Welcome to the Community!

Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 19 (720 Views)

Sony HT-Xt1 intermittent picture drop-out via HDMI

I am experiencing random picture and sound drop outs while watching my Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR4 TV via my Sony Ht-XT1 soundbar.

The screen will go black occassionally (with audio drop outs) while watching TV. I have an Apple TV 4th Gen, LG Blu-Ray player and Motorola PVR connected to it via HDMI. When playing music via Bluetooth, there are no issues. I have tried turning off HDMI control on the TV and soundbar and it doesn't seem to help. I've tried changing the HDMI cable to no avail, although I used an older cable that I had lying around. I thought maybe the devices were overheating, but I've put fans on the devices---it didn't change anything.

Any ideas what the issue could possibly be?

Expert
Message 2 of 19 (656 Views)

Re: Sony HT-Xt1 intermittent picture drop-out via HDMI

Potential problems include bad HDMI cables (not spec'd to the current signal), HDMI handshaking issues, or trying to run an unspported signal through the sound bar. Since you haven't specified when you are having drop outs, that's the best starting point I could offer.
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 19 (522 Views)

There's no rhyme or reason to the drop outs. It just happens occassionally when I'm watching something through the soundbar. It happens with my connected Apple TV and cable box, and I've tried different HDMI inputs on the TV. It still does it. I guess I could try a new cable, but I've already swapped the cable with a spare at home and it didn't help. Turning of HDMI Control didn't seem to help, either.

Expert
Message 4 of 19 (513 Views)

Let's try to be methodical and specific. Your HDMI cable is what brand, is it high speed, and when did you buy it? Is HDMI CEC turned on or off? What model LG BD player, cable box, and DVR is connected? Are there still drop outs once you disconnect the Apple TV and DVR? What was being displayed when the black outs occur (streaming content, the GUI, etc.) Did you try running only one device at a time connected to the soundbar and TV to try to identify the offending unit(s). What output settings are you using on the Apple TV's output? I will assume it's outputting a 1080p 30fps or 60 fps signal? The TV doesn't support much else above that. If you disconnect these devices from the soundbar and run them connected directly to the TV, do you still get blackouts?

I can tell you there is a reason this is happening although it doesn't make sense to you. If you trying to pass a HDCP 2.2 signal thru your soundbar, black outs would be what you may get. It isn't compliant so that is likely your problem.

Try to use a troubleshooting approach. Isolated the devices which do and do not cause drop outs with the soundbar (one at a time). For the items that do cause drop outs, see if they remain problematic when connected directly to the TV. Stuff like that would be helpful to isolate the cause and suggest solutions.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 19 (408 Views)

I'm using high speed HDMI cables from Monoprice. HDMI CEC is currently turned on, on the soundbar and the TV set---I've tried turning it off, and I still get the black screens. Al devices are outputting 1080p 60fps except the Blu-Ray, which outputs 1080p 24 fps for Blu-Ray content. It occurs when streaming, watching cable TV and physical media.

I've had each device attached directly to the TV (no sound bar) with no drop outs or issues. The issue is somewhere between the soundbar and the TV. I'm pretty sure none of these devices are trying to pass an HDCP 2.2 signal. I had the soundbar hooked up to a different TV for a while, and did not have any issues, but that was before we moved. I moved the soundbar myself in the car, so I'm pretty sure it didn't get broken in the move.

On Friday, I bought a Rocketfish HDMI cable (18 gbps) and connected the soundbar to the TV with that instead. I didn't have a single drop out for three or four days, but it started happening again yesterday. It's baffling!

Expert
Message 6 of 19 (375 Views)

"It occurs when streaming, watching cable TV and physical media"

Stream from what? The BD player? Apple TV? Both?

Did you disconnect the components and run everything one at a time like I suggested? I suggested this because one HDMI device can cause all the others to malfuction. Until you start attempting isolate the performance of each device, there's not much I can add.

I had a DVR that did not support CEC that cause all other devices (TV, BD player, reciever) with CEC to malfunction. The receiver switching between sources was impeded. Signals from components were not being seen. I thought the reciever was defective until I took a organized, methodical approach to isolate each device. I found it was the DVR at fault. Further testing told me it was happening at the CEC pin on the DVR. I modified a HDMI cable to take the CEC wire out of the connection and the problem was gone. I notified the DVR manufacturer of the problem and they found it was a firmware correctable problem. If I just assumed the receiver was at fault, I would've bought something I didn't need and still had a problem.

Did you temporarily disable CEC? Try 30 fps output? Most content is 24 or 30 fps so there's really no need to run 60 fps unless you have a 3D or UHD and you're watching Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk or The Hobbit.

You could have a problem with the HT-XT1 or the HDMI cable between it and the TV. There could be some abnormal behavior of a connected device. Still not enough information to do anything with. You could always replace the HT-XT1 if you're not going to troubleshoot the issue.
Expert
Message 7 of 19 (374 Views)

I'm able to run a 3840 x 2160 60p signal thru my HT-XT1 and I get no audio or video drop outs. There's something missing here.
Expert
Message 8 of 19 (373 Views)

What color space are you using for each device?
Enthusiast
Message 9 of 19 (338 Views)

Oh! I see what you mean! I will try running each device one at a time through the sound bar and see if one device is causing it. I definitely can’t afford a new sound bar at this point! Smiley LOL

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 19 (337 Views)

One other thing...I’m wondering if because of the way my TV and sound bar are set up, I’m getting interference from my TV power cable? I’ve got them side by side, I separated them last night, and didn’t get any issues for the evening.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook