Home Theater Products

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 8 (997 Views)

Sony STR-DN1050 Menu Corruption? Language, icon, and missing menu's

[ Edited ]

I'm having an issue with my receiver.  The menus are either missing, in Japanese, or look corrupted.  It no longer has all of its menus - some are just blank, and many menus are in Japanese.  English is the selected language but it still shows many menu items in a foreign Asian language.  The English menus once you are past Home are in English.

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 8 (491 Views)

Re: Sony STR-DN1050 Menu Corruption? Language, icon, and missing menu's

Did you ever get any feedback on this? I'm having the same issue. I assume its the same faulty HDMI h/w issue most people have been reporting?

20170319_112812.jpg

20170319_112818.jpg

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 8 (473 Views)

Sony Care instructed me to send it back and offered to return it with either a new one or fixed one. Don't remember which. However, I unplugged the unit for a little while, tried grounding the plug (although its always only plugged into a surge protector), and it turned back on good as new.

Its been going pretty rock solid for almost a year since this issue without popping up, so I never sent it back to Sony and forgot about this issue until I received an email from the forum about your reply. I was really annoyed when this happened since the receiver isn't cheap, but I've been using it on a daily basis since we got it and its held up well after this issue went away. Best of luck.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 8 (463 Views)

Ok thanks. I've done the resets, unplugged it, tried firmware updates but nothing seems to fix it. I have a warranty plan that I'm going to use and start a claim before it expires at the end of the year. It worked great for a good 2 years, still does, besides these graphics...

Message 5 of 8 (419 Views)

Hi Mabo_1986,

Welcome to the SONY Community!

I sent you a private message.

Regards,

~Erin

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 8 (148 Views)

I am having the exact same problem you are having.  Even though English is listed as the correct language, I have Japenese/Chinese characters for all the menu options.

IMG_4892.JPG

IMG_4894.JPG

IMG_4895.JPG

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 8 (120 Views)

I too have the exact same problem. What was the fix?

Thanks

John

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 8 (104 Views)

[ Edited ]

So I did a hard reset (power button) - No change.

I unplugged the unit for 30 minutes - No change.

I unplugged the surge protector - No change.

I go to work the next day and spent my lunch hour reasearching any and all possible causes for the menu corruption.  Got all my ducks in a row to call Sony.

I come home, begin to dial up Sony support and notice my menus are all back in English again.  My wife and son likely turned on the unit several times while I was away at work but that's it.

It just fixed itself.  If anything changes, or the problems returns, I'll post it here.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook