned off zone 2, network standby etc etc but no change.  

My kill-a-watt meter is measuring 28-29 W.

28 W is a violation of a bunch of energy efficiency regulations and is going to cost me $40 a year.  It also busts my idea of using a smart power strip to turn on and off the multi-channel amp for whoel house audio.

STR-DN1080 Standby Power

Expert
Message 2 of 8 (302 Views)

Re: STR-DN1080 - Very High Standby Power Consumption

Had the same problem with the STR-DN1070 and measured the same amount of power consumption as you did.

The measurement you made was accurate but you measured too soon. Turn the receiver off and you'll here the click of a relay. Wait at the receiver for a minute or so later after turning off and you'll hear a faint 2nd click. Then measure standby power. It should be in spec from that point onward.
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 8 (269 Views)

Have you checked your HDMI pass through setting? This must be off to avoid running at ~30 W all the time.
Rookie
Message 4 of 8 (257 Views)

I have the same problem.

44W in standby mode and the Power indicator remain Amber. 

According to the Manual the power indicator need to go off with the proper setting:

Green: The receiver is turned on.

Amber: The receiver is in standby mode, and you have set one of the following:  [Control for HDMI], [Remote Start]*, [Bluetooth

Standby], or [Network Standby]* is set to [On].  [Standby Through] is set to [On] or [Auto].  [Zone2 Power] or [HDMI Zone Power] is set to [On].

The indicator goes off: The receiver is in standby mode and all of the following settings are set to [Off]:  [Control for HDMI]  [Standby Through]  [Remote Start]*  [Bluetooth Standby]  [Network Standby]*  [Zone2 Power] and [HDMI Zone Power]

I disable everything but power is 44W and the Power indicator remain Amber. 

Expert
Message 5 of 8 (227 Views)

Passthru should only consume power when the TV is on. If the receiver and TV are off, after a initial period, the power should drop to the specified levels.
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 8 (171 Views)

Stays at 29 W

Expert
Message 7 of 8 (146 Views)

And it will stay there unless the TV and all the other HDMI components are turned off. It partially powers up to handles pass thru if asked.

If you have a Sony TV, they tend to keep alot of activities going in the standby (off) state and may never power down enough to let the receiver to power down if you give them unfettered acess to the internet.
Expert
Message 8 of 8 (145 Views)

If it isn't powering down, you should call Sony support and explain the issue to them directly.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook