Welcome to the Community!

Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9 (1,026 Views)

STRDN1080 Sibilance Issue

To upgrade to a 4k Television I recently purchased a Sony STRDN1080 AV reciever, largely based on a couple of great online reviews. I'm running it through Tannoy Revolution R3 floor speakers, a Tannoy Mxc center speaker, and Paradigm Micro rear surround speakers, but I've noticed a lot of sibilance (ie hissing of s'es and t's) in TV broadcasts, particularly through the center speaker. This wasn't a problem with my previous Marantz reciever, and I'm just wondering if there is a cure for it.

One thought I had was that the STRDN1080 at 165 watts per channel was too powerful for the speakers - the centre speaker is 150ws and the front speakers are alledegedly either 170 watts or 200 watts, depending on whether you read the manual or the brochure. It doesn't happen on all programs, mostly free-to-air - news, sports, chat shows etc. Doesn't seem to be as big a problem on movies etc.

I've done an auto calibration, but turned the 'sound field' off because the recommended 'engineer' setting made everything sound very tinny. Any suggestions?

Expert
Message 2 of 9 (971 Views)

Re: STRDN1080 Sibilance Issue

Doubt it has anything to do with the power output. In normal listening levels, your speakers aren't drawing more than 15-60 watts per channel regardless of the receiver peak power output. You are using no more power at a specific sound pressure level as you were on the Marantz with the same speakers. Proper calibration and set up should yield similarly acceptable results. You would have to drive your speakers at max volume to see peak power and nobody really does that in a typical setting. Furthermore, peak power output is a number creatively crafted differently by manufacturers to tell a positive story but isn't standard employed. Some are using 6 ohms impedence, some 8 ohms. If the number is derived differently from manufacturer to manufacturer, it has less value to use as a standard.

My first guess is there was something wrong with your calibration. Secondly, I would guess the crossover frequency you are using isn't matched to your speakers. Third guess is maybe you need to adjust you subwoofer volume and recalibrate.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 9 (946 Views)

Thanks very much for that! I've done the auto-calibration numerous times, it doesn't seem to make much difference. Can you please tell me how to match the crossover frequency to my speakers? Also, I don't actually have a sub-woofer. I live in an old apartment with fairly thin walls/floors and when I bought the speakers the guy told me that the front floor speakers should do the job of the sub-woofer, but maybe I should get one?

Expert
Message 4 of 9 (881 Views)

You don't set a crossover with no sub. Just because you ran the calibration several times doesn't mean it was done well or poorly.

Calibration tips:
1) Make sure the mic is not being blocked by the back of the couch.
2) Make sure you sitting position is a few feet away from the rear wall.
3) Silence.
4) Mic is flat and level

I don't know if your calibration is at fault. I just know it shouldn't have anything to do with peak receiver output. I drove 8 ohm speakers rated at 100W with a 165W rated STR-DN1070 without the problem you describe. It just isn't a factor in a practical sense. The speakers will be good until you exceed the power rating and then they won't be good anymore. That happens at a volume level a rational person would never drive them at in an apartment. Once you blow the speaker, you know it's done.

What is broken is hard to determine at this distance. I would try to EQ the center channel separately to see if I could trim it away.
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 9 (861 Views)

Here's a thought...maybe your center is blown?
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 9 (830 Views)

Don't think so. Don't get the problem with the Marantz. And it's not on everything. I'm beginning to think it's me, or my expectations. Maybe the Marantz was a bit flatter or duller than the Sony?
Expert
Message 7 of 9 (822 Views)

I'm not sure it's you. I think what you are seeing is probably real. Having experience with 2 different Marantz units and two Sony units, they do EQ differently in the same room using the same sets of speakers. To get the same sound with the same speakers required post calibration tweaks.
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 9 (819 Views)

There doesn't seem to be enough control on the Sony's EQ. It's really only treble or bass. You can't for example just take the very top end down. I've actually noticed that on programs broadcast in stereo - ie coming through the front surround speakers, I get the same sibilance problem, which means I'd have to EQ the front surround speakers as well.

Expert
Message 9 of 9 (814 Views)

Yes, your options are limited on the STR-DN1080

http://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn108/v1/en/contents/TP0001221277.html

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook