Welcome to the Community!

Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 4 (413 Views)

Sony AV receiver with no display and won't stay powered on

I recently was playing my Sony AV receiver at a high volume and it shut off on its own, it now will turn on with no display and will shut off on its own after a few seconds. Receiver is only a couple years old, any thoughts without sending in for repair? Thanks!
Expert
Message 2 of 4 (373 Views)

Re: Sony AV receiver with no display and won't stay powered on

Don't have too many thoughts since you haven't told us what receiver we are talking about. It helps if you're more specific about the issues.

What receiver?
Impedance of speakers?
How high was the volume?
If you turn the volume down, will the receiver stay up?
Have you checked the speakers to make sure they weren't shorted out?
Does disconnecting the speakers result in the receiver remaining powered up?
How much space is there above, behind, and at the sides of the receiver?
Is the receiver in an enclosed cabinet?

Disconnect all speakers at the receiver and see if the unit will fully power up. If so, get a multimeter and check the resistance between each positive and negative set of speaker wires. If you don't have a multimeter, add a speaker one at a time until you find a problematic one.

Really, there's not much to add unless you provide more information.
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 4 (306 Views)

I apologize for the lack of info but the model number is STR-DN840
I had the receiver about 3/4 way up of max volume jamming to music when it shut down
There is currently no speakers connected and it still powers off after about 5 seconds of being on and does not show anything on display what so ever (just remains black)
The receiver was not in a cabinet as it was on a shelf by its self in my living room when this occurred
Thanks

Expert
Message 4 of 4 (272 Views)

Well, your receiver is probably toast. You can try basic things like leaving it unplugged for a while and seeing if things recover. Being that the receiver shuts down so soon, I don't know if you have enough time to do a system reset in the time it is up. I doubt its worth fixing. You probably should replace it with a new receiver if unplugging it doesn't work. I'd try something different.

What speakers were you trying to drive? Where they low impedance speakers?

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook