Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Home Theater Products

Groovin'
BrettNYC

Sony STR-DN1030 Output Problem

Hello,

So I have my Verizon FiOs cable box (SAT/CATV HDMI input), LG Blu-ray player (BD/DVD HDMI input), and Xbox 360 (GAME HDMI input) all hooked up to my Sony STR-DN1030 amplfier that I just bought two weeks ago. When I'm using the cable box, everything outputs fine and the TV shows a great picture. However, there's no signal to the TV whenever I'm using another source like the Xbox 360 or the Blu-ray player. And I can't tell what the problem is. Please help.

- Brett

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
harleyman

Re: Sony STR-DN1030 Output Problem

Sounds like you need to use the GUI and change the HDMI output to passthru.... 

And...You may have a handshake problem...  try to use the  Bluray or X box..Power off everything...power on the reciever, select it to , say X Box, then power on the X box... Do the same with the Bluray too...  Selecting your sorce on the reciever before turning on that sorce will many times allow it to handshake properly

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
BrettNYC

Okay, so the I went into the GUI and changed the CTRL HDMI to On and the Passthrough to ON. Now the Xbox 360 shows a picture successfully! However, the blu ray player still doesn't show a picture and I did try the handshake solution you suggested, still nothing!

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
harleyman

Ok...Hmmmm

Try setting sorce to Bluray,   turn off the Bluray, and turn it back on...

I had a new TV..X Box and Onkyo reciever...It never would show my X box...my only solution was to return (two)Onkyo recievers and get a Sony...  I still have to power up my components in that special order to have the handshake happen right

Whats the chance you have a bad HDMI cable??

Can you go into your Bluray settings and make sure its allowing HDMI @ 1080P ?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
harleyman

Also add your TV into the power off equasion and see what happens...handshaking can be a pain, as HDMI boards are NOT that good or reliable  as I feel that technoligy needs lots of help...

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
BrettNYC

lol, turns out the HDMI cable was broken. Replaced it and it works great now! Got another question though. I have the TV going through the HDMI out and the Monitor Out (Component) is hooked up to a projector. However, the projecter isn't get any signal from the amp. Is there something I have to press to change the output or is it supposed to output both simultaneously?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
harleyman

Great..broken HDMI cables do ****** out loud.

lets see...  You are running your  TV and reciever HDMI..

then you added a projector into the mix, right?  And that is using Component cables from your Reciever??

If so..yes...You will have to switch that to the sorce that its connected to on your Reciever...  PLUS.. You will need to run an Optical cable for sound, as component does not carry sound...

So..You have connected to your Reciever , an X box, and a Bluray player, both using HDMI ..   then you have your Recieverout(HDMI) to your TV ?

so...Adding that projector via component you have to switch to that component output sorce to see your projector.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
BrettNYC

Correct! The inputs (sources) to the AMP are my cable box, xbox and blu-ray player. The amp outputs component to the projector. The sound goes to the speakers that are connected to the back of the AMP, so an optical cable is not needed. How do I switch to that ouput?
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
harleyman

well..  component cables(green, blue, and Hmmmm  Red, i forget) are only video.  Sooo

But... You have to look on the back of your reciever to where the component cables are hooked up at?  

Do you have any choices their, like CD, Phono..Aux..DVD, etc ?

Hang on...I'm gonna get your manual and have a look ...

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
harleyman

Ok..You have for component options....  Sat TV....BD/DVD....Monitor out....

I assume you would want the   Sat Tv or the DVD one...

As far as how to switch that, call sony..they are home now I think

239-768-7547

Please use plain text.