Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Home Theater Products

Groovin'
USER-934589

Since I got my STR-DN1040 receiver, there have been two software updates to it. What's it for?

I have received two software updates and let it download and install. The latest update I just installed today is version s9327.1032.0. There is no listed updates on the Sony support downloads site for this receiver.

Can someone at Sony please let us know what these updates fixed, changed, enhanced, added,  or deleted?

Also why doesn't this receiver display the volume level overlayed on the TV screen when watching movies?

If the receiver is tucked away out of site, then there is no way to see what the volune setting is while adjusting during watching a movie or tv show.

Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
KishanM5

Re: Since I got my STR-DN1040 receiver, there have been two software updates to it. What's it for?

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Software updates normally contain bug fixes, performance enhancements, and new features.  The specifics are not yet available but should be posted on our e-support website shortly.

Although the receiver itself does not overlay the volume level indicator, it is still possible if you have a television that is capable of HDMI CONTROL. Once you have set the television to use audio system / external speakers you will be able to control the receiver's volume using the tv's remote control and volume level indicator is displayed on screen.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
Mikro

Re: Since I got my STR-DN1040 receiver, there have been two software updates to it. What's it for?

I was wondering this too. What's in these updates I had one right out of the box as soon as network configured It updated

Posted By Mikro Proud New Sony Home Theater Owner
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
djc11369

[ Edited ]

I've read from users on the AVS forum that the DH740 and DN840 both have the volume overlay feature.  Is it really the case that the DN1040 doesn't have this feature but the lower models do?  It makes me question if it's a defect with this model or can/will be corrected with a firmware update.

Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
KishanM5

[ Edited ]

Hello,

The lack of volume overlay is not a defect, the lower models (840/740) simply utilize a different GUI/OSD which can overlay the Volume level indicator as it can the system menu due to the way it's implemented. The 1040 uses a more modern intuitive graphical interface & menu system which cannot be overlayed ontop of the video coming from your source because it has to stop the video stream to insert the OSD, where the others "mix" the osd and overlay it ontop of the stream.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
lohphat

I have fouund yet another bug:

With the audio set to pass through audio to TV+AMP no sound is passed to the TV from any built-in streaming apps.  Audio is passed through from the various HDMI inputs but Pandora, for example, doesn't.

I don't have my surround speakers setup yet and my ouly speakers are in the flat-panel via HDMI.

Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
KishanM5

[ Edited ]

Hello lohphat,

That is not a bug, the receiver can "Pass" audio signals originating from any of your sources to your tv; The purpose of this feature is so the receiver does not have to be on all the time.

It  cannot however  "Insert" audio originating from its own internal sources into the HDMI stream as it was designed to switch / pass HDMI signals from your sources.  It is also expected that if the receiver is powered on and you are accessing the internal content (Pandora) you will be using the connected Speakers. Your situation is unique and is not the way this receiver or any receiver for that matter was designed or intended to be used. 

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
cgh1

In other words, it's what we consumers call "a design flaw" to not overlay the volume (etc.) on the OSD.  This new "intuitive and modern" interface requires the use of multiple remote controls in order to use the system as desired.  Thus making life harder, not easier. 

This combined with the half-hearted attempt at network control using multiple apps creates a very disjointed and less than desirable remote/controlling strategy for the user.  As a new owner, I must say I find this part of this otherwise good performer quite disappointing.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
stevewtw

Not true I'm afraid as the 1050 does have a volume overlayed (even when not in the menu). In fact, there is also an option to switch off in the system menu. As the 1050 appears to have the same OSD system as the 1040, I imagine they would be able to switch it on using a firmware update. 

Please use plain text.